X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why cant the jays make a move for lugo

the jays could use a better defensive ss
    the jays could use a vetran in the infield
    the jays could use a guy that can steal and hit for average to play lead off

Lugo is known to be available why have the jays shown no interest.

He would improve our team so much and we could trade the likes of dustin mcowan and maybe a little more. Well any one else wonder why we havent gone after lugo???

Originally posted by ricky151
    the jays could use a better defensive ss
    the jays could use a vetran in the infield
    the jays could use a guy that can steal and hit for average to play lead off

Lugo is known to be available why have the jays shown no interest.

He would improve our team so much and we could trade the likes of dustin mcowan and maybe a little more. Well any one else wonder why we havent gone after lugo???
    Lugo is now on the DL and is as big Injury-Prone / Risk Player . He has shown inconsistency over the last few years and is not the player he use to be .

Comment

and adams is capable of playing shortstop and leading off.

if we need to go after something, it should be a rightfielder but i'm content with everything right now

Comment

I don't see a need for Lugo. Adams is going to have ups and downs but he did good last year as a rookie. I can only see him getting better from there. And as for a veteran in the infield, Johnny Mac, Troy Glaus, Shea Hillenbrand, and Lyle Overbay all come to mind.
        Like Maple Syrup, Canada's evil oozes over the United States.

Comment

yes

i know russ adams could become a good ball player, but a lead of on a championship team i doubt it.We want to win right now isn't that that the reason ricardi went and got the big guns and shelled out the money. The yankees have jeter and i know we can't get a 20 million dollar guy like that, but we have to at least have a player in the caliber of alex gonzales on boston.

Russ adams had a 256 average last year a 348 onbase percentage if with 1 stolen base. I know stealing is not of the most importance in todays baseball, but 1 steal out of your lead of man.

Now lets talk about his defence. lugo fielding percentage was 968 last year and has only fallen below 960% one year in his career. Russ adams was a 952 percent last year. i know our offence is better but we cant afford to be giving free baserunners.

the last 3 years lugo has batted 275 or higher and is in the prime of his career. Since when did we care about injury prone.. a j burnette.. i rest my case.

I am a big jays fan and maybe I am expecting too much out of a ss. I hope that you guys prove me wrong and we will be playing baseball come fall.

Comment

I was actually pondering this same question myself right before the season started. The Jays have a good core of young players at every level of the organization. But it seems that the offseason spending spree has pushed our expectations of some of the younger guys up. We know Rios, Hill, Adams etc. will be good but now they've been pushed into the limelight and forced to progress quicker than anticipated. I think this is something that has been overlooked so far, and is one of the things that I am curious to watch out for this season.

Comment

we have to give adams time as well. we didn't put a team of 36 year olds on their last wheel for a shot at a pennant, we have a bunch of players on the right side of thirty here for a couple shots at it. you can very well make a case for lugo being better this season but we must remember adams is young and you have to give him time and next season, we could very well be thanking JP for not trading for a shortstop when Adams is batting .300 and putting balls in the bleachers. give adams time and a chance. i think he is very capable of lead-off toronto into the playoffs.

Comment

Dustin McGowan has a significant upside as a pitcher of the future. The Jays should be very careful about not losing him. Again, I don't want to beat a dead horse, but if the right player for the right deal came along I would seriously consider an upgrade at SS and still try to keep Adams. I know, you can't keep them all!!

Comment

Hey, maybe we should try and get Lugo after all. He was just responsible for putting 2 on and none in the bottom of the 8th for Troy Glaus in a one run ball game. That's exactly what we need from a lead-off hitter.

Comment

Lets get O-dog back!! Hehe, I dont think anyone would be opposed to bringing him back and moving him to shortstop.?
                    Danks & Diamond

2 Future Aces, 1 Team....

Comment

I'd absolutely snap if the Jays traded McGowan for Julio Lugo! You don't trade a young former first-round pitcher who can hit 98 MPH for an average at best SS.

Comment

Originally posted by WinnipegJaysFan
                        I'd absolutely snap if the Jays traded McGowan for Julio Lugo! You don't trade a young former first-round pitcher who can hit 98 MPH for an average at best SS.
                        I agree!! Mcgowan has too much upside for the future to let go.

Comment

i hate it when im right

First thing. I dont get how your okay with the jays picking up a lemon in bernet for a hefty contract. Letting go carpenter for nothing. But you cant stand to lose mcgowan. You guys have to get your priorites straight.

Secondly remember i said adams is not a valid ss. Well guess what i was right and where is he now????
                          in the minor. I would exept some sort of yeah your right in a reply now. Please admit that you were wrong about lugo and i will feel better. Why cant you guys get it we are a contender we need to win now. As much as i like to see it don think we can afford to keep an alstar team like the redsox and yankees around for long. Mcgowan is a huge question mark on how good he can be. If he was that good we would not be saying man that verlander and loriano are going to be great young pitchers we would also have mcowans name in there.

I am not doubting that mcowan could be a decent pitcher some day, but you have to know he is a long way from that.

They jays have been horrible in the steal department for many years why would you regect filling a weakness that is very evident in our team.

Well i hate to say i told you so, but i told you so

Comment

Sadly you were the only one who was wrong about Lugo. Adams will be a more valuable major league commodity than Lugo will ever be. Adams is struggling but will be able to turn things around and be able to contribute. Lugo not even close to even with Kennedy.

Burnett can be a dominating pitcher when his arm is healthy. His extended stay on the DL is just to amke sure the arm does indeed get healthy. After-all, a couple of months on the DL isn't a whole lot when you compare it to the 5 years his contract states he will be here for.

And as for Chris Carpenter, I remember him being "a huge question mark on how good he can be", and it was after he left the Jays that his career turned around, without that chance for a fresh start he might not have become a Cy Young calibre pitcher. Besides, I don't recall anyone on this forum saying it was ok that Carpenter went for nothing. I dodn't to search this forum for the word Carpenter to see when he was even mnetioned on the Jays board: http://www.baseball-fever.com/showth...ight=Carpenter

As I found out he was mentioned only sparingly here and i most occasions it is noted that it was wrong to let him go.

And while it is true that the Jays are weak in the stolen base department (20th in the majors), Lugo is not the answer. He has total of 8 SB's which is a grand total of...get ready.....1 more than Alex Rios has. . Oh ya and Lugo has a spectacular .98 fielding percentage this year which gives him a carrer fielding percentage of .967

Comment

you have to consider range

do you know anything about fielding man. You have to also consider range my friend. How many balls can the fielder get too and at ss this is of huge importance. Adams does not have a good range and secondly how many at bats has lugo had compared to rios. He had misses a lot of time in the begining of the year wich you may forget or choose not to remember. So lugo has more steals than any jay and with far less at bats.. thanks for proving my point.

class 2 finishes stay tuned for more lessons

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X