John Gibbons?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Gibbons?

How do Jays fans feel about the manager? I ask because I was just reading about his altercation with Ted Lilly. I couldn't help but think about the earlier incident with Shea Hillenbrand. The two incidents comprise about all I know about Gibbons. Is he a hot-head? Is he in control of his team? And if so, are Lilly and Hillenbrand just a couple of bad seeds that aren't on board with the team? What about Gibbons managerial skills in general?

Thanks.

DX

Originally posted by DoubleX
    How do Jays fans feel about the manager? I ask because I was just reading about his altercation with Ted Lilly. I couldn't help but think about the earlier incident with Shea Hillenbrand. The two incidents comprise about all I know about Gibbons. Is he a hot-head? Is he in control of his team? And if so, are Lilly and Hillenbrand just a couple of bad seeds that aren't on board with the team? What about Gibbons managerial skills in general?

Thanks.

DX
    He is an idiot who thinks it's neccessary to pull a right hander when a left hander comes to bat being down by 10 runs.
    Last edited by bluejaysfan4ever; 08-21-2006, 06:45 PM.

Comment

If he had any guts, he would switch to a four-man rotation and use Ryan when needed, not just in the ninth with a three run lead. His misuse of the bullpen has cost the team many wins this year.

Comment

First the Hillenbrand thing, now the Ted Lilly thing....one has to wonder, has Gibbons lost control of his own team? And one also needs to ask the question, Who in the clubhouse is going to step up and take leadership of this team? Halladay, Vernon Wells, Troy Glaus?

Comment

I don't so much think it's a question of whether Gibbons has lost control of the team so much as I think he's just lost his mind. He's acting like a child in thinking fighting his players will somehow accomplish anything which it won't. Fire him now and maybe the season can be salvagable. Cause really this is getting stupid. Chances are his players are now afraid to so much as ask him a question about a tactic for fear of suddenly having to dodge a punch. Gibbons sucks, just fire him now and let Ernie Whitt try to turn things around by the end of the year.
          B.J. Birdie: 1979 - 1999. You will never be forgotten, death to Ace.

Comment

From a very outsiders perspective, it looks really bad when a manager physically confronts not one, but two players. Do you guys think he'll be fired after (or even during) the season?

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleX

Thanks.

DX
              I don't think Lilly is a bad seed. He had just blown an 8 run lead and his emotions got the best of him. As for Gibbons, I think he is a loose cannon. He lacks the professionalism to be in the position he is in and lacks the ability, wisdom or whatever to manage a pitching staff. JP has stood by him, but I hope we have a new manager in the spring. Maybe Pineilla!! (speaking of loose cannons)

Comment

I can see both Gibbons and Lilly staying for the rest of this season, as a manager change won't make us up 8 or 9 games, but for next season, I can't see either coming back.
                Self-proclaimed President of the Bring Back Kelly movement

Comment

A second incident with a player in just a couple months makes one wonder. Of course, if Lilly hadn't acted unprofessionally to start with this wouldn't have occurred. Let's hope Ricciardi & Co. properly evaluate what is really happening and take the proper action.
                  Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

Originally posted by KCGHOST
                    A second incident with a player in just a couple months makes one wonder. Of course, if Lilly hadn't acted unprofessionally to start with this wouldn't have occurred. Let's hope Ricciardi & Co. properly evaluate what is really happening and take the proper action.
                    True, but I bet it's a pretty common occurrence for a pitcher to be frustrated on the mound and not wanting to come out of a game. I don't really see how a manager can be holding the ship together when he so aggressively confronts players. I suppose he could get away with it, like Ozzie Guillen or Billy Martin, if he was successful, but Gibbons hasn't had that kind of success (not yet at least). A manager has to be in control of his emotions and his players - Gibbons doesn't seem to be in control of either.

Comment

Gibbons is an agressive manager, I like that, he uses his bullpen fluently and is tough on his players.

He can however, overreact sometimes.

Heck, I'd be pissed too if my pitcher just gave up 7 runs in 2 innings with an 8-0 lead.
                      Cristobal

Comment

Gibbons should consider taking a leave of absence to take care of his issues at home. His father is very ill and the stress of that along with the stress of trying to make a playoff spot seems to be more than he can handle. Whitt could step in quite easily and John could go be with his dad. Maybe we should cut him some slack and talk about the real story of last nights game.
                        The defense of John Macdonald. He was incredible.

Comment

Originally posted by starkeeper
                          The defense of John Macdonald. He was incredible.
                          That DP was because of Hill's arm, not McDonald's soft toss preced by a bobble.
                          Cristobal

Comment

Sure, Gibbons is an aggressive manager, and he has definately made his fair share of mistakes. But Hillenbrand clearly played for no one but himself. He has had run-ins everywhere he has been. What Lilly did was completely disrespectful. With an 8-0 lead, he started making awful 0-2 and 1-2 pitches and still expected that he deserved a chance to get himself out of the inning. I bet if you looked it up, Lilly has an incentive in his contract for number of innings pitched, and nearing the close of the season he needed all the innings he could get.
                            "You're not always going to be perfect, but I always try to be. If making an error doesn't make you mad, what's the point? Why put all the work in?" - Troy Glaus

Comment

Originally posted by wilkerson_rulz-06
                              That DP was because of Hill's arm, not McDonald's soft toss preced by a bobble.
                              Wrong game Wilk... I'm talking about the game that Lilly started. Macdonald made some very impressive defensive plays in that game.
                              I know the play you are talking about and I'm pretty sure that was last night in AJ's start.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X