Platoon at C ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Platoon at C ???

At the beginning of the season I would have been crazy to say this but look at Zaun's and Molina's Gs (63:76) and ABs (185:281) the ABs aren't nearly as close as the Gs due to the beginning of the season when Molina was the everyday starter , but now , in the later portion of the season , Zaun and Molina seem to be platooning like Catalanotto and Johnson .

Gregg is a very capable catcher who is good enough to be a starter. It's just a matter of Gibbon's wanting them to both get plenty of time in. Bengie doesn't seem to like it much though.
    Like Maple Syrup, Canada's evil oozes over the United States.

Comment

I pray to God that Riccardi does not pick up Molina's option which is 7.5 million dollars!!! We can just re-sign Zaun who is a capable no 1 catcher and have Phillips back him up. With the money saved from Molina and maybe Lily we can hopefully get Zito or perhaps even Buehrle.

Comment

Originally posted by Reed Johnson
        I pray to God that Riccardi does not pick up Molina's option which is 7.5 million dollars!!! We can just re-sign Zaun who is a capable no 1 catcher and have Phillips back him up. With the money saved from Molina and maybe Lily we can hopefully get Zito or perhaps even Buehrle.
        Sorry to tell you this but Jason Phillips has just been DFAed by the Jays.

Comment

Originally posted by TheKingofKings
          Sorry to tell you this but Jason Phillips has just been DFAed by the Jays.
          Which means he'll most likely go to the minors but realistically, I think his tenure's over.

Actually, the Jays do need a no 3 catcher in the minors.
          Cristobal

Comment

no way should jp pick up molina's option. he is a good catcher but zaun is also very capable. molina isn't what i expected this year, i would assume he is out.

Comment

I was at all 3 games in of the White Sox series this weekend and watched Molina very closely after his whining of last week. He caught quite well today, hit a home run and threw out a runner at second. On Friday night he couldn't catch a ball to save his soul. He was more like a goaltender than a catcher. Zaun has heart and passion. He is the one that basically told Hillenbrand to put up and shut up. I would be quite happy to see him be the Jays number 1 catcher with Phillips and perhaps another signing of a back up.

Comment

Molina is better than Zaun. But it's not a $6.5 million difference. Zaun is a good catcher. He (along with Reed Johnson) is my favourite Jay. He plays with heart, and is comitted to the team. We would be perfectly fine with Zaun as our starting catcher next year. JP definitly shouldn't pick up that option, and like ReedJohnson said, maybe we can get a starter from the money saved here (although Zito or Buehrle might be wishful thinking).

Edit: See my next post. I realize that the money is not "saved".
                Last edited by Richmond Hill Phoenix; 08-18-2006, 10:05 PM.
                WAMCO!

Comment

So, Bengie finally decides to play his worth once he gets some unobstructed playing time...

Can't say I'd be disappointed to see him come back, though $7.5million's quite a hit to take
                  Self-proclaimed President of the Bring Back Kelly movement

Comment

Originally posted by Reed Johnson
                    Zito? Buehrle? With that money, I'd gladly sign back free agents Lilly, Speier, and Catalanotto.

Comment

If the Blue Jays choose not to exercise the 7.5 milion dollar option on Bengie Molina, the money does not count as "saved for next year". Since it is an option, it's not counted towards the salary for next year (as it is not "confirmed"). Since it doesn't yet count, there's no way it can be saved.

However, the Jays have saved around $4 million from the two deals they made. Might be enough to sign Cat and Lilly (or maybe someone a little better than Lilly).

In my opinion, they should forget about Speier. They have plenty of young arms that can fill the role.
                      WAMCO!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X