Four Man Rotation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Four Man Rotation

I realize it's not popular anymore, but with the Jays problems at 4th and 5th starter, why not consider a 4 man rotation instead of 5. Years ago it was normal. Is it not reasonable to think that if Halladay pitches on a Sunday that he can't be ready to go again on Thursday? You may not try it with a young pitcher, but the Jays don't have any good young pitching. I have also heard that the extra work can actually make a pitcher stronger as the year goes on! Any thoughts on this?
    Hack Wilson - He was built like a beer keg and was not unfamiliar with its contents.

I believe we had this discussion once before. I like the four man rotation a little better than the 5 man rotation, but it would not be in the best interest of the Blue Jays. The Top three starters on the roster right now are Halladay, Burnett, and Chacin. All three of these guys missed time last year with injuries. They simply would not be able to keep up a four man rotation all season without having one of those guys succumb to injury at some point.
    Like Maple Syrup, Canada's evil oozes over the United States.

Comment

Nice thoughts, I liek the idea of a four man rotation. Roy Halladay and A.J. Burnett have very high stanima and can definently take it. But it's Chacin or Towers, Janssen ext ext I don't know if they can take it.

Comment

AJ Burnett and very high stamina? I don't think so...

I don't think that a four-man rotation is possible anymore, with all these guys so accustommed to their rest periods. They all have a routine that they go through, and I don't think that they could change it and still maintain the level of pitching they have put up in the past.

I think that the Jays have to go with Halladay-Burnett-Chacin 1-2-3, and try to fill the 4-5 spots with a combination of Towers-Marcum-Janssen-Taubenheim-Rosario-McGowan. At least one of those guys (probably Marcum, IMO) should be able to step up. And then just pray for someone to pitch decently enough for the 5 spot.
        WAMCO!

Comment

I see them letting those guys battle in Spring Training for the 4/5 spots. Whoever steps up gets the starts. Then put two more of them in the bullpen to start, and the rest ready in AAA. Whoever pitches the best, gets the starts, imo.

Comment

That seems to be the only way to do it.
            WAMCO!

Comment

Yes, and it kills me to admit that the only way we can get a 4/5 starting pitcher is for prospects to battle it out in Spring Training.

Comment

Originally posted by Chiefs 4 Life
                Yes, and it kills me to admit that the only way we can get a 4/5 starting pitcher is for prospects to battle it out in Spring Training.
                I see nothing wrong with that. To me it means that the train of young arms coming to the Jays via their minor league system is working quite nicely. I prefer it that the Jays build from within and have pitchers they've groomed in their minor league system.

Comment

Yes but having prospects that can win games is good to. McGowen, Marcum, Rosario, all rookie pitchers sucked this year and really the only one we can depend on is Marcum who is what? 0-52637 career, McGowans only 0-52636!!

Comment

Marcum looks like a pretty good option. He did poorly in the beginning of the season, when he was pitching from the bullpen. But as a starter (from July 18th onward), he was pretty good. He had some bad outings, but that is to be expected from a rookie.

His record was 3-4, and during his stretch as a starter, he had a few stellar starts including: 5 shutout innings against Texas, two 6 inning performances of one earned run each, and an 8 inning shutout performance against Boston.

He looks like he could break out this season. He has experience now, and might not have some of the bad outings that can be attributed to rookie inexperience. Maybe he can be the next Gustavo Chacin.
                    WAMCO!

Comment

Well then that solves one starter now we have 1.Halladay
                      2.Burnett
                      3.Chacin
                      4.Marcum
                      5.FUUUUUUUU###$$$$

Comment

Can anyone direct me to a professional in the baseball world who can give an adaquate explanation for five man rotations, when most teams have trouble coming up with even four decent starters? I'm not buying the 'overwork' theory. Hell, once upon a time teams used 3 man rotations!

Comment

Originally posted by Defense Counts!
                          Can anyone direct me to a professional in the baseball world who can give an adaquate explanation for five man rotations, when most teams have trouble coming up with even four decent starters? I'm not buying the 'overwork' theory. Hell, once upon a time teams used 3 man rotations!
                          I wish I could. I am in favour of 4 man rotations, however, I think a 5 man rotation is in the best interest of the Jays right now. I think part of the reason for 5 man rotations though, is that pitchers throw much harder and faster today. It is much easier for a pitcher to hurt his elbow or shoulder nowadays, and teams want to prevent expensive pitchers wrecking their arms.

Comment

Well, we can scratch that idea now:

1. Roy Halladay
                            2. AJ Burnett
                            3. Gustavo Chacin
                            4. Shawn Marcum
                            5. John Thomson

Thomson has experience and used to be a very reliable starter.
                            Cristobal

Comment

Well now we have these options

1.Halladay
                              2.Burnett
                              3.Ohka, Chacin
                              4.Chacin, Ohka
                              5.Thomson, Towers, Marcum

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...