Rangers sign Jimmy Gobble

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rangers sign Jimmy Gobble

The Texas Rangers announced late Saturday the signing of free-agent reliever Jimmy Gobble to a minor league contract.

The left-hander, who was released Friday by the Kansas City Royals, will be in big league spring training Sunday. Gobble, 27, is a six-year veteran who was 0-2 with an 8.81 ERA in 31 2/3 innings last year with KC.

The Rangers have two left-handers who are considered locks for the bullpen, former All-Star closer Eddie Guardado and 2008 closer C.J. Wilson. Both of them, however, have suffered from injuries recently.

Wilson had a blister on his middle finger but threw an inning Saturday against Colorado. Guardado has complained of a sore shoulder but has thrown bullpen sessions the past two days.

http://rangersblog.dallasnews.com/ar...my-gobble.html

That 8.81 ERA is a little deceptive (and I would hope so!). Gobble gave up some bombs to right handed hitters he had no business pitching to (Konerko, Lowell) He's effective if limited to lefties. Not a bad depth move, considering the injury issues with Wilson and Guardado.
    "You have probably heard that I use my scorecard to convey information. Since our opponents know this, they keep a close watch on every movement I make with my scorecard, but this is fortified with many other devices."

-Connie Mack

Comment

There was one outing he had last year when he was pitching against the Tigers and couldn't throw a strike, but they left him in there. Once he began to find the zone guys just smacked him around for like 8 runs, might have been more.

Comment

That didn't last long...

According to MLB.com's T.R. Sullivan, the Rangers released lefty reliever Jimmy Gobble today. They'll go with C.J. Wilson and Eddie Guardado as southpaws in the pen. The Rangers had signed Gobble on March 21st after the Royals let him go. Gobble can still get lefties out, and can be retained by his new team for 2010 as an arbitration-eligible player.
        http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X