Jays sign Zaun. Not Barajas...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jays sign Zaun. Not Barajas...

This one is for real. After a deal with Barajas fell through (supposedly because Barajas fired his agent after he accepted a deal that was $600,000 less than what he was paid in '06, and then nulled the deal by not attending the physical), Zaun is back in.

Jays re-sign Zaun to two-year deal
    WAMCO!

I'm assuming the last minute snag that stopped the deal didn't actually have anything to do with an agent. The real story is that J.P. visited BBF and saw the outcry about him signing Barajas and not Zaun.
    Like Maple Syrup, Canada's evil oozes over the United States.

Comment

That has to be it!
      WAMCO!

Comment

good pickup guys, zaun is a good reliable catcher and u actually didnt overspend an outragoes amount
        Hitting is timing, pitching is upsetting timing.
        -Warren Spahn

It's a round ball and a round bat and you gotta hit it square.
        -Pete Rose

Good pitching always beats good hitting...and vice versa.
        -Yogi Berra

Comment

From what I heard, the players union nixed the deal after barahas had agreed to it. Apparently he was told he could not sign for less that market value. The same thing happened to Darrien Fletcher in 1197 when he tried to resign for the expos for less than what he would have been offered by other clubs. I'm not 100% sure if Barahas would have come if the players union allowed it, but if so, I think its absolutely terrible that they would put money in front of a player wanting to have fun, play, and win. Just another example of money bieng more important than the game itself.
          If a women had 2 choose between saving a baby and catching a fly ball, she would choose the baby without even considering if there are men on base.
          Some people think baseball is a matter of life and death, but i can assure you, its much more important than that.

Comment

Now you have a pretty solid C core, Bengie Molina and Greg Zaun I can't think of five more teams who are more set at catcher than the Jays. Now if AJ can just stay healthy you may beable to compete in the division.
            "he probably used some performance enhancing drugs so he could do a better job on his report...i hear they make you gain weight" - Dr. Zizmor

"I thought it was interesting and yes a conversation piece. Next time I post a similar story I will close with the question "So, do you think either of them have used steroids?" so that I can make the topic truly relevant to discussions about today's game." - Eric Davis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqul1GyK7-g

Comment

We don't have Bengie anymore (thank God!!). We declined his $7.5 million dollar option. Good riddance to the man who couldn't leg out a double on a ball hit to the gap.

Jason Phillips will (in all likelyhood) be the backup.
              WAMCO!

Comment

Originally posted by RichmondHillPhoenix
                We don't have Bengie anymore (thank God!!). We declined his $7.5 million dollar option. Good riddance to the man who couldn't leg out a double on a ball hit to the gap.

Jason Phillips will (in all likelyhood) be the backup.
                oh cmon, i loved bengie. however, i would much rather have zauny.

you all know what i think on this. A++++ move by toronto. zaun and phillips will be great, good luck boys!

Comment

so everyone thought zaun wasnt signed too overprised??
                  i still kinda feel like its still a bit too pricy but im still happy that the jays re signed gregg zaun.
                  good solid catcher but who will back up??

Comment

Jason Phillips will be Zaun's back-up. I don't think Zaun was overpaid. This whole offseason has been one where palyers are getting overpaid for one reason or another. But Zaun is a very underrated catcher, especially when looking at how much Molina made playing here last year. I think it was like 6.5 mil or something.
                    Like Maple Syrup, Canada's evil oozes over the United States.

Comment

So let me get this straight. A player can't decide to stick with his team for less money than he is offered elsewhere? What the heck is that? That makes him NOT a free agent.

And Zaun must feel real appreciated. They only wanted him back because they didn't get the other guy.
                      Place your quote here for just $5.00

I hate pink bats...Tigers losses...White Sox...Yanks...and Chevrolet!

Comment

Bengie made $5 million last season, and was scheduled to make $7.5 million this season. They bought him out for $500,000 instead. Thank god.

Zaun is a guy that I don't mind spending a little more money for (what's another million anyways?). He brings so much to the team that you don't see on a scoresheet.
                        WAMCO!

Comment

Yeah I like Zaun with the Blue Jays too. My team is the Tigers though. There was talk he might go to Detroit but it obviously didn't happen.
                          Place your quote here for just $5.00

I hate pink bats...Tigers losses...White Sox...Yanks...and Chevrolet!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X