No announcement yet.

Jays new logo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I read an interesting little bit on the always awesome uniwatchblog.com the other day about the lack of Blue in the Jays colour scheme and it really makes sense now that I think about it.

Ever since Rogers bought the team they've taken blue out of the uniform as much as is possible and not even mentioning the word blue if they can help it ("Rogers Jays Baseball on Sportsnet") and there finally became a logical reason; Rogers vs. Bell. Rogers is red, Bell is blue, Rogers hates Bell and as a result they want nothing to do with the colour blue. One of the dumbest things I've ever heard but at the same time it makes perfect sense.
    B.J. Birdie: 1979 - 1999. You will never be forgotten, death to Ace.

Comment

No that's the stupidest things I've ever hears. Ted Rogers doesn't hate the colour blue, he just thought it was time for a uniform change and I salute him on that one. I'm not a fan of the blue on the uniforms either. Way to tacky.

Comment

Here's what the guy wrote:
        In Canada there are two major telecommunications companies, Bell Canada and Rogers Communications, who fiercely compete with one another. Bell uses blue as the predominant colour in its marketing; Rogers, which owns the Blue Jays, uses red.

Ever since Rogers bought the team, they have very noticeably moved away from using their Bell’s colour, and even from using the word “blue” in Blue Jays (the Rogers-owned network that broadcasts the vast majority of games calls its telecast “Rogers Jays Baseball”).

To their credit, Rogers is putting blue rings around the facade of the “Rogers Centre” (er… SkyDome) to help remove some of the cement look in the stadium for the upcoming season. But as for the hope that blue may return as a predominant colour on the uniform, or the full name “Blue Jays” appearing on the jerseys, I wouldn’t hold my breath.

Of course, this sort of influence from the marketing department is nothing new for the franchise. It’s no coincidence that the name Blue Jays was decided upon at the outset, considering that the majority owner at the time was the Labatt Brewing Company, whose flagship lager is, of course, Blue.
        Who knows... Might be true, but I doubt it.
        WAMCO!

Comment

R.I.P Bue Jays
          With every death there be a new life....Hello Jays

Comment

Slow day for uniwatchblog.com I assume.
            Like Maple Syrup, Canada's evil oozes over the United States.

Comment

Wow. Does this site have any credibility? The quote above came from: "Toronto reader Andrew Stoeten". And he is..?
              WAMCO!

Comment

Originally posted by CanadianKid
                I disagree. The best they ever had were these:

http://www.sportslogos.net/logo.php?lo=4589
                I totally agree with you on this one.They should have never changed those to begin with.

Comment

Originally posted by RichmondHillPhoenix
                  Wow. Does this site have any credibility? The quote above came from: "Toronto reader Andrew Stoeten". And he is..?
                  I spoke nothing of credibility. Dude has a point though.
                  B.J. Birdie: 1979 - 1999. You will never be forgotten, death to Ace.

Comment

Originally posted by jays632
                    I spoke nothing of credibility. Dude has a point though.
                    I know you didn't. I was just speaking to the credibility of the site in general. And while he may have a point, it's a long shot. A very long shot.
                    WAMCO!

Comment

Of course, this sort of influence from the marketing department is nothing new for the franchise. It’s no coincidence that the name Blue Jays was decided upon at the outset, considering that the majority owner at the time was the Labatt Brewing Company, whose flagship lager is, of course, Blue.
                      I wanted to flame this so much... I can't really believe that Ted Rogers is so paranoid about Bell that he'd try to exorcise the color blue from a team named the Blue Jays. BUT... the retarded thing is that Labatt Blue did get named after the Winnipeg Blue Bombers (CFL) in 1951, so stranger things have happened.

That all being said. The color red on the Jays uniforms has almost exclusively had to do with their Canadian heritage. The red stripe on their logo along with their red shirts were used on Canada day celebrations, back when we would play the Expos each July.

If you really want some red, get yourself a nice Cardinals hat like I did. You could consider a Red Sox hat, but you'd have to be kick-banned from this forum, then taken out back and beaten viciously by Pat Hentgen until you cried.
                      Last edited by ssmaill; 01-24-2007, 02:29 PM.
                      Don't make fun of the Blue Jay's bullpen. They've got Downs.

Comment

It's safe to say that you don't moonlight as a Red Sox fan then.
                        Like Maple Syrup, Canada's evil oozes over the United States.

Comment

Originally posted by Richmond Hill Phoenix
                          I never really liked the new logo anyways... The J looked kind of stupid. Maybe this will improve the bad colour-scheme somewhat...

Bring back something with Red in it!!!
                          And stick a Maple Leaf on it somewhere ! I always liked the early 90's logo - for obvious reasons

Comment

I like the original unis, too. And I HATE grey. Blue with a touch of red is great.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X