Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do Jays fans feel about trading for Julio Lugo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do Jays fans feel about trading for Julio Lugo?

There has been a lot of speculation in Tampa Bay of where he will be traded to. He currently makes $4.95 mil a year, and is looking for an $8-9 mil 3-4 year deal in free agency, based on what SS's were getting in the '05 offseason. We cannot and will not pay that rate to a SS, and he is being shopped. The Mets want him, and would move him to 2B, but the Rays want Aaron Heilman, and the Mets don't want to give him up. Plus, after the Zambrano-Kazmir rape of a deal, I don't think the Mets ever want to make another trade with us.

The Jays are the next team being talked about, as you guys have used Russ Adams and John McDonald in that role, with mixed results. Lugo is a leader on the Rays, bats leadoff, has some pop in his bat, but is an average fielder. He can be a spark plug in your lineup. Rays management has said trading within the division is not a problem, as long as we get quality back in return. Pitching is still a priority with our organization, as we have a lot of young position players at the major league level and AAA, ready and anxious to step up. It's pitching where we struggle.

What do you feel would be a fair trade offer for Lugo? I don't know the Jays farm system to know if you have any major league ready SPs just looking for their shot. Is Josh Towers still a prospect or has his time passed? Does Casey Jansen fit into your long term plans? Thoughts?
    Please visit http://sportsfeedia.com/ for the latest RSS feed updates on all your favorite sports and teams (my son created it and is the owner )

Now that Macdonald seems to be the everyday shortstop, I don't think the results are mixed at all. His defense is stellar, making highlight reels every other day it seems. The Jays have a lot of pop at the plate already and can absorb his offensive weakness. What the Jays need is another starter. Someone to come in on day 4 behind Lilly and not be a pencilled in loss. Someone who can take the do or die pressure off Jansen so that he can develop at the 5 spot. Marcum looked great in his start last week but Gibbons only let him pitch 5 innings, I think he threw 60 some odd pitches.
    Personally, I think with less micro managing of the pitching staff by Gibbons, a proven starter for the 4th spot, Burnett pitching like he did last night and the absence of Hillenbrand the Jays may do well to stand pat.

Comment

Gm

Is JP Ricciardi content to stand pat, though? He seems to be feeling the pressure too of investing $100mil on Burnett and Ryan, and may feel he needs to keep adding more to try and overtake NY or BOS. Speaking of Gibbons, is he a Larry Bowa-type, super intense manager who wears on a clubhouse over the course of a season?

EDIT- Ken Rosenthal on Fox's Game of the Week just reported the Jays have already offered the reliever you got from the Giants, Jeremy Accardo, for Lugo, straight up.
      Last edited by raysnbran; 07-22-2006, 10:12 AM.
      Please visit http://sportsfeedia.com/ for the latest RSS feed updates on all your favorite sports and teams (my son created it and is the owner )

Comment

In my opinion, the Jays don't need another average fielder. They have Adams to fill that role. Mind you, he would be below average at this point.
        They need a starter. I sure hope Rosenthal is wrong, or that the offer doesn't get accepted. The Jays are rallying around as a team right now as they recover from the Hillenbrand fiasco, and the chemistry may be a little fragile. Another "leader" is not what they need.
        The final chapter hasn't been written on the Gibbons/Hillenbrand situation. I have not been much of a fan of Gibbons from the get go. I don't like the way he manages the pitching staff and challenging a player to a fist fight shows a lack of professionalism that would get most of us in our jobs fired on the spot. That may be the heat that JP will end up feeling the most when all is said and done.
        They have really shown their stuff with the Yankees over the last couple of games and Rios is coming back soon. I would like to see them left alone except maybe for the aquisition of a 4th starter as I said earlier.
        Just my 2 cents worth. That's all!!

Comment

McDonald gives the team great defence. They dont need more offense, they have enough. More would be nice but it would not be worth defensive liablity anywhere like Lugo would give you. Keep 2nd base and shortstop both as is now.

Comment

I agree. We don't need another bat or average infielder. We need a LONG reliever to eat up innings.

Comment

We have enough bats for two teams. Get a pitcher.

Comment

The Jays need a long reliever. But the prospect of trading Josh Towers straight up for anyone is always intruiging.
                Like Maple Syrup, Canada's evil oozes over the United States.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris from NY
                  The Jays need a long reliever. But the prospect of trading Josh Towers straight up for anyone is always intruiging.
                  I agree that middle relief is the biggest hole (apart from Gibbons' startlingly trigger-happy hook--who takes a pitcher out after 76 pitches, throwing a one-hitter through five? Or Ted Lilly after six on Saturday, or Halladay Thursday, or uses four pitchers in an eight-run win, or....), but what could you possibly get for Towers right now?

Comment

first of all, dont believe rosenthal, he's always making up bullsh*t rumors everytime i turn on the tv. second, i've been very outspoken about getting lugo and i just don't think the jays need him. right now we have hill on fire right now and mcdonald gives us an amazing glove that everyone has wanted and he is doing it with the stick right now too. i would rather keep accardo then trade him for lugo.

Comment

If the Hays were to get JUlio Lugo, which I don't think is neccessary, why couldn't they just wait until he becomes a free agent? I am fairly certain he is going to be a free agent, and the Jays would probably have the money to spend on him if they wanted.
                      Like Maple Syrup, Canada's evil oozes over the United States.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X