#1 pitcher in Rangers history

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• #1 pitcher in Rangers history

Who is the greatest pitcher in Rangers history?
    Charlie Hough
    18.18%
    Kenny Rogers
    13.64%
    Bobby Witt
    0.00%
    Fergie Jenkins
    50.00%
    Kevin Brown
    18.18%
    Rick Helling
    0.00%
    John Wetteland
    0.00%
    Jeff Russell
    0.00%
    Francisco Cordero
    0.00%
    Ron Kline
    0.00%

Wheres the option for Nolan Ryan? I would imagine that considering he is one of the greatest pitchers ever, he finished his career in Texas, and hes also the current president of the team he should be on the list.
    1998 Inaugural Season
    2008 AL Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Matito View Post
      Wheres the option for Nolan Ryan? I would imagine that considering he is one of the greatest pitchers ever, he finished his career in Texas, and hes also the current president of the team he should be on the list.
      Ryan probably should be on the list for the five years he was with Texas, especially 1989. I don't think his current position on the team should have any bearing on this poll, though. What he did for other teams, too, has no bearing.

Yes, he didn't have any year close to what Fergie Jenkins, another HOF'er, did in 1974, but the Rangers haven't had great pitching for an extended period of time, well, ever.

I voted for Brown, but Hough was worth looking at.
      Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
      Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
      Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
      Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
      Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

This is kind of thin picking. You would think between Blyleven, Perry, Jenkins, and Ryan it would be one of them, but they lack a measure of longevity with the team. I went with Hough over Rogers.
        Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

Originally posted by Matito View Post
          There were a lot of pitchers I could have chosen for the last spot instead of Ron Kline. Not real sure what I was thinking there. Ryan's 51-39 record with the Rangers really didn't stand out to me. I'll be sure to add him to the next poll.

Comment

Originally posted by KCGHOST View Post
            This is kind of thin picking. You would think between Blyleven, Perry, Jenkins, and Ryan it would be one of them, but they lack a measure of longevity with the team. I went with Hough over Rogers.
            That would have made for one heck of a nice rotation if they could have all been with the team during their prime at the same time.

Comment

I went with the gambler Kenny Rogers. 133-96 record, 111 ERA+ and 28 saves.

Comment

I had to refrain from voting since Nolan Ryan wasn't listed. Yes, he only pitched for the Rangers for five seasons, but he brought so much to the franchise. Without his signing, the new ballpark probably wouldn't have been built when it was. He led the league in strikeouts two of those seasons, pitched two no-hitters, and notched some major career milestones (300th win and 5000th strikeout). And I certainly made it a point to go to as many of his starts as I could. So I'll have to put in a write-in vote for Nolan Ryan.
                Rockies fan living in Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Danielh41 View Post
                  I had to refrain from voting since Nolan Ryan wasn't listed. Yes, he only pitched for the Rangers for five seasons, but he brought so much to the franchise. Without his signing, the new ballpark probably wouldn't have been built when it was. He led the league in strikeouts two of those seasons, pitched two no-hitters, and notched some major career milestones (300th win and 5000th strikeout). And I certainly made it a point to go to as many of his starts as I could. So I'll have to put in a write-in vote for Nolan Ryan.
                  Alright very well. One write in vote the Ryan Express. That makes it a five way tie for 1st at vote each.

Comment

Originally posted by Danielh41 View Post
                    make that 2 write-in votes for Ryan
                    Baseball Journeyman

Comment

Jenkins gets my vote for those listed, but I would have voted for Ryan as well, had he been listed as an option.

Comment

Based solely on their contributions as Rangers, it was a tough call between Brown and Rogers. I went with Rogers because he was in Texas longer than Brown was. If Brown had stayed longer, he would have won this poll.

Comment

Fergie was the best that they ever had. Nolan was just a .500 pitcher with records.

Why no Rick Honeycutt in the poll?

Comment

I picked Hough just ahead of Jenkins since he lasted longer with the Rangers.

Comment

I place my vote for Jenkins.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X