Most underrated Blue Jay ever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most underrated Blue Jay ever

I was just thinking the other day about the largely forgotten Mark Eichhorn. He may be the most underrated Jay of all time. Middle relievers generally get very little respect in baseball, but in my view they are often more valuable than the closers with their silly saves statistic. Give me a long reliever who can log a lot of innings over a two-innings-per-week closer any day.

Anyway, here are some things to think about with respect to Eichhorn:

In 1986, he pitched a mind-boggling 157 innings in relief, with a 1.72 ERA and 14(!) wins (against 6 losses)! His ERA went up in subsequent years, but it was still respectable while logging a lot of innings. I think his workhorse nature made him invaluable to his team.

The other player I would put into the underrated category is native Paul Quantrill, who was similar to Eichhorn in work ethic and value. Do you think we could use pitchers like them this year?

So, who is your underrated Jay?

I've got a couple.

Fred McGriff. He never received any respect...

Also, Dave Steib was always solid and virtually unknown.
    WAR? Prove it!

Trusted Traders: ttmman21, Dalkowski110, BoofBonser26, Kearns643, HudsonHarden, Extra Innings, MadHatter, Mike D., J.P., SShifflett

Comment

I guess it depends whether you mean underrated by Jays fans or the world in general, because Stieb and McGriff certainly weren't underrated here in Toronto! As fro Eichorn, I still know those stats you gave by heart. That was an astounding season--and it brings into relief (pun (un)intended) the Jays horrible problems with middle relief this year. If we had Eichhorn, we'd be five games ahead of Boston!

As to your original question, how about Candy Maldonado's contribution to that 1991 title?

And has anyone won a Cy Young more quietly than Pat Hentgen?

Duane Ward...while Henke was being held for save situations, Ward had to hold the game together in the 7th.

Comment

Originally posted by Shoeless
        As to your original question, how about Candy Maldonado's contribution to that 1991 title?
        When you bring up Candy don't forget the walk-off hit in game 4 of the '92 World Series.

But if we're talking underrated we don't really have to look any further then Ed Sprague, he played good defence once he shifted over to playing 3rd regularly, and he could hit well. Plus that clutch homer in the '92 Series kinda makes him easier to name on here.
        B.J. Birdie: 1979 - 1999. You will never be forgotten, death to Ace.

Comment

Originally posted by jays632
          When you bring up Candy don't forget the walk-off hit in game 4 of the '92 World Series.

But if we're talking underrated we don't really have to look any further then Ed Sprague, he played good defence once he shifted over to playing 3rd regularly, and he could hit well. Plus that clutch homer in the '92 Series kinda makes him easier to name on here.
          Oops! I meant '92, of course! (Boy do I look stupid!)

Comment

Everybody looks stupid once and a while. That's just the way life is. Personally, that is why I talk to people on the internet, because I look stupid.
            Like Maple Syrup, Canada's evil oozes over the United States.

Comment

Hey Chris, how do you come to be a baseball fan in Regina? I know lots of guys from there (mostly musicians now living in Toronto), and not one knows the first thing about the game.

Comment

Well, Regina isn't really way out in the boonies. I grew up watching my dad play beer league softball. (I now play on the same team as him. ) Winter was hockey time, and playing baseball was/ is way better than playing soccer. So it was little league and Jays games in between hockey season. Also, musicians aren't always the best people to ask about things other than music. Being a drummer with alot of musician friends, they're not into anything but music.
                Like Maple Syrup, Canada's evil oozes over the United States.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X