Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Toronto Blue Jays : a good team or not this year ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toronto Blue Jays : a good team or not this year ?

I'm new to baseball. I'm Canadian. I want to support the Toronto Blue Jays. So I need informations about this team. Who is or are the star players, etc. Thanks in advance for your answers guys.
    Baseball, always baseball.

Welcome! The Blue Jays looks to be a very strong team this year, and should compete for a playoff spot. They are anchored by pitcher Roy 'Doc" Halladay and Centre Fielder Vernon Wells. They two players are arguable the foundation of the team. They have been Jays their whole careers and are both in the prime of their career.
    The Jays also have Frank Thomas at DH. While old, Thomas proved to still be a force to be reckoned with at the plate. Thomas is probably one of the best hitters in the recent history of the game. He is poised to become just the 21 (I think that's right) player in major league history to hit 500 Home Runs. That will be a fun side-note to watch for this season.
    The Blue Jays also have talented players such as former World Series MVP Troy Glaus, and one of the best doubles hitters in the game today in Lyle Overbay.
    The Jays Closer, B.J. Ryan, is one of the top closers in Baseball, and is generally automatic in the ninth inning.
    Also on the team is rising Superstar Alex Rios, and Reed Johnson and Gregg Zaun, two players whose hustle and desire game in and game out make them fan favourites. Rounding out the Blue Jays is a good solid core of talented players. The Blue Jays should be a very good team to watch this season and should have a very good chance to make the playoffs.
    I hope that helps, and didn't just seem like crazy ramblings from a self-described Homer.
    If you have any other questions, just feel free to ask. We have a very friendly group of posters here who will be more than willing to help out. (Except RichmondHillPhoenix, he's bad people. )
    Like Maple Syrup, Canada's evil oozes over the United States.

Comment

Welcome to our forum of yes-men. We are a brotherhood of people who compulsively agree with each other on all issues Jays. Just nod your head and agree and you will fit in fine here .

But seriously, welcome.

Another aspect of the team to pay attention to this season is pitching. There is competition for spots in the rotation and the bullpen. Halladay and Burnett are written in stone in the rotation, but after that it's all up for grabs. Gustavo Chacin is likely to be the third starter. After that, there is a group of guys competing for the last two spots: John Thomson, Tomo Ohka, Shawn Marcum and Josh Towers seem like the likely candidates.

As for the bullpen, BJ Ryan is the closer. Jason Frasor, Brian Tallet, Brandon League and Scott Downs are likely to be in the pen this season. That leaves 2 more spots, likely to be filled by: Jeremy Accardo, Fransisco Rosario and Davis Romero. Shawn Marcum will likely be in the pen if he doesn't get a starting role. As well, Victor Zambrano (coming back from elbow surgery last May) is saying that he wants to be in the bullpen around the start of the season.

There's a run-down of the pitching situation coming into this season.

Now guys, agree with me!

PS: Hey! What did I ever do to you?!?!
      WAMCO!

Comment

Hi. I'm the Sox fan that for some reason always sticks his head and here and gives these Jays fans a reality check. CHECK, SUCKAS!

In all seriousness, this is a good place to learn all things Jays. ChrisfromNY and RHP are pretty knowledgable about the team and can answer pretty much any question you have. This is a great forum, welcome.

Evan
        Originally posted by Domenic
        The Yankees should see if Yogi Berra can still get behind the plate - he has ten World Series rings... he must be worth forty or fifty million a season.

Comment

welcome to our lovely forums my friend. by the way, totally diggin' the username!

Comment

Originally posted by Westlake
            Hi. I'm the Sox fan that for some reason always sticks his head and here and gives these Jays fans a reality check. CHECK, SUCKAS!
            How do you already have over 800 posts? That's even worse than before.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris from NY
              How do you already have over 800 posts? That's even worse than before.
              Jeez Chris, always on my a** about that! I bet about 700 of those are in that All-Time draft. That's all I do nowadays.
              The Yankees should see if Yogi Berra can still get behind the plate - he has ten World Series rings... he must be worth forty or fifty million a season.

Comment

Hey West. You've actually got 224 posts in the All-Time draft. I was just curious...

Anyways, thanks for coming around every once in a while. With flying27 not making many appearances anymore, we need someone to spice it up!

PS - If Ryan Smyth was really that loyal to Edmonton, he would've stayed for less money. It was a couple hundred thousand. Give me a break.
                WAMCO!

Comment

Originally posted by Richmond Hill Phoenix
                  Hey West. You've actually got 224 posts in the All-Time draft. I was just curious...

Anyways, thanks for coming around every once in a while. With flying27 not making many appearances anymore, we need someone to spice it up!

PS - If Ryan Smyth was really that loyal to Edmonton, he would've stayed for less money. It was a couple hundred thousand. Give me a break.
                  Ryan Smyth had already taken less money to stay with the team in 2003. By saying "if he was that loyal, he would have stayed for less money" -- you need to aknowledge it goes both ways. Smyth had already bended for them once, and instead of giving him the couple hundred thousand to keep their fan favorite around, not only do they not give him the money, they trade him in the middle of the season. Gime ME a break.

Comment

I see what you mean. But I'm not gonna feel bad for him when he's crying at the airport if he could have stayed for $4.8 million instead of $5.

And now, back to the featured presentation.
                    WAMCO!

Comment

I see what you mean. But I'm not gonna feel bad for him when he's crying at the airport if he could have stayed for $4.8 million instead of $5.

And now, back to the featured presentation.
                      I feel bad for him. He has to leave somewhere he wanted to be. He felt disrespected. It's understandable. But yes, he could have stayed. I felt worse for Bronson Arroyo for what the Sox did to him though.

To answer the thread...

YES! The Jays will be a good team.

Comment

PS: Hey! What did I ever do to you?!?!
                        Nothing. I'm just, in some ways, a small and petty individual.

Comment

I see the Blue Jays as the surprise team this year. They have a tough division but they can pull it off for sure. I keep forgetting that Frank Thomas is on your team. He is close to his 500th homerun. He is my favorite player and I wish he helps you guys beat the Red Sox and Yankees to take the division. It is getting old with those two teams. Just my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by CHI-TOWN SOX 2005
                            I see the Blue Jays as the surprise team this year. They have a tough division but they can pull it off for sure. I keep forgetting that Frank Thomas is on your team. He is close to his 500th homerun. He is my favorite player and I wish he helps you guys beat the Red Sox and Yankees to take the division. It is getting old with those two teams. Just my opinion.
                            Absolutely agree with you. It's been old, old like rotten tomatoes...Boston and New York, New York and Boston. When will it end?

I'm really hoping for a breakout season for the Jays. They do have enough bats to get by. Big Frank is on the team as the DH, and he had a huge season with the A's last year. I think it's all going to come down to Toronto's pitching staff. If they can hold up in the majority of the division battles, they have a shot.
                            My Top 4 funniest BBF posts ever:

1) "plZ dOn;t' pOsT LikE tHIs n e mOr!"

2) "The teams play 1962 games in 180 days."

3) "Stadiums don't move silly, people do."

4) "Once again you quibble, because it is I who speaks."

5) Almost anything RuthMayBond says...

Comment

If pitching is good the Jays will be a force this year, no team has done as much to improve themselves so much over the last 2 years as the Jays have.

And geez, talking about hockey on a baseball forum? What is wrong with you?

GO HABS
                              B.J. Birdie: 1979 - 1999. You will never be forgotten, death to Ace.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X