Lind May Land Big League Gig

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lind May Land Big League Gig

TORONTO -- The more that Adam Lind hit, the more his short stint with the Blue Jays became an audition for next season.
    Toronto called Lind up from Triple-A in September, rewarding the 23-year-old prospect for his impressive offensive production in the Minors. The Jays just wanted to give Lind some big-league experience, but he performed so well and looked so comfortable that he may be in the running for a big-league job.

In 18 September games, Lind hit .367 with two home runs and eight RBIs. One of his homers was a game-deciding blast in the ninth inning of Toronto's final regular-season win -- a victory over the Yankees in New York. Lind hit .330 with 24 homers and 89 RBIs in 129 Minor League games between Double-A and Triple-A before being called up.

Lind's success was an unexpected development in a situation that already needed to be addressed this offseason.

Reed Johnson emerged as Toronto's everyday left fielder, which forced outfielder Frank Catalanotto to serve more as the designated hitter -- a role he'd prefer not to have. Now, Catalanotto is eligible to become a free agent after four seasons in Toronto and Lind, who also is an outfielder, could be his replacement.

"We haven't ruled out bringing back Frank," Toronto general manager J.P. Ricciardi said recently. "But Lind's got a chance to make our club. He may be one guy who can alleviate that problem. We'll see. If he was going to be here, he would play."

Catalanotto, who made $2.7 million last season, hit .300 with seven home runs and 56 RBIs in 128 games. At the beginning of the year, he was in a platoon with Johnson in left. Then Johnson earned the full-time job and Shea Hillenbrand was traded in July, creating a void at DH that Toronto asked Catalanotto to fill.

The 32-year-old outfielder didn't mind splitting time with Johnson, but DHing wasn't something he enjoyed. Catalanotto said in September that playing time in the outfield could play a role in where he signs for 2007.

"I like the way they use me here -- platooning is fine for me," Catalanotto said. "I'm not a big fan of DHing. It's easier to be in the flow of the game and easier with my at-bats when I'm in the field.

"That's going to be a big decision if there's a team that will guarantee me some playing time in the outfield."

If Catalanotto does decide to sign elsewhere, naming Lind Toronto's full-time DH would be a big decision for the Jays, too. It's unusual to have a young player in that role. That's one reason Lind understands it's not a given that he has a job with Toronto in 2007.

"I don't think I'm going to look at it that way," Lind said after the final game of the regular season. "A month and a half up here, then more big-league pitching at Spring Training -- hopefully I work hard, gain some weight because I'm kind of a toothpick -- then you never know what happens."

Jordan Bastian

It would be odd to make Lind the full-time DH when he is still so young. Maybe leave him in Triple-A for the beginning, and try to trade Overbay during this season? One last year in the minors wouldn't hurt, and he could come back in September once again.
    WAMCO!

Comment

Trade Overbay? What would that accomplish? I agree that Lind should not be on the opening day roster for the Jays next season. I see no reason to rush him into the majors. Another season in Triple A will be good for him and I'm sure we'll see him in September.
      Like Maple Syrup, Canada's evil oozes over the United States.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris from NY
        Trade Overbay? What would that accomplish? I agree that Lind should not be on the opening day roster for the Jays next season. I see no reason to rush him into the majors. Another season in Triple A will be good for him and I'm sure we'll see him in September.
        I totally agree with that, why would you trade Overbay?, Lind is an outfielder, and not a very good one to add, being a DH is his thing but playing a full season in the bigs next year is'nt One season or at least until August or September in Syracuse would be good, it would give him a chance to mature a bit more and give me a chance to take a better look at him.

Comment

I totally agree with that, why would you trade Overbay?, Lind is an outfielder, and not a very good one to add, being a DH is his thing but playing a full season in the bigs next year is'nt One season or at least until August or September in Syracuse would be good, it would give him a chance to mature a bit more and give me a chance to take a better look at him. It will be fun to see him in spring training next season, I want to see him play left field, Im going down to Dunedin next spring for a holiday and to watchg the Jays play spring training, Im really looking forward to seeing the team and getting a closer look at Lind and John Ford Griffen I want to see how he does this season because he was injured almost all of last season.

Comment

My bad. I was under the impression that he was a 1B. I guess I need to do my research. But anyways... Just call him up again, like they did this year (maybe a little earlier though?). Let him spend some time at DH, and in the OF. Let him mature slowly. There's no reason to rush him.
            WAMCO!

Comment

Excactly that is what im saying and thats what should be done, I think that he is perfect for this team, its really to bad that Kevin Barker left and is now a free agent because he would be really nice to have. and tell me, what is yourname on pigskin fever, mine is GO-ROUGHRIDERS-GO.

Comment

Argonaut Fan. Looks like we may be headed for a confrontation in Winnipeg!
                WAMCO!

Comment

Oh maybe we shall haha. I watched the Argo game right before the Riders game last sunday and I saw Pinballs nice catch haha, hes stil got it in him eh.

Comment

Originally posted by GO-SKYCHIEFS-GO
                    I watched the Argo game right before the Riders game last sunday
                    That's 2 former Rider QB's who couldn't get it done in the Semi's this year! Go Riders Go! :gt

Comment

That was a good catch . Hopefully we will see a nice game in the finals, whether the Argos play the Riders or the Lions . Maybe a wager will be in order...
                      WAMCO!

Comment

That's 2 former Rider QB's who couldn't get it done in the Semi's this year! Go Riders Go! :gt
                        Buhaka aman to that ma brotha I would love to see the Argos and Roughis in the finals, that would be classic, oh and it has to snow haha.

Comment

Originally posted by GO-SKYCHIEFS-GO
                          Buhaka aman to that ma brotha I would love to see the Argos and Roughis in the finals, that would be classic, oh and it has to snow haha.
                          That's pretty much the only way to go.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X