X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burnett hurt!

TSN.ca Staff

3/18/2006 6:39:19 PM

The Toronto Blue Jays removed starter A.J. Burnett early from his start against the Boston Red Sox on Saturday for precautionary reasons due to an elbow injury.

After throwing one pitch in the second inning, Blue Jays' pitching coach Brad Arnsberg and a trainer spoke with Burnett on the mound, before removing the right-hander from the game.

"We're paying this guy $55 million or whatever to pitch," Arnsberg told MLB.com. "It's a huge loss. Hopefully we don't have anything to worry about."

"It would be a big blow if it's something serious,'' manager John Gibbons told the Toronto Star. "We're hoping not. But I mean, even if it's nothing serious it's going to set him back. We don't know for how long. I mean, we're pulling for the kid. And if it's something serious, then we've got to make adjustments like we did last year.''

The Star reported that Burnett would have an MRI exam. The team has reportedly told coaches and staff not to say anything more about Burnett's injury until further notice.

"He kept saying he was sore, he was sore," catcher Bengie Molina told the paper. "He couldn't do another pitch. He couldn't handle it."

Burnett threw 17 pitches in the first inning, allowing two runs on three hits. Including today, Burnett has a 9.00 ERA in eight innings this spring.

Burnett signed a five-year, $55 million contract with the Blue Jays in December.

Gustavo Chacin replaced Burnett.

h :grouchy

His MRI was negitive so its nothing serious so he will probably be fine. Anyways Burnett is way overrated this year. Dont expect a 20 win season out of him. He will probably have a 10 to 13 win season I think.
    Last edited by RedSoxVT92; 03-18-2006, 08:31 PM.
    go sox.

Pigskin-Fever

Comment

Originally posted by RedSoxVT92
      His MRI was negitive so its nothing serious so he will probably be fine. Anyways Burnett is way overrated this year. Dont expect a 20 win season out of him. He will probably have a 10 to 13 win season I think.
      Yah he'll restart pitching in 5 days.

Comment

Originally posted by RedSoxVT92
        Could say the same about Beckett....

Comment

Gee, maybe the Marlins' management were smart for dumping those two! ...yeah, right!
          My Top 4 funniest BBF posts ever:

1) "plZ dOn;t' pOsT LikE tHIs n e mOr!"

2) "The teams play 1962 games in 180 days."

3) "Stadiums don't move silly, people do."

4) "Once again you quibble, because it is I who speaks."

5) Almost anything RuthMayBond says...

Comment

Thankfully Burnett is fine. I think he can have a breakout season, he gets along well with the pitching coach Brad Arnsburg.

Comment

Originally posted by Knick9
              Gee, maybe the Marlins' management were smart for dumping those two! ...yeah, right!
              Marlin's management and smart in the same sentence, now I've seen everything!
              Like Maple Syrup, Canada's evil oozes over the United States.

Comment

Looks like Burnett threw with no pain today. That is certainly wonderful news!

Comment

I can't wait to see him blow that 98 MPH heater past opposing batters...man I love power pitchers!!

Comment

http://tsn.ca/mlb/news_story/?ID=160512&hubname=

well that is excellent news :grouchy. i was sorta fearing this would happen. i heard on an interview with jp last night that he is going to pitch in the last ST game, 2 rehab starts with syracuse (can't remember the dates) and on the 16th vs. Chicago he will make his debut.

Comment

Reading this I thought it dealt with what happened today. His expensive arm is hurting again. Everybody is so desperate for pitching they will give an unproven guy like this big money to come up and try. I wish MLB would raise the mound back up to pre 1968 levels.

Comment

He was throwing too hard. 95-98 mph. The guy need to stay in the low 90's if he wants to keep from hurting himself.

Comment

Prepare to see alot of Josh Banks!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X