The AJ Burnett thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nothing groundbreaking or anything, but:

TORONTO -- The Blue Jays don't want to wind up empty-handed in the event that A.J. Burnett decides not to re-sign with the club this winter. That being the case, Toronto plans on offering the pitcher arbitration on Monday, securing some compensation in the process.
    This procedural step will ensure that the Jays receive a pair of early picks in the 2009 First-Year Player Draft should Burnett sign with another club. Since Burnett is considered a Type A free agent, Toronto would gain a sandwich selection between the first and second rounds and either a first- or second-round pick, depending on the team that signs the pitcher.

All teams have until midnight ET at the end of Monday to offer salary arbitration to their six-year free agents. The players in question then have until Dec. 7 to either accept or reject the one-year offer. In Burnett's case, the pitcher will undoubtedly decline, considering he's on the verge of receiving a lucrative multiyear contract from any number of suitors.

Comment

ATLANTA -- The Braves have made an offer to free agent right-hander A.J. Burnett, general manager Frank Wren acknowledged on Thursday.
      Terms of the offer weren't revealed but a Major League source said it is for four years with a vesting option for a fifth that is "very attainable," the source said.

Wren said he did not know when he might get a response to the offer.

There has been speculation that Burnett won't sign with anyone until after CC Sabathia, a free agent who figures to set the market for pitchers this offseason, lands a deal. But Wren believes that might not be the case.
      Anybody think the Braves are a realistic landing spot for Burnett?

Comment

according to JP, a unrealistic spot for him is toronto:

http://tsn.ca/mlb/story/?id=258440&l...=secStory_main

Comment

Originally posted by babaganoosh View Post
          Anybody think the Braves are a realistic landing spot for Burnett?
          I'm not surprised to see Atlanta throw themselves into this. They were my dark horse team to sign A.J. after all the Yankees and Red Sox talk. I think A.J. would be a good fit in Atlanta. I also think he'd be a good fit in Toronto, but that's not going to happen by the looks of it. But never fear, he'll sign a five year deal somewhere which means he'll be on the open market in three if we really want him badly.
          Like Maple Syrup, Canada's evil oozes over the United States.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBeginningWasTheEnd View Post
            Bill Bavasi isn't afraid of big deals, but thats in the negative sense. Gillick is a genius IMO, but I'm afraid that he may just flat out retire.
            We have already had one GM named Bavasi, as much of a genius as the dad may have been it didn't transfer.

Comment

We had h on the books for $12 million why is it so much of a stretch with teh numbers coming in at $15M?

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Mac View Post
                according to JP, a unrealistic spot for him is toronto:

http://tsn.ca/mlb/story/?id=258440&l...=secStory_main
                Personally, I think an unrealistic spot for JP is Toronto. God, I wish we would lose that clown! To me AJ at $60 mill is a much better deal than JP at any price

Comment

According to Ken Rosenthal of Foxsports.com the Atlanta Braves have tabled a five-year, $80 million offer to A.J. Burnett.

Negotiations between the two parties "progressed through the night" after the Braves were initially reluctant to give Burnett the fifth year he covets. However, with the New York Yankees in the mix for the former Blue Jay it seems Atlanta is willing to now make the concession
                  Like Brunett's agent said, he'll get that 5th year if he wants...

Comment

Originally posted by babaganoosh View Post
                    Like Brunett's agent said, he'll get that 5th year if he wants...
                    yep and probably more money than he wants. im glad we are out of the bidding because this could eventually turn very bad for the team who signs him.

Comment

NEW YORK -- The New York Yankees have reeled in another top pitcher, reaching agreement with A.J. Burnett on a five-year contract.

Burnett won a career-high 18 games with Toronto this season and then became a free agent.

Earlier this week, the Yankees reached a deal with ace CC Sabathia for seven years and US$161 million.

Burnett's agreement was confirmed Friday by the office of his agent, Darek Braunecker.
                      And there he goes. Not too surprised where he went, expect him to get booed when he returns to Toronto

Comment

Baseball needs a salary cap. I am sick and tired of watching all the top free agents go to the same teams over and over because they can afford to give them ridiculous amounts of money. I'm beginning to wonder if there's even a reason to watch this game anymore.
                        Like Maple Syrup, Canada's evil oozes over the United States.

Comment

I wish New York fans the best watching this guy for the first four years of his contract. I'm glad he is not here but does it not scare you a bit that he's playing in our division?

Comment

Is Burnett "A-pool"?

Like the title says, was Burnett rated an 'A'-pool free agent? In other words, do we at least get a sandwich pick next year?

(Sorry...never mind, I just read post #31)
                            Last edited by Shoeless; 12-13-2008, 09:30 AM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X