2008 Jays awards winners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2008 Jays awards winners

TORONTO BLUE JAYS RHP ROY HALLADAY, a unanimous selection by the Toronto chapter of the BBWAA as the club's Pitcher of the Year highlights the list of 2008 winners. OF VERNON WELLS was honoured as the Player of the Year, LHP JESSE CARLSON captured Rookie of the Year honours, while OF ADAM LIND was selected as Most Improved. This year's winner of the John Cerutti Award is PAUL GODFREY.

HALLADAY, 31, won 20+ games for the second time in his career, posting a 20-11 record with a 2.78 ERA in 33 starts in 2008. The Denver, Colorado, native led the AL with nine complete games and 246 innings pitched. The BBWAA has now selected Halladay six times for the award and six of the last seven seasons.

WELLS, 29, received the Neil MacCarl award, named after the longtime baseball writer from the Toronto Star, representing the club's Player of the Year. The 6'1", 225 lb. outfielder led the club with 20 home runs and 78 RBIs in only 108 games. The resident of Southlake, Texas, has claimed the award for third time, and has now been honoured in three of the last four seasons.

CARLSON, 27, posted a 7-2 record with an 2.25 ERA in a club-high 69 games. The New Britain, Connecticut, native made his ML debut in style, retiring the first nine batters he faced, including a sterling effort vs. Texas on April 16, striking out the side after entering the game with the bases loaded in the 11th inning. His seven victories in relief are tied for second most all time by a Blue Jays rookie.
    There was a longer article breaking down the votes beyond the first place finishers, but I can't remember where I found it, so this will have to do.

I have no idea how Vernon won player of the year. That just seems ridiculous to me.

Gotta love Jesse Carlson though. He came out of nowhere to have a great season.
    Like Maple Syrup, Canada's evil oozes over the United States.

Comment

Yeah, I thought Halladay should have won player of the year award, also, just like Dave Stieb did once.

The only explanation I can think of is that the writers have decided that the pitcher should no longer be able to win both awards. As no Jays regular player had a really great year, Wells won by default.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X