Angels sign Speier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Angels sign Speier

It's a four year deal and the money hasn't been released yet. I had spectulated 4 for $20 a couple weeks ago so I'm only surprised he ended up with the Angels who you wouldn't think would need him. I'm also a little surprised Speier didn't head somewhere where he'd have a chance to close.

Speier is an 'A' player so the Jays will pick up a sandwich pick. They'll also receive a pick from the Angels. The Angels pick 24th which is what the Jays would get today, but it's very possible they'll sign another free agent ranked higher than Speier so that could drop.

It was pretty unlikely that the Jays were going to re-sign Speier so picking up a couple draft picks is a nice bonus regardless of where the picks end up being.

Heres the story from Toronto;

The Angels appear to be close to adding free-agent right-hander Justin Speier to their bullpen. According to ESPN.com, Los Angeles agreed to a four-year contract with the 33-year-old reliever on Sunday.
    Speier spent the last three seasons with the Blue Jays, posting a 3.18 ERA with 163 strikeouts over that span. Last year, he went 2-0 with a 2.98 ERA in 58 appearances -- mainly serving as Toronto's setup man. Speier also struck out 55 batters over 51 1/3 innings in 2006.

In 2005, Speier posted a 2.57 ERA in 65 outings for the Jays. Twice over the last three seasons -- in 2004 and again last year -- Speier had stints on the disabled list due to a right forearm strain. He missed about a month both times. Over nine seasons, Speier has gone 27-20 with a 4.02 ERA and 17 saves with the Jays, Rockies, Indians, Braves, Marlins and Cubs.
    Last edited by PJ-34; 11-19-2006, 11:17 AM.

good pitcher, sad to see him go but saw it coming since last season. best reliever other then ryan last year. he was way more consistent this year then any previous year and that splitter is a helluva pitch.

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Mac
      good pitcher, sad to see him go but saw it coming since last season. best reliever other then ryan last year. he was way more consistent this year then any previous year and that splitter is a helluva pitch.
      I totally agree with you but unfortunately, now we need a new Set Up Man.

Comment

I like him.

So you have nobody at the moment who can be a solid set up man eh?
        Place your quote here for just $5.00

I hate pink bats...Tigers losses...White Sox...Yanks...and Chevrolet!

Comment

I think they could start Brandon League out in the set-up role and see how he does with it. Of course thet'd need a back-up plan if League doesn't work out.
          Like Maple Syrup, Canada's evil oozes over the United States.

Comment

Originally posted by TheKingofKings
            I totally agree with you but unfortunately, now we need a new Set Up Man.
            Right, we already have a set-up guy and a good one at that in Brandon League, and maybe Jeremy Accardo.

Comment

Originally posted by GO-SKYCHIEFS-GO
              Right, we already have a set-up guy and a good one at that in Brandon League, and maybe Jeremy Accardo.
              League is good but he is still unprooven SU ...

Comment

You don't think he's proven himself to be a model set up guy??? does anybody else agree with that?

Comment

Originally posted by GO-SKYCHIEFS-GO
                  You don't think he's proven himself to be a model set up guy??? does anybody else agree with that?
                  He wasn't "clearly" in that role last year so we do not know how he will handle the role and he might not be able to handle the pressure, who knows ???

Comment

I guess I agree with that, if he can do the full time thing because Speier is gone he could most likely be more succesful.

Comment

I like Accardo and League leading to BJ. One of them will get the job done.
                      WAMCO!

Comment

Originally posted by RichmondHillPhoenix
                        I like Accardo and League leading to BJ. One of them will get the job done.
                        i really dont like that idea with the way they pitched last year but hopefully one of them can improve there consistentcy much like speier did for us last year. both of those guys have good potenial though i have yet to see it on a consistent night-to-night basis.

Comment

I think (hope?) that one of them will mature into this role this season.
                          WAMCO!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X