Vernon Wells Wins GG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vernon Wells Wins GG

There's no thread for this, so in case anyone doesn't know...

Originally posted by BlueJays.com
    The Blue Jays have breathed easy on balls hit in the vicinity of center field since Vernon Wells assumed command of the position in 2002. Whether it be a shoestring catch, a leap at the wall, a diving snag or a routine play, Wells has cut short many opponents' chances of reaching base.
    On Thursday, Wells was lauded by winning the Rawlings Gold Glove Award for a third consecutive season.

"Vernon Wells is the ultimate player," said former Jays outfielder Lloyd Moseby, who visited the team during a July promotion. "I was lucky enough to coach that kid in 1997, and I knew he'd do this. I'm not shocked at all."

Arguably Toronto's best player last season, as well as the team's landslide pick for MVP, Wells led the Jays to a runner-up finish in the American League East, higher than they'd finished in 13 years.

The 27-year-old made four errors in 340 attempts this year (.988 fielding percentage), but has made only 13 total in 797 games in center for Toronto, spanning eight seasons.

"If [Wells] is not the best, he's one of the best defensive outfielders in the league," said teammate Troy Glaus earlier in the season. "There isn't anything in the game that he can't do."

Though Gold Gloves are awarded solely for defensive prowess, Wells is no slouch at the plate either. In 2006, he led the team in hits (185), RBIs (106), total bases (331), stolen bases (17) and at-bats (611).

2006 AL GOLD GLOVE WINNERS
    Name No.
    P Kenny Rogers 5
    C Ivan Rodriguez 12
    1B Mark Teixeira 2
    2B Mark Grudzielanek 1
    SS Derek Jeter 3
    3B Eric Chavez 6
    OF Torii Hunter 6
    OF Ichiro Suzuki 6
    OF Vernon Wells 3

He was second in runs scored (91), doubles (40), triples (5), homers (32) and slugging percentage (.542), showing exactly why Moseby, who patrolled the Toronto outfield from 1980-89, calls Wells "the [complete] package".

"Playing center field, hitting is almost a plus," Moseby said. "It's like catching. If you can get a good catcher who can call a good ballgame and throw guys out, you've got a diamond."

Wells, a resident of Arlington, Texas, joins three other outfielders who've won Gold Gloves for Toronto: Jesse Barfield (1986-87), Devon White (1991-95) and Shawn Green (1999). Just five Jays have received the award multiple times: Wells, Barfield, White, Roberto Alomar (1991-95) and Tony Fernandez (1986-89).

Presented since 1957, the Rawlings Gold Glove Awards recognize the best defensive players at each position in both the American and National Leagues. The winners are selected in voting by managers and coaches, who are instructed to vote only for players from other clubs within their league.

Dawn Klemish is an associate reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
    Last edited by Richmond Hill Phoenix; 11-07-2006, 11:25 AM.
    WAMCO!

I think he had an error on opeing day, and I thought to myself "Oh no, there goes his gold glove." I guess not though. We really have something special in Vernon Wells. If this is the last time we see him in a Jays uniform (unlikely), then we need to look back at good of a player he has been in a Jays uniform. Here's hoping the Jays can re-sign him.
    Like Maple Syrup, Canada's evil oozes over the United States.

Comment

My question is: does he win his next one in a Jays uniform?
      "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
      Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Hopefully. If the Jays are to move him, It doesn't look like it will be until the trade deadline. A move this off-season seems unlikely. I'm still hoping that his next 5-10 gold gloves are in a Jays uniform.
        Like Maple Syrup, Canada's evil oozes over the United States.

Comment

Well this really makes Wells alot more valuable to the Jays to keep or trade away, I think Wells is the captain on this team and it would be nice to see him play his last game of his career in a Jays uni.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris from NY
            I think he had an error on opeing day, and I thought to myself "Oh no, there goes his gold glove." I guess not though. We really have something special in Vernon Wells. If this is the last time we see him in a Jays uniform (unlikely), then we need to look back at good of a player he has been in a Jays uniform. Here's hoping the Jays can re-sign him.
            Congratulations to Wells. Even though I'm a Red Sox fan and Wells just kills the Sox, I love to watch him play.
            The ball once struck off,
            Away flies the boy
            To the next destin'd post,
            And then home with joy.
            --Anonymous, 1744

Comment

Oh yes I remember a long time ago in the season where Wells hit that grand slam into the green monster haha.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X