No announcement yet.

Four Man Rotation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=Thomson has experience and used to be a very reliable starter.[/QUOTE]

And as for that....huh?? he sure doesx have alot of experience..at losing every game!! 60 some and 90 some career??? career ERA just under 5!!! what is that? not being sarcastic but Marcum realy does look like he can be more reliable than him.

Comment

right now i'd go with this:

1. halladay
      2. burnett
      3. chacin
      4. okha
      5. --OPEN-- (marcum, jansenn, thomson, zambrano)

Comment

To throw my 2 cents in, I'll give you my depth chart:
        1. Halladay
        2. Burnett
        3. Chacin
        4. Ohka
        5. Thomson
        6. Marcum
        7. Zambrano (depends completley on how he recovers)
        8. ...
        9. ...
        10. ...
        11. ...
        12. ...
        13. ...
        14. ...
        15. Towers

Seriously though, I think that Marcum could make the starting rotation if he performs well in ST. But maybe he won't, and that's why I have Thomson at #5. Marcum is liable to go through a slump, as last season's success could be chalked up to the fact that no one had seen him before.

I am confident that Ohka can perform pretty much how Ted Lilly did last season. Lilly was either on or off, depending on the day. I think that Ohka will be more consistent. I don't think he'll have as many great outings, but I don't think he'll have as many horrible outings either.

As for Josh Towers, I really hope he can pull it together. But if not, I don't want to see him in the majors. No more chances for this guy after ST ends.

Originally posted by Defense Counts!
        Can anyone direct me to a professional in the baseball world who can give an adaquate explanation for five man rotations, when most teams have trouble coming up with even four decent starters? I'm not buying the 'overwork' theory. Hell, once upon a time teams used 3 man rotations!
        I've had the same question for a while now. I've gotten a few good answers. I'll try to find the thread and post it for you.

Found it. Here is the link.

Another answer I've received is this. Back when there were 4-man rotations, kids had many fewer activities to do. Nowadays kids play soccer, go to music lessons, play computer, watch TV, and also happen to play baseball. However, before the advent of TV and the internet, baseball was one of the only activities kids had. They would play every day in the summer, and would always be throwing a ball around. Guys like Babe Ruth grew up always throwing a baseball. Throwing with friends, throwing at school, or throwing at the side of a barn. And they wouldn't throw sliders, or curveballs. Just straight fastballs.

Nowadays kids rarely have time to play the games, let alone play a pick-up a ball and throw in the back yard. They are carted around to their various activities, and don't develop the same pure arm strength. Add to that the emphasis placed on breaking balls at a young age, and the other stuff discussed in the thread above, and I'm pretty sure that that is the reason that there are no more 4-man rotations.
        Last edited by Richmond Hill Phoenix; 02-03-2007, 11:23 AM.
        WAMCO!

Comment

Thanks, Phoenix.

The explanations given sorta kinda maybe make sense, but I'm still not convinced.

Comment

lol richmond. no more chances for towers imo, i dont want a repeat of a 0-23 start.

Comment

That was actually hilarious what he did haha.

Comment

i can never remember a time since i've been watching baseball that you honestly knew your team would lose when a certian guy was pitching. i mean there are guys that are 'well, we'll probably lose but maybe he'll pull a rabbit out of the hat'. but towers was 'crap, we'll lose, no questions asked'

Comment

Pat Hentgen, in his '04 return? That was worse, but management didn't give him as long a leash.
                  WAMCO!

Comment

I was glad when Hentgen decided to shut it down when he did instead of playing out the season. Could you imagine him trying to finish out a season like that?
                    Like Maple Syrup, Canada's evil oozes over the United States.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X