2007 Prediction.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2007 Prediction.

With the offseason in full swing, it's time for some speculation.

How do you think our beloved Blue Jays will fare next season? They went 87-75 this season, and finished second in the AL East. Do you think they'll do better this year? Worse? Let us know.
    Worse than last year.
    10.00%
    About the same (around 87 wins).
    10.00%
    Better, but still won't make the playoffs.
    40.00%
    Great! They'll make the playoffs.
    40.00%
    WAMCO!

With what's going on in the AL East, I think this is the Jays year. They have Vernon for one more year, have an even more potent attack with the addition of Big Frank, and hopefully will sign another SP.

The Bo-Sox are even weaker than last year, with pretty much no starting pitching (Matsuzaka excluded). Wakefield and Schilling both turn 40 this year. Beckett had a below-average year, and Papelbon is unproven as a SP. They aren't much of an offensive threat either.

The Yankees, while still a big offensive threat, have no SP either. They have Wang and Mussina (who turns 38 this year), Randy Johnson and Carl Pavano. Although they might sign a big name FA SP, as of right now, they are lacking in that department.

If the Jays can add a mid-level SP (which I think they will), they will certainly contend for a playoff spot in the 2007 season.
    WAMCO!

Comment

I think the Jays will be the same and if lucky a couple wins more but without guys like Speier, Lilly, and Catalanotto Thomas needs to step up huge and he needs to have at least a 20 homer, 80 RBI season. This move is terrible for the Jays and they better hope to God that Thomas does just that because he cost us 3 very good players to have a God damn 38 year old this move still steams me!!!

Comment

The Bo-Sox are even weaker than last year, with pretty much no starting pitching (Matsuzaka excluded). Wakefield and Schilling both turn 40 this year. Beckett had a below-average year, and Papelbon is unproven as a SP. They aren't much of an offensive threat either.
        Curt Schilling
        Josh Beckett
        Daisuke Matsuzaka
        Jonathon Papelbon
        Tim Wakefield/Jon Lester

Doesn't look very weak to me. Looks like the best rotation short of Anaheim in the AL.

Aren't much of an offensive threat? If they do ended up landing J.D. Drew as expected they will have David Ortiz, Manny Ramirez, and J.D. Drew in the middle of the lineup, looks pretty good to me.

The Yankees, while still a big offensive threat, have no SP either. They have Wang and Mussina (who turns 38 this year), Randy Johnson and Carl Pavano. Although they might sign a big name FA SP, as of right now, they are lacking in that department.
        This is true, but what about the Jays? Halladay is their one and only dependable SP. How can you knock on these teams SP while having a pretty mediocre rotation as well?

If the Jays can add a mid-level SP (which I think they will), they will certainly contend for a playoff spot in the 2007 season.
        This we agree on. Good team, could be in contention... If people like Burnett and Thomas have all-star seasons.

Comment

So far with moves that the jays have made I would consider them strong contenders in the Al East. This May be the year they finally make the play-offs.
          Here's to baseball... The best sport made.

"There are two theories on hitting a knuckleball. Unfortunately, neither of them works." ― Charlie Lau

Comment

Those are my ideas too. If they continue to acquire key pieces (which they have proven that they are willing to do), I see them in contention.
            WAMCO!

Comment

I think the jays pitching matches up with the sox pretty well. I would put burnett and halladay up against beckett and schilling any day of the week. Lets not forget matusaka got 6 days of rest between starts in japan, theres no telling how he will pitch in the MLB. If paplebon goes to SP, Boston has no solid closer. The jays do need another SP, but I would say there looking pretty good right now.
              If a women had 2 choose between saving a baby and catching a fly ball, she would choose the baby without even considering if there are men on base.
              Some people think baseball is a matter of life and death, but i can assure you, its much more important than that.

Comment

Originally posted by mikethegreat8899
                I think the jays pitching matches up with the sox pretty well. I would put burnett and halladay up against beckett and schilling any day of the week. Lets not forget matusaka got 6 days of rest between starts in japan, theres no telling how he will pitch in the MLB. If paplebon goes to SP, Boston has no solid closer. The jays do need another SP, but I would say there looking pretty good right now.
                So you can actually say you would want a Halladay-Burnett-Chacin-Marcum rotation rather than Schilling-Matsuzaka-Beckett-Papelbon one?

Comment

I would take a Halladay-Burnett-Lilly/Meche/Wolf-Chacin/Marcum rotation over that of the Red Sox.
                  WAMCO!

Comment

Wow, ok...

Btw, Wolf signed with LA.

Comment

Ya. I just saw that... Hopefully there's someone out there for the BJ's 3-spot.
                      WAMCO!

Comment

On paper, the Sox rotation looks better than the Jays, however, looking at them head-to-head I think the Jays might habe a slight edge.

1. Roy Halladay is easily one of the top 5 pitchers in baseball. Curt Schilling is still a very good pitcher, but is nearing the end of his career and is declining. The Jays have the clear advantage here.

2. A.J. Burnett was a risky free-agent signing who spent a significant portion of the season injured. When he was healthy, he was nearly unhittable at times, and finished the season with decent numbers and the question: what if he had been healthy? Josh Beckett played alot more than Burnett last season, so that could give him the edge right there. However, he wasn't as dominating as A.J. and wasn't as good as he was in '05 when he played on a worse team. This one is close, I'd say it's a toss-up

3. Gustavo Chacin was, unfortunatley injured for a good portion of last season. In his rookie year, he pitched well in an inconsistent rotation. When he was healthy in '06, he looked like he was right where he left off. Daisuke Matsuzaka looks like a fantastic pitcher and a great pick-up by the Sox. Having said that, he has no experience at the major league level, and might need a period of transition before he is comfortable in the majors. I'll give the slight edge to the Jays

4. Since the Jays rotation is still hazy at this point, this is a tough one to do. By the looks of things, the Sox number four is Jonathon Papelbon. Papelbon is unproven as a starter, and injured his shoulder as a closer. Good luck keeping your arm healthy while your starting instead of sitting in the bullpen for most of the game, every game. The Jays will either sign a proven starting picher or have Shaun Marcum pitch in the 4 spot. This one goes easily to the Jays.

5. This is another hard one to judge, as it just isn't clear who will hold these positions for either team. We'll call it a toss-up for now.

Looking at that, I'd say the Jays have a definite advantage over the Red Sox. And because I laid out my entire method of coming up with this, I cannot be accused of having a skewed opinion, or wearing blue sunglasses. Anyone can feel free to challenge my opinions, but please do me the courtesy of trying to prove your opinion, like I did.
                        Like Maple Syrup, Canada's evil oozes over the United States.

Comment

I think that Matsuzaka gets the edge for me, over Chacin. But maybe Chacin will have a year like he did when he was a rookie. Then, it might be close.
                          WAMCO!

Comment

Ok, here we go...

1. Roy Halladay is easily one of the top 5 pitchers in baseball. Curt Schilling is still a very good pitcher, but is nearing the end of his career and is declining. The Jays have the clear advantage here.
                            Agreed. I think he's second only to Santana.

2. A.J. Burnett was a risky free-agent signing who spent a significant portion of the season injured. When he was healthy, he was nearly unhittable at times, and finished the season with decent numbers and the question: what if he had been healthy? Josh Beckett played alot more than Burnett last season, so that could give him the edge right there. However, he wasn't as dominating as A.J. and wasn't as good as he was in '05 when he played on a worse team. This one is close, I'd say it's a toss-up
                            You're right on with the amount they played. Beckett pitched about 70 innings more than Burnett, but his ERA was a run higher. However, this was inflated due to a couple starts where Francona left him in too long and he got racked much more than he should have. In the end, Beckett had an equal amount of quality starts as Chien-Ming Wang and at time (like Burnett) was unhittable. Career wise, I'd take Beckett -- 3-4 years younger than Burnett. Next year, its a toss up.

3. Gustavo Chacin was, unfortunatley injured for a good portion of last season. In his rookie year, he pitched well in an inconsistent rotation. When he was healthy in '06, he looked like he was right where he left off. Daisuke Matsuzaka looks like a fantastic pitcher and a great pick-up by the Sox. Having said that, he has no experience at the major league level, and might need a period of transition before he is comfortable in the majors. I'll give the slight edge to the Jays
                            Here is where I completely disagree with you. Matsuzaka completely dominated Major League hitters in the WBC, and was the most coveted FA pitcher on the market this year. When you think he might need a period of transition, I HIGHLY doubt this is the case. Hideo Nomo came to the US and abosulutely dominated his rookie year because no one had seen him before, why wouldn't it be the same with Matsuzaka, who is projected to be even better than Nomo?

Chacin was below average this past year and had injury problems, I see no reason why this could give the Jays an edge.

4. Since the Jays rotation is still hazy at this point, this is a tough one to do. By the looks of things, the Sox number four is Jonathon Papelbon. Papelbon is unproven as a starter, and injured his shoulder as a closer. Good luck keeping your arm healthy while your starting instead of sitting in the bullpen for most of the game, every game. The Jays will either sign a proven starting picher or have Shaun Marcum pitch in the 4 spot. This one goes easily to the Jays.
                            Marcum vs. Papelbon

Marcum had an ERA over 5 this past year. Papelbon under 1. He was hurt, but he could have returned after only 2 weeks, but since the Sox were out of it, they let him rest. He was a starting pitcher his whole career in the minors until this past year, where he was an all-star closer. He can handle the workload, he's done it before. His injury was a small one.

5. This is another hard one to judge, as it just isn't clear who will hold these positions for either team. We'll call it a toss-up for now.
                            Wakefield for the Sox, unknown for the Jays. Until you sign a solid SP, this goes to the Sox. Wakefield will post the same 4.4 ERA here next year, as he has for the last 4 years. 4.4 ERA is great from the 5 spot, and he is very reliable. Even if a better pitcher is signed and Marcum is moved to the 5 spot, I'd still take Wakefield.

Comment

Papelbon certainly won't maintain that ERA as a starter. I have a feeling that he will suffer from the Sophmore Slump, and not be very effective this season. I am ready to be proven wrong though.
                              WAMCO!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X