What if Ryan became a starter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What if Ryan became a starter?

I've been thinking hard about this, what if, in a few years once his stamina builds up, BJ Ryan becomes a starter, kind of like a Johan Santana move.

Think about it, as a closer, he can pitch 2 innings sometimes more, with the proper learning, Ryan could learn to throw 5 then move up the scale.

He has too good stuff to be a closer.
    Come on, yell at me how this thread is dumb
    Cristobal

Originally posted by wilkerson_rulz-06
    I've been thinking hard about this, what if, in a few years once his stamina builds up, BJ Ryan becomes a starter, kind of like a Johan Santana move.

Think about it, as a closer, he can pitch 2 innings sometimes more, with the proper learning, Ryan could learn to throw 5 then move up the scale.

He has too good stuff to be a closer.
    Come on, yell at me how this thread is dumb
    No offense , but are you crazy ???
    An established Closer (exept Jon Smoltz) has never made that type of move and it will never happen , the Jays pay him that much , even if ridiculous , to be the Closer .
    Last edited by TheKingofKings; 09-18-2006, 06:10 PM.

Comment

No. He's too established as a closer to make the switch now. I also don't feel his stuff would be as dominant if he had to throw it in a greater quantity. Plus, correst me if I'm wrong, but I think he was once a starter somewhere down the line, and was switched to closer.
      Like Maple Syrup, Canada's evil oozes over the United States.

Comment

He would get tired like hell.

Comment

Originally posted by TheKingofKings
          No offense , but are you crazy ???
          An established Closer (exept Jon Smoltz) has never made that type of move and it will never happen , the Jays pay him that much , even if ridiculous , to be the Closer .
          No offense either, but do you ever verify your outlandish claims before your say them?

Oh, and there are certain pitchers such as AJ Burnett and Roy Halladay that are getting paid more than Ryan and if I may say so, Ryan would certainly add a punch to those two.

Hmmm, do you recall a certain Derek Lowe who had 40 saves as a closer and then became a great starter? Yeah I didn't think so, and what about certain others like a certain Curt Schilling, Matt Mantei, Byung-Yung Kim, Danny Graves, Jose Jimenez, oh, and former Jays closer Kelvim Escobar.

That never happens huh?

An established Closer (exept Jon Smoltz) has never made that type of move and it will never happen
          Last edited by wilkerson_rulz-06; 09-19-2006, 06:51 AM.
          Cristobal

Comment

i think the only problem is that ryan has too few pitches. his fastball and his slider are the only pitches he uses often and hitters would eventually key on one pitch. plus, we have seen ryan blow saves when he pitches 1+ innings so stamina might be an issue. sometimes, guys are just meant to be closers and ryan is one.

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Mac
              i think the only problem is that ryan has too few pitches. his fastball and his slider are the only pitches he uses often and hitters would eventually key on one pitch. plus, we have seen ryan blow saves when he pitches 1+ innings so stamina might be an issue. sometimes, guys are just meant to be closers and ryan is one.
              That's kinda the idea I was trying to get at in my post.
              Like Maple Syrup, Canada's evil oozes over the United States.

Comment

Considering how many other problems the Jays have to work on, why fix what certainly is not broken?
                Don't make fun of the Blue Jay's bullpen. They've got Downs.

Comment

Closers are so over-rated. For the money he makes, Ryan should be pitching a LOT more innings. Certainly his ERA is great, but with 75 innings a year, he simply doesn't have that much impact on the game.

Comment

actually that doesnt sound to crazy, hes now proven hes good and he actually could be a starter one day

Comment

Why would you want Ryan to be a starter... You guys have Roy Freaking Halliday! He is fine at closer and that's where he should be. He is a lights-out pitcher, all closers should be lights-out pitchers he is where he belongs.

Leftie pitcher poppin' 97 = Closer.

Edit: Unless you are Santana.

Comment

yes i was saying he "could" be a starter but that is not what i would want.

Comment

Originally posted by Defense Counts!
                          Closers are so over-rated. For the money he makes, Ryan should be pitching a LOT more innings. Certainly his ERA is great, but with 75 innings a year, he simply doesn't have that much impact on the game.

Ryan didnt have that much of an impact on the game???, that is the dumbes thing ive ever heard

Comment

Originally posted by GO-SKYCHIEFS-GO
                            Ryan didnt have that much of an impact on the game???, that is the dumbes thing ive ever heard
                            First off, he pitched 72 innings; that's less than half-an-inning per game. If a starting pitcher or player played that little, no-one would be gushing over him. How much impact can a player have who spends most of his time on the bench?

Also, to have an impact, you have to play when the game is on the line. Ryan usually came in during the ninth inning, with a lead, and nobody on base. Any decent reliever will come out of that situation with a save most of the time. Now, if Ryan was used the way the top reliever should be used, when the bases are loaded in a close game, I might change my view.

Comment

35+ saves for Ryan. He came in every time with the game on the line. He didnt come in with a 6 run lead, he came in with a 3 or 2 maybe even a 1 run lead. about 40 times he came into the game when it was on the line. and 72 innings is about half an inning per game?!?, he was a closer and i dont know if youve notist but the Jays werent all that great last year, they didnt win alot of games but the 37 out of 86 i belive? wins that the Jays had he saved them, he was nothin short of spectacular this season that is foresure and i cant even think of the words Ryan and suck in the same sentence.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X