How do you rate JP so far?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chris from NY
    Thgey're definately not a whole lot better, but I wouldn't go as far to say that they're significantly worse. This season is where some of the young guys have to prove their worth. I expect Aaron Hill, shaun Marcum, Ty Tabenheim, and Brandon League all to step up this year and prove themselves to be dependable everyday major leaguers. As for a number 3 pitcher, Gustavo Chacin was working smoothly in that role before he was injured. I expect him to be a solid pitcher in that spot. I expect him to be as good as Ted Lilly was, only with more consistency.
    Seriously??? he's not ready for the big league gag.

Comment

It's not like he had to find diamonds in the rough to build a quality team. He spent big money on good players...hell, the Yankees, Red Sox and Dodgers do that every year. I'll give him a 6 for now, but until he wins and makes some "real" decisions, that's as high as I can rate him.

Comment

The only people the Jays lost were Catalonotto, Lilly, Molina and Speier. Molina isn't a loss, IMO. Didn't need him. Catalonotto is the same. He was good, but Reed Johnson is just as good. Speier might be missed, but I think that League and Accardo can step into the space left by Speier.

When it comes to Lilly, it is yet to be seen who will step up. Chacin will be #3, and I think that Marcum will do well as a #4. #5 is anyone's guess.

When it comes to Frank Thomas, I feel the same as you, Rudy. I don't think that he'll be worth the money at all, but I hope he proves me wrong. If so, the offense will be even more potent than last year. Add into the equation Royce Clayton, who is a defensive upgrade over Johnny Mac, and I think that we may have even gotten better, if the young guys can continut the upward trend.

We will wait and see about pitching, as that is the pressing issue this offseason. I hope that JP's restraint will be a good thing, and that he won't be kicking himself for not signing Lilly.
        WAMCO!

Comment

i think 6 is a tad harsh. he's assembled a team that is competitive and gives us hope that we havent had for a while. we used to dream of 80 win seasons, now we can finally say we're a realistic shot for the postseason. yes, hes had money ash never had but you can give any idiot money, you have to know how to spend it. some people say the thomas deal is bad but it is better use of money then signing drew, pierre or matthews.

i agree with you too richmondhill except i think spirer will be missed more then people think. hope your right and accardo and/or league will step up but im not very confident in those guys. but signing spirer for what anahiem did was a waste of cash if we did that so i dont disagree with letting him go.

Comment

Exactly. Speier will obviously be missed. But I wouldn't even consider signing him for what the Angels gave him. Same with all the other guys. It would have been nice to have them back, but it wasn't worth it for any of them. If it was, we would have them.

Hopefully Johnson can continue to cover LF adaquately, and the bullpen can absorb the loss of Walker and Speier.

-Geoff
            WAMCO!

Comment

Originally posted by Chiefs 4 Life
              Seriously??? he's not ready for the big league gag.
              I think with a little added confidence, he could be a valuable guy in the bullpen. I'm not saying he's going to set the world on fire, but he can be a guy who comes out of bullpen when need be in the mid innings.
              Like Maple Syrup, Canada's evil oozes over the United States.

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Mac
                i think 6 is a tad harsh. he's assembled a team that is competitive and gives us hope that we havent had for a while. we used to dream of 80 win seasons, now we can finally say we're a realistic shot for the postseason. yes, hes had money ash never had but you can give any idiot money, you have to know how to spend it. some people say the thomas deal is bad but it is better use of money then signing drew, pierre or matthews.

i agree with you too richmondhill except i think spirer will be missed more then people think. hope your right and accardo and/or league will step up but im not very confident in those guys. but signing spirer for what anahiem did was a waste of cash if we did that so i dont disagree with letting him go.
                I just don't know that he hasn't done anything that anyone else couldn't do. I may be biased, but I look at someone like Terry Ryan and Billy Beane. Every year, they are forced to make big decisions in regards to which superstars/good players they should let go. Routinely, these guys have proven that they can make the right decisions.

Don't get me wrong, the Blue Jays have made good decisions in regard to which guys to go out and spend big money on and they have definitely assembled a competitive team, but I don't see where any GM couldn't/wouldn't have done the same thing. Let's face it, he may have overpaid for Burnett and he definitely overpaid for Molina, so where has he proven himself? I would need to see him bring in someone like a Alex Gonzalez, Mark Loretta, Doug Mientkiewicz, Rondell White or some of the lower end free agents and have them fill a much needed gap (i.e., like Beane did with Frank Thomas and Ryan did with Dennys Reyes).

Comment

When you're up against the Sox and the Yankees, Mark Loretta and Rondell White aren't gonna cut it. Other than Molina, Riccardi hasn't made a bad move, IMO.

Plus, how can you fault JP for being given more money? I'm sure he would have done okay on his plan, but then he was given extra budget, so he could improve the team more quickly. And so far, he's done a good job.
                  WAMCO!

Comment

Originally posted by RichmondHillPhoenix
                    When you're up against the Sox and the Yankees, Mark Loretta and Rondell White aren't gonna cut it. Other than Molina, Riccardi hasn't made a bad move, IMO.

Plus, how can you fault JP for being given more money? I'm sure he would have done okay on his plan, but then he was given extra budget, so he could improve the team more quickly. And so far, he's done a good job.
                    Hey, I'm not faulting him, but any GM given lots of money to work with is going to come away with good players. That's like saying that Cashman, Epstein and Colletti should be GM of the year every year because they sign great players.

I want to see him find a diamond in the rough before I'll say he's doing any better than OK. Again, I give him credit for signing Ryan and Burnett...both are very good players, but any GM with that much money to spend would have done the same thing. The Blue Jays have a good team with a fairly modest budget...I'll stick with my rating of "6". Win the World Series (or at least make the playoffs with a $80mln budget and I'll move it up another point or two.

Comment

So, if I read that correctly, you said that Beane and Ryan have tough decisions to make every year. So does everyother GM. You said that Beane and Ryan make good decisions year in and year out. Then you went on to state that JP does a good job of this as well. What's the difference? The difference, to me, is that Beane has had 10 years of trial and error as GM to get things right. Ryan has had 13 years as GM of the Twins. . JP has been on the job with the Jays since 2001. The first three or four years were spent just trying to fix the mess he inherited. It wasn't until 2005 , that he was even giving a fighting schance to let this team compete. Trust me, when the Jays are making noise in the playoffs the next little while, the naysayers will be lining up to praise JP for the work he's done.

Comment

Originally posted by Colorado Express
                        I would need to see him bring in someone like a Alex Gonzalez, Mark Loretta, Doug Mientkiewicz, Rondell White or some of the lower end free agents and have them fill a much needed gap (i.e., like Beane did with Frank Thomas and Ryan did with Dennys Reyes).
                        A-Gon, Loretta, Mient, and White are filling gaps? Gonzalez got an absurd contract that he isnt worth -- Where would Loretta play? Hes not very good offensively anymore. Mient is better than Overbay? Where will he play? Rondell White is good now? Where have I been? I'm so confused -- are we in bizarro world, where Jason Marquis is the best starter in the league and Johan Santana is nothing more than a career minor leaguer??? Ahhh --- ITS THE TWILIGHT ZONE!!

Comment

I forgot to mention, JP inherited a team with Raul Mondesi on it. Mondesi made $10mil a season his first 2 years with the Jays, $11mil the next year, and $13mil when finally the glorious saviours known as the Yankees took him off of our hands. Mondesi was a useless waste as a Blue Jays, as was Pedro Borbon, the guy he was traded here with. That deal, where Shawn Green left town, in my opinion, seriously hampered this team's development. Green was a rising young superstar and, unfortunatley, the Jays were forced to trade him. Had the jays kept Green, or traded him for something decent, the Jays would be alot better off today.

Comment

Originally posted by EvanAparra
                            A-Gon, Loretta, Mient, and White are filling gaps? Gonzalez got an absurd contract that he isnt worth -- Where would Loretta play? Hes not very good offensively anymore. Mient is better than Overbay? Where will he play? Rondell White is good now? Where have I been? I'm so confused -- are we in bizarro world, where Jason Marquis is the best starter in the league and Johan Santana is nothing more than a career minor leaguer??? Ahhh --- ITS THE TWILIGHT ZONE!!
                            I'm not saying that they should have signed these players, just similar low-level talent. Teams like the Twins and A's have been forced to go after low-level talent to fill gaps and have been able to consistently compete by finding the "right guys" to fit their needs.

Again, I'm not saying he hasn't done a decent job, I just need to see more before he can rate any higher than a 6.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris from NY
                              So, if I read that correctly, you said that Beane and Ryan have tough decisions to make every year. So does everyother GM. You said that Beane and Ryan make good decisions year in and year out. Then you went on to state that JP does a good job of this as well. What's the difference? The difference, to me, is that Beane has had 10 years of trial and error as GM to get things right. Ryan has had 13 years as GM of the Twins. . JP has been on the job with the Jays since 2001. The first three or four years were spent just trying to fix the mess he inherited. It wasn't until 2005 , that he was even giving a fighting schance to let this team compete. Trust me, when the Jays are making noise in the playoffs the next little while, the naysayers will be lining up to praise JP for the work he's done.
                              Yes, every GM has to make tough decisions, some are just tougher than others. Many GMs don't have the luxury of chasing "good" free-agents and are forced to try to win with lesser payrolls. The GMs that can put together competitive teams with minimal salaries are the guys that deserve an 8-10 rating. If you're going to start throwing around $50-100+ million for players, you had at least better start making the playoffs to get an 8.

Comment

Originally posted by Colorado Express
                                Yes, every GM has to make tough decisions, some are just tougher than others. Many GMs don't have the luxury of chasing "good" free-agents and are forced to try to win with lesser payrolls. The GMs that can put together competitive teams with minimal salaries are the guys that deserve an 8-10 rating. If you're going to start throwing around $50-100+ million for players, you had at least better start making the playoffs to get an 8.
                                Like I said, JP was given a payroll to work with before the 2006 season. . That left one season for this team to make the playoffs. They finished second place in that season, the highest they've been since they won the WS. I am hereby guaranteeing the Blue Jays make the playoffs in 2007, and that they will be WS contenders over the next few years.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X