Michael Young Retires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michael Young Retires

My favorite Ranger ever since I moved back here to Texas in 2007. Excellent player, great person. I was really hoping he would stay healthy and productive long enough to get to 3000 hits and a possible Hall of Fame plaque, but that isn't going to happen now. Here is the article from mlb.com about Young's retirement. The guy still holds many of the Rangers all-time records, and will always be remembered as a fine leader and an exceptional man. I hope he does accept the invite to come back to the Rangers in some capacity. Either way, enjoy the retirement #10, and thanks for the memories!

Longtime Rangers staple Young retires
    Former AL batting champ hangs up spikes after 14 seasons

By T.R. Sullivan / MLB.com | 1/30/2014 9:13 P.M. ET

ARLINGTON -- Michael Young, who is the Rangers' all-time leader in multiple offensive categories, including hits and runs scored, is hanging up his spikes after 14 Major League seasons. Young will announce his retirement as a Texas Ranger at a 4 p.m. CT news conference on Friday at the Ballpark in Arlington. TexasRangers.com will stream the event live.

Young, 37, played with the Rangers from 2000-12 before being traded to the Phillies last winter. Young played in 126 games with the Phillies before being traded to the Dodgers on Aug. 31. He ended his career as a pinch-hitter for the Dodgers during the National League playoffs.

The Rangers issued the following statement on Thursday night:

"The Texas Rangers want to congratulate Michael Young on his outstanding Major League career. For 12 seasons in a Rangers uniform, he was a standout performer on the field and the consummate role model in the community.

"Michael is a leader, and he demonstrated those skills every day of the season, year in and year out. We are proud to say that Michael Young is this franchise's all-time leader in games, at bats, runs, hits, doubles, triples and total bases. He excelled at multiple positions and came through in the clutch.

"When Texas advanced to postseason play in 2010 after an 11-year drought, teammates and fans everywhere were especially happy that Michael had reached the playoffs. And he was an integral performer in those Rangers' back-to-back World Series runs.

"The Rangers wish Michael, his wife, Cristina, and sons Mateo, Emilio, and Antonio the very best as they enter a new chapter in their lives. And we want them to know there will always be a place for the Youngs in the Texas Rangers family."

Young was a seven-time All-Star who won the 2005 American League batting title and was the Most Valuable Player of the 2006 All-Star Game with a game-winning two-run triple off Trevor Hoffman at PNC Park. He finished with a career average of .300 and twice led the AL in hits. He also won a Gold Glove Award for his fielding at shortstop in 2008.

Young ended 2013 14th among active players with 1,970 games played, 16th with 1,137 runs scored, eighth with 2,375 hits and 13th with 441 doubles.

Young, a native of Los Angeles, was drafted by the Blue Jays in the fifth round of the 1997 First-Year Player Draft out of the UC-Santa Barbara. On July 19, 2000, he was traded to the Rangers along with pitcher Darwin Cubillan for pitcher Esteban Loaiza.

It ranks as one of the most significant trades in Rangers history. Young, called up on the final weekend of the season, made his Major League debut on Sept. 29, 2000, as a pinch-runner in the ninth inning of a 7-5 loss to the Athletics. He was 0-for-2 the following day as the Rangers lost, 23-2, in the final game of the season.

Young started the next season in Triple-A, but was called up on May 25 when Rangers second baseman Randy Velarde went on the disabled list with a strained left hamstring muscle. On May 27, he started at second base and singled in the fifth inning off Orioles pitcher Scott Erickson. He remained in the Rangers' lineup for 12 years, spending time at all four infield positions.

Young was the Rangers' second baseman through 2003. After that season, the Rangers traded shortstop Alex Rodriguez to the Yankees for second baseman Alfonso Soriano and infielder Joaquin Arias. The trade was made just before Spring Training, and there was great uncertainty which player would move to shortstop. Young settled the issue by volunteering to move and allow a reluctant Soriano to stay at second base.

Young ended up making the All-Star team for the first time in '04 and spent five seasons as the Rangers' shortstop. He moved to third base in '09 to make room for Elvis Andrus at shortstop. Two years later, Young reluctantly agreed to relinquish third base after the Rangers signed free agent Adrian Beltre. Young spent his final two seasons with the Rangers as a designated hitter and utility infielder.

He played in 34 postseason games for the Rangers when they went to two straight World Series in 2010-11. His three-run home run in Game 2 of the 2010 AL Division Series helped carry the Rangers to a 6-0 victory over the Rays. In Game 6 of the 2011 ALCS, Young had three hits, including a home run and five RBIs, in the Rangers' 15-5 series-clinching victory over the Tigers.

The Rangers traded him after the 2012 season to the Phillies for pitchers Josh Lindblom and Lisalverto Bonilla. Young reportedly turned down offers from the Dodgers and the Brewers this offseason, opting to retire and spend more time with his family.

T.R. Sullivan is a reporter for MLB.com. Read his blog, Postcards from Elysian Fields, and follow him on Twitter @Sullivan_Ranger. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
    "It ain't braggin' if you can do it." Dizzy Dean

Just posted this in the current events forum:

Outstanding. Micahel Young DID get to retire with the Rangers! It sounds like the Dodgers offered him a nice deal with plenty of playing time to keep him going for both 3,000 hits and a World Series ring - but he turned it down to spend more time with his family. That sounds like the Michael Young we always heard so much about down here. The guy was a perfect face of this franchise here in Texas. I wish him and his family the best.

From mlb.com:

Young returns to Arlington to say goodbye

By T.R. Sullivan / MLB.com | 1/31/2014 7:34 P.M. ET

ARLINGTON -- On Friday, one year after saying goodbye to Rangers fans at a news conference in Dallas, Michael Young returned to the Ballpark in Arlington to do it all over again.

A Rangers offseason usually isn't over without one big event involving Young, and this was the biggest of them all. Flanked by general manager Jon Daniels and manager Ron Washington, Young made it official by announcing his retirement from baseball after a 14-year Major League career.

Young spent 13 of those 14 seasons with the Rangers. He was with the Phillies and the Dodgers last season but officially retired with the Rangers as he and his two oldest sons, Mateo and Emilio, were presented with jerseys by Daniels and Washington.

"I played with two great organizations last year, and I had a blast, but my time in Texas was the 13 best years of my life," Young said. "I was very fortunate to be a part of an organization where one day didn't go by that I didn't feel valued. I felt it from everyone all the time. Even when we hit some bumps, I never felt I wasn't valued. There were always good intentions, and I'm very thankful for that."

Young is retiring even though he had a substantial offer from the Dodgers that included a significant role. He made the decision because he wanted to spend more time with his family, which also includes wife Cristina and youngest son Antonio. He still makes his home in Dallas.

"The Dodgers offered me a great role," he said. "At no point do I want to disrespect what the Dodgers offered. The way they defined my role, I would have been on the field a ton. I felt I had a spot where I could have racked up a lot of at-bats. But my family meant more to me.

"This was a better option for me. As much as I love baseball, I'm ready for the next chapter of my life. These boys are the driving reason why I am doing this. Everybody loves to talk about family, but you have to dig in and be there every day. When something goes wrong, I want to be the first one they see every day."

During what was an emotional afternoon, Young thanked everybody, from his family to the Rangers' front office and field staff to his teammates.

He also thanked the Rangers fans.

"I can't say enough about them," he said. "They welcomed me with open arms and were behind me in good times and in bad. It was my honor to play in front of them every day. I owe this community everything."

Young played 1,823 games for the Rangers, the most in club history. He is also the Rangers' all-time leader in many offensive categories. including runs, hits, doubles, triples and total bases.

"This is Michael's day, obviously, but we're proud and honored to be a small part of it, as he has a chance to retire as a Ranger," Daniels said. "We all know Michael's list of accomplishments. He was as accomplished, revered and respected as any player who has ever played in our organization."

Washington praised Young for being the "ultimate teammate" and talked about his professionalism, character, positive attitude, discipline, class and self-motivation.

"You look up character in the dictionary, and there was Michael's face," Washington said. "He was a champion, no doubt about it. He was a champion in every way."

Washington also urged Young to connected to the game in some capacity.

"I don't think this game will be able to survive without Michael Young in it," Washington said.

Washington doesn't have to worry about Young wanting his job. Young is not interested in managing, but he is interested in staying around the game. At some point he will likely take a part-time role with the Rangers as a special assistant, similar to what Ivan Rodriguez and Greg Maddux are doing.

"I'm open to it, but I'm in no rush," Young said. "If I was in a rush to stay in the game, I would have signed with the Dodgers. I want to get back in the game. It's a huge part of who I am. I love it."

Young, a native of Los Angeles, was drafted by the Blue Jays in the fifth round of the 1997 First-Year Player Draft out of UC Santa Barbara. On July 19, 2000, he was traded to the Rangers, along with pitcher Darwin Cubillan, for pitcher Esteban Loaiza.

Broadcaster Steve Busby, who served as the emcee on Friday, said, "I don't think anybody realized the lasting impression Esteban Loaiza would have on this organization."

Young was called up to the big leagues for the final weekend of the 2000 season when the injury-riddled Rangers were running out of players. He had his first Major League at-bat in a 23-2 loss to the Athletics on the final day of the season.

It was a portent to the start of Young's career. He became their starting second baseman on May 25, 2001, but the Rangers finished last that season and would do so for the next two. Young survived those dark years and, having signed two contract extensions, was around when the Rangers broke through, going to the World Series in 2010 and 2011.

The Rangers lost to the Giants in five games in 2010. That doesn't bother Young as much as when the Rangers, with a 3-2 Series lead in 2011, couldn't put away the Cardinals in Game 6. Twice they were one strike away from winning the title, but the Cardinals rallied for a 10-9 victory and then won Game 7.

"It still eats inside me a lot," he said. "I'm over it, but I'm not. I don't think about it much, but when I do, I get a sick feeling inside my stomach. In 2010 we just got outplayed. In 2011, I mean no disrespect to the Cardinals -- they have a great organization and I have a ton of respect for them -- but we were better."

Young was a seven-time All-Star, the 2005 American League batting champion and the Most Valuable Player of the 2006 All-Star Game. He was a five-time winner of the Rangers Player of the Year Award. He twice led the league in hits, and finished with 2,375. At 37, he still has time to chase 3,000 hits and put himself in serious consideration for the Hall of Fame, but instead he will have to be content with the Rangers Hall of Fame in a few years and more time with his family.

"That was more important to me than a number," he said.

T.R. Sullivan is a reporter for MLB.com. Read his blog, Postcards from Elysian Fields, and follow him on Twitter @Sullivan_Ranger. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

Comment

http://m.mlb.com/video/v31331953/lon...ter-14-seasons

What a gentleman.

Incredibly overlooked. Almost invisible. Surreptitiously amassed 2375 hits and a .300 career average......

Comment

Awesome, Chris, thanks for posting that here! He was, no he is, a great guy. By far my favorite while I have been down here in the Lone Star State, and I am happy that the Rangers gave him that opportunity and that he came out to do it. Wonderful.

Comment

For awhile there he looked like he was on a definite H.O.F. trajectory. He still put together a great career and should receive more consideration than he will in 5 years. I have no doubt they're going to one and done him, which will be a shame.

Comment

Thanks "Slick"! Thanks #10!
            Texas Rangers: Estabalished 1972 (Arlington, Texas)

Games played at The Ballpark In Arlington (est. 1994)

World Series Titles: 0 (Damn you David Freese, DAMN YOU!)

American League Pennants: 2 (2010, 2011)

American League West Division Titles: 7 (1996, 1998, 1999, 2010, 2011, 2015, 2016)

American League Wild Card Berths: 1 (2012) (grumble)

It will always be The Ballpark In Arlington to me

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X