Palmeiro and Sosa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Palmeiro and Sosa

Here's my thinking. In terms of marketing the team, gaining some national attention, and risking little, the 2006 Jays should think about making Sammy Sosa and Raphael Palmeiro offers.

Trade Eric Hinske to the Winnipeg Goldeneyes for OF Jorge Moreno, an all expense paid trip to watch the Golden Baseball League Championships, and a Canadian Baseball League ticket stub.

Next, sign Palmeiro to DH/1b for next to nothing. He wants to play, no doubt. No one else will give him an offer. The guys a hall of famer, forget the steroids, everyone else was on them anyway, and a change of scenery might be just what he needs to pull out a medium size season.

Next stop. Not so much Slammin Sammy anymore, but I heard offers will be on par with a minor league deal with invitations to spring training. Bargain. The Jays have no real risk here. It would take the pressure off Rios for a year, allowing him to grow. If Sosa hits 15-20 HR's off a minor league contract, then it's worth it.

Bottom line is that signing Palmeiro and Sosa would help the Jays more than it would hurt them. People might come to see these 2 in action. If they don't, oh well. If they do, and the 2 do well, it's a real deal. Don't make them heroes, make them out to be what they are. A couple of past there prime hall of famers who used to be beloved but turned into the bad guys. The Jays aren't going to win the World Series next year. B.J. Ryan, A.J. Burnett, sure. They got a couple initials. But I think that bringing in P.S. with all their B.S. makes organizational sense. For one year. It would be fun.

Oh, and while we're at it. Bring back Jose Canseco. Do you think MLB would ever let a team sign him to do anything. Make it a freaking circus. Forget wins and losses, lets put on a show. I'm serious. And I think that Frank Catalanatto deserves to play a hell of a lot more. Why isn't he getting the props he deserves. BA, OBA, few K's, all around good stuff.

Bring the Heat.

A team's goal should be to put the best team they can on the field, not to appear on Sportscenter.
    Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
    Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
    Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
    Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
    Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Cold Nose
      A team's goal should be to put the best team they can on the field, not to appear on Sportscenter.

Or in a police line-up.
      Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

Originally posted by hur_ley2003
        Bring the Heat.
        In order to bring the heat, we would have to take what you say seriously and considering I just had to clean up the coffee I spit out on my keyboard, that's not likely to happen anytime soon.
        "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
        Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

There are two ways to get baseball in Canada some national attention:

1) Have the Jays make the playoffs.

2) Have the Jays fold up shop and move across the boarder.

In both case, shortly after each is over the majority of Canada will go back to not caring.

In regards to Palmeiro and Sosa coming to Canada - I can't see it happening. They don't seem to fit the mold of the type of player JP is interested in. But really who knows?

Comment

Ya rite!

No way!

1)Palmeiro will never sign with a canadian team(need I explain?)
            2)Toronto wouldn't go after Sosa, they don't need him, besides he doesnt pose much of a threat anymore.
            Last edited by wilkerson_rulz-06; 12-02-2005, 12:11 PM. Reason: donno...
            Cristobal

Comment

post-roid palmeiro and sosa are pretty much worthless imo and they would never, EVER come here. why should we bring in old, broken-down players when we are trying to build a young-competitive team. if we were to bring in some old run-down vetreans, they would have to bring some leadership for the younger guys and when i mean leadership i mean teaching younger guys some different aspects of the game and when i mean aspects i dont mean how to juice up or cork bats.

i dont ever want to see those two in a jays uniform.

Comment

I echo the sediments of oretty much evrybody who has posted' there is no way I'd want either of these guys to come to Torornto. They are both washed up has-beens and would add nothing to the lineup. The Orioles already tried basically the same route with Sosa it didn't work. A mistake like that should never be made twice.
                Like Maple Syrup, Canada's evil oozes over the United States.

Comment

Take it from a Die-Hard Cubs fan, DONT SIGN SOSA!!!!! He will ruin your atmosphere. He is also on the decline. Hes gonna demand everything and he will try to take charge of the clubhouse. I highly suggest you guys DO NOT sign Sosa. It will be the worst move you ever made.
                  "I don't like to sound egotistical, but every time I stepped up to the plate with a bat in my hands, I couldn't help but feel sorry for the pitcher."
                  -Rogers Hornsby-

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
                  -Rogers Hornsby-

Just a note to all the active members of BBF, I consider all of you the smartest baseball people I have ever communicated with and love everyday I am on here. Thank you all!

Comment

Originally posted by Cubsfan97
                    Take it from a Die-Hard Cubs fan, DONT SIGN SOSA!!!!! He will ruin your atmosphere. He is also on the decline. Hes gonna demand everything and he will try to take charge of the clubhouse. I highly suggest you guys DO NOT sign Sosa. It will be the worst move you ever made.
                    Agreed - Sosa would change the atmosphere in the clubhouse. And good team chemistry is something the Jays are definitely going to need if they want to compete in the AL East. Check your egos at the door....

Comment

I personally hope neither of them ever play the game again. Palmeiro is a disgrace and Sosa is just plain ordinary at best now. I don't want them to join with the Blue Jays, I don't want them to play at all. PERIOD.
                      Back to being underdogs

Comment

wow haters

pretty harsh words for some guys that had big careers. Even when keriby bucket was not that great i dont remember people saying i dont ever want to see him play. Or when tony gwyn was in the end of his career no one said get him out of here he is worthless. You guys are pretty harsh

Comment

If I recall, Tony Gwynn and Kirby Puckett were both upstanding citizens on and off the baseball field, both were class acts.

Comment

Originally posted by 92Jays93
                            If I recall, Tony Gwynn and Kirby Puckett were both upstanding citizens on and off the baseball field, both were class acts.
                            Puckett has had more than his share of off-the-field problems.
                            Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X