Montreal vs. Toronto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wilkerson_rulz
    I live in Quebec. Some people tell me they have no respect for baseball. And I've read and hear and saw people who say: ''The quebecois have no respect for our pastime''
    Wilkerson can I ask are you english or french speaking. I ask cos on my admittedly very few visits to see the Expos I was struck by how little French I heard in the stadium compared to outside. I respect your feel for the game but the french point remains.

Comment

Originally posted by eurobaser
      Wilkerson can I ask are you english or french speaking. I ask cos on my admittedly very few visits to see the Expos I was struck by how little French I heard in the stadium compared to outside. I respect your feel for the game but the french point remains.
      I am English speaking and have nothing against my fellow citizens. The point is that more English speaking people went to see the Expos than french. Most french people just waited outside, maybe in a bar or sports restaurant.

I hope this answers your question
      Cristobal

Comment

You have to wonder how 14% of Quebecers whose mother tongue is English living in Montreal can support a baseball team in a province of only 7 million people.
        Last edited by runningshoes; 11-23-2005, 06:16 AM.
        "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
        Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Originally posted by westsidegrounds
          From 1979 through 1983 the Expos topped 2 million fans four times, while the NL average never reached 1.8 million.

In 1983 2,320,651 fans turned up at Stade Olympique compared to a league average of 1,795,774.

Total nosedive the next season: 1,606,531 Montrealers compared to the NL avg of 1,731,786. The Expos had below-league-average attendances from then on.

What happened in 1984?
          They traded Gary Carter. Andre Dawson would be gone a couple years later. Seeing the exodus of these big name players, even though they were replaced with some good young players through the farm system, had to have been hurtful to the bottom line.
          Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
          Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
          Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
          Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
          Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Cold Nose
            They traded Gary Carter. Andre Dawson would be gone a couple years later. Seeing the exodus of these big name players, even though they were replaced with some good young players through the farm system, had to have been hurtful to the bottom line.

Well ..... you can't only go to the ballpark when the team is contending. If fans won't support a team that's aging, or rebuilding, or whatever, simply out of loyalty to that team, then the ownership is entitled to question how much they owe those fans.

Comment

It's a damn shame. Montreal is, of course, a hockey town, but it does have an impressive baseball history. This was the town where the Dodgers sent their prospects. This is the town that seasoned Jackie Robinson before he broke the colour barrier.

It's too bad the Expos had to play their home games in that atrocious money-pit known as Olympic Stadium.
              1992 & 1993 World Series Champions

Comment

A new stadium would have helped for a few years, but how can the city gain interest in a team that consistantly put teams on the field that don't make the postseason? Sure they had sum over .500 teams, but they just couldn't make the big step to the postseason.
                1903 1912 1915 1916 1918 2004 2007

1904 1946 1967 1975 1986

1975 1986 1988 1990 1995 2007

Comment

I've always viewed Montreal as mainly Canadian sports, not American sports. They just could'nt get enough fans to wanna watch them. BTW, Boston, can't you put 2004 World Series Champs as your sig?
                  "I don't like to sound egotistical, but every time I stepped up to the plate with a bat in my hands, I couldn't help but feel sorry for the pitcher."
                  -Rogers Hornsby-

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
                  -Rogers Hornsby-

Just a note to all the active members of BBF, I consider all of you the smartest baseball people I have ever communicated with and love everyday I am on here. Thank you all!

Comment

id have to see it as two places who are hockey towns... going to a very american like town toronto, and trying to learn quebec dialect of french... i would have to in my opinion say it is a combination of no real word for baseball, the braves, and the english speaking of ontario... basketball failed miserably in vancouver, montreal baseball fails, but toronto, prolly the most americanized city in canada accepts it... prolly the amount of americans that pour into ontario vs. british columbia and quebec are prolly a huge reason...
                    HEY! Cleveland! two words JOHN ELWAY! put that in your pipe and smoke it Browns fan!

Comment

Je Me Souviens - I Remember

I think Montreal moved mainly because of competition from other sports but also because of the lack of investment in the stadium and team and an unstable fan base. Baseball is bigger in the english speaking population and recent separation woes have not helped lure new french speaking fans. Recent Eurpoean immigrants to Canada don't like baseball and minor baseball has been replaced by soccer in Canada as a result. Like it says on the Quebec licence plates "Je Me Souviens"-"I Remember". Baseball in Quebec is but a memory.
                      I remember as a kid growing up in Toronto, during the pre-Blue Jays era, Montreal was never very popular among my group of peers. We hated thier Hockey team so much, it would have been disloyal to our Leafs to cheer on the Expos (even if they were the only Canadian baseball team in the Majors). My favourite team back then was the Cincinnati Reds. Mainly because of Manager Sparky Anderson, who played in Toronto briefly for the old Toronto Maple Leaf ball club.
                      George Bell Fan

Comment

I think the fire sale in 1994 really left a bitter taste in people's mouths. Olympic Stadium is a big concrete tomb that should never have hosted a baseball team. Montreal made the mistake of not renovating the stadium like Atlanta did with Turner Field. The area where the stadium is in isn't very nice, not to mention that it isn't anywhere near downtown.

The Jays just haven't had an incident such as the 1995 firesale after such a promising season that alienated so much of the fanbase that it sent the franchise down. I don't know alot about how the Francophone/Anglophone demographics affect the demise of the Expos although as many posters have pointed out the attendance started going south in the mid 1980's, which is around the time that the 1st Anglophone exodus began.

Comment

I'm another one of these hardcore Montreal baseball fans, and I really think, baseball collapsed here after the 94 strike......
                          We were averaging 28 000 a game before
                          And then, we only averaged 12 000 a game....
                          Look at the differance....

And RedSox2004 is right, most Anglopones and big companies left Montreal in the early 80's because they were scared Quebec was going to be an independant province.

Although, baseball WILL work in Montreal in the next 10 to 15 years as demographic professionals predict the coming of lots of anglophones to the beaUtiful city.
                          REMEMBER THE EXPOS

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X