Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike Maddux named Texas Rangers Pitching Coach for 2009

http://texas.rangers.mlb.com/news/ar...=.jsp&c_id=tex

The Rangers announced Monday that Mike Maddux is joining the club as its pitching coach.
    Maddux, who has spent the past five seasons as the Brewers' pitching coach, was interviewed by the Rangers over the weekend. According to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, Maddux told the Brewers that he was leaving to join the Rangers.

"He's moving on to a better deal that he couldn't turn down," Brewers general manager Doug Melvin told the newspaper. "They overwhelmed him with a huge deal."

Maddux got his start as a pitching coach with the Double-A Round Rock Express in 2000-02. The Express is a Minor League team owned by Rangers president Nolan Ryan.

The Rangers also interviewed former Athletics and Mets pitching coach Rick Peterson and Dave Wallace, who held that job with the Dodgers, Red Sox, Mets and Astros. Peterson was recommended by manager Ron Washington but they held out for Maddux, who did not become available until his contract with the Brewers expired this weekend. The Rangers moved in quickly to snatch him up.

He takes over a pitching staff that finished last in the Major Leagues in ERA in 2008. He replaces Andy Hawkins, who held the job for the final two months of the season and will likely end up as the bullpen coach.

Well, lets just see how Maddux works out.

Can't be any worse than some of the PC's we've had this decade.

*coughOscarAcostacough*
    Texas Rangers: Estabalished 1972 (Arlington, Texas)

Games played at The Ballpark In Arlington (est. 1994)

World Series Titles: 0 (Damn you David Freese, DAMN YOU!)

American League Pennants: 2 (2010, 2011)

American League West Division Titles: 7 (1996, 1998, 1999, 2010, 2011, 2015, 2016)

American League Wild Card Berths: 1 (2012) (grumble)

It will always be The Ballpark In Arlington to me

Maddux has surely picked a challenge for himself, but I can see the reasoning. If he could give this offensively loaded team a good pitching staff they could get a ring.

Comment

I'm sure his role is going to be less teaching Millwood and Padilla how to be good and more bringing up the huge wealth of young pitching talent we've got coming up over the next few years.
      Hey, this is my public apology for suddenly disappearing and missing out on any projects I may have neglected.

Comment

it's not shocking news, kinda knew it was going to happen 2 months ago. The only thing that is interesting is seeing what the product on the field looks like. And who is going to fit into Ryan's program.
        "Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer." - Ted Williams :gt

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X