Roy Halladay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roy Halladay

The Jays GM has said he will listen to offers for Hallady. What are your thoughts? Who might he go to and what will the Jays get for him?

The rumor in St Louis is that Halladay may be coming to the Cardinals. His best friend in baseball is Chris Carpenter and, supposedly, an official with the Cardinals took a sheet with a list of names of the minor league prospects for St Louis and said the Blue Jays could start circling names to make the deal happen.

Comment

Originally posted by disgrig View Post
      The rumor in St Louis is that Halladay may be coming to the Cardinals. His best friend in baseball is Chris Carpenter and, supposedly, an official with the Cardinals took a sheet with a list of names of the minor league prospects for St Louis and said the Blue Jays could start circling names to make the deal happen.
      Halladay has stated many times before that he hates batting... so I would have to assume he won't go to any NL teams.
      http://www.blackbetsy.com/movies/joeatbat.mpg

Comment

I don't think Halladay would refuse a trade to the NL just because he'd have to bat. But I also don't think he'll be traded at all.

Comment

I'm hoping he doesn't get traded at all. I don't care how sweet the pot gets, I'll be crushed to see him in another uniform.
          Like Maple Syrup, Canada's evil oozes over the United States.

Comment

I'm hoping he doesn't get traded at all.
            well then that's just postponing the inevitable as there's very little chance the Jays will sign him as a free agent.

Comment

I love Halladay, but I hope we trade him. The Jays are NOT going to beat the Yankees & Red Sox in 2010, so we might as well get TOP propects for him. The Jays farm system is very thin at the top; I don't believe we have even 1 prospect ranked in Baseball America's Top 50. I think we have too many holes to win next year, as we don't have a proven closer, legit 3 & 4 hitter, and proven lead off man (althought Scutaro has performed admirally, he's 34). Our young starting pitching is promising, but hardly blue chip. McGowan/Marcum/Romero have never been hugely successful in the Minor Leagues, so I question how good they will be up here. Call me skeptical but optimistic for now.

In short, we have too many holes to compete soon therefore we MUST trade Halladay or getting NOTHING for him if he walks. Even if we wait until next year to trade him, his value is greatly diminished since he becomes a rent-a-player. He's more appealing to teams now because he's signed for next year at a good price. We need to get LEGITIMATE top prospects in return like a Madison Bumgarner, Brett Wallace. We need to get a major league ready hitter. We need TOP talent period in order to build from within because its not happening with this group IMO.

Better yet, we need to package Vernon Wells in any deal with Halladay and cut our losses. If we could eat half his remaining contract or thereabouts, perhaps it becomes palatable for another team to take Wells at $10M/year, since he still fields well. We need to get out from under that contract even if it means a buyout because he's a HUGE albatross on our payroll.

We need to leverage the Halladay situation to move to grab top prospects, rebuild for the future and move Wells. If we don't make this deal, we lose leverage in 2010 and furthermore we still won't be winning.

Comment

In short, we have too many holes to compete soon therefore we MUST trade Halladay or getting NOTHING for him if he walks.
                actually the Jays get 2 (i think it's 2) compensation draft picks if Halladay signs elsewhere as a free agent. this gives the Jays leverage in trade talks as they do get something even if they don't make a trade.

Comment

Originally posted by riceman View Post
                  actually the Jays get 2 (i think it's 2) compensation draft picks if Halladay signs elsewhere as a free agent. this gives the Jays leverage in trade talks as they do get something even if they don't make a trade.
                  I thought it was 1 compensation pick, but even if its 2, it will be a pick in the thirties or 40's (after all teams choose their first rounders) and the second pick will be in the 60's or higher. That's hardly the same talent they could get now. Not even close.

Our leverage starts evaporating, althought not completely, after this year's trade deadline. And what happens if Halladay has an off year, say 8-7 with a 3.70 ERA next year, or even worse, gets injured. We'll get much less or possibly nothing if injured - and we're still not winning. Keeping Halladay makes no sense unless you think we're winning in 2010, which we're not.
                  Last edited by Greg Maddux's Biggest Fan; 07-12-2009, 12:09 PM.

Comment

I'd rather get rid of Wells, Rios and Overbay. Whats Wells making now, $20 million ? Rios at about $10 million and Overbay at $7 million... imagine what kind of free agents they could get with just half of that...? A starting rotation with Halladay, Romero and a healthy McGowan and Marcum would be a top rotation. With the roughly $30 million saved dumping Wells and Rios, I'm confident that the Jays could sign a closer and add a couple of good hitters with that. Realistically, I don't think anybody wants Overbay, but Scutaro has been pretty good, same with Hill, Lind, Rolen and Barajas. I think we all know Snider is going to be a great player soon, so I would be optimistic with this team IF they can dump some of those ridiculous contracts handed out to our good friends Wells and Rios...
                    http://www.blackbetsy.com/movies/joeatbat.mpg

Comment

Back from the dead to make a post about the uber-awesome Roy Halladay

Originally posted by History Of Baseball Fan View Post
                      Halladay has stated many times before that he hates batting... so I would have to assume he won't go to any NL teams.
                      From the ASG press conference:
                      "I'd rather hit than have to face (Derek) Jeter, A-Rod, (Hideki) Matsui, (Mark) Teixeira and all the other guys (in the AL East),"

So I don't think he'll completely shut out the NL, but I'm sure he'd prefer the AL. He has said that as long as it's a contending team, he'd really consider it.

Originally posted by disgrig View Post
                      When I first heard Halladay was on the block, Chris Carpenter's name came up immediately. Several years later, both pitchers have developed so much and now they can be aces beside each other. I don't know the Card's farm system well enough, but if the whole list of names of prospects thing is true, JP better get a bunch of talent back.

Originally posted by Chris from NY View Post
                      I'm hoping he doesn't get traded at all. I don't care how sweet the pot gets, I'll be crushed to see him in another uniform.
                      As much as I hate it as well, as a Jays fan, I have to accept him being traded. I don't want to see the same thing happen with guys like Delgado and Burnett and get much less in return just to see him pitch a little bit more. Hold out some hope though. Halladay becomes a UFA after 2010, so if this trade improves us enough to a playoff contending team (especially with people returning from injuries), he might come back later on if he feels like we're ready. Maybe short-term deal, 1 or 2 years, but I still hold out hope he'll be back.

Originally posted by Greg Maddux's Biggest Fan View Post
                      I don't believe we have even 1 prospect ranked in Baseball America's Top 50.
                      I don't know about now, but Travis Snider was like top 5 or top 10 to begin the year. He's been injured down there for so long, he may have dropped.

McGowan/Marcum/Romero have never been hugely successful in the Minor Leagues, so I question how good they will be up here. Call me skeptical but optimistic for now.
                      Well Marcum has been solid in the majors for 2 years prior to the injury. I think between him and McGowan, he's probably a safer bet to be a consistant #2 type guy in the future.

As far as Romero goes, I think it all has to do with Brad Arnsberg. In the minors and even in spring training, Romero's struggles were well documented. Then when the Jays send him down, Arnsberg says hold on, let him work with Ricky, and bam look at what he's done. I think Arnie is the primary reason why Romero, who always had major league stuff, is performing the way he is and as long as he's here, I think Romero will be a solid piece for us. If he ever leaves though, the psychologicall effects may mess up Romero though...just my little theory and fears about Ricky.

I thought it was 1 compensation pick, but even if its 2, it will be a pick in the thirties or 40's (after all teams choose their first rounders) and the second pick will be in the 60's or higher. That's hardly the same talent they could get now. Not even close.
                      Since Roy Halladay is pretty much a guaranteed Type A free agent, we'll get 2 picks. The first round pick from the team that signs him (1-30) + a compensation pick (the 30-40 pick that you mentioned).

I'd rather get rid of Wells, Rios and Overbay. Whats Wells making now, $20 million ? Rios at about $10 million and Overbay at $7 million... imagine what kind of free agents they could get with just half of that...?
                      Rumour has it that JP is trying to package Wells with Halladay right now. The problem is obviously no team wants Well's contract, which is ridiculously back-loaded, so that speaks volumes about Well's market value right now. When you're paired up with Roy Halladay and still nobody wants you, that's gotta hurt just a little bit on the inside...

With the roughly $30 million saved dumping Wells and Rios, I'm confident that the Jays could sign a closer and add a couple of good hitters with that.
                      I'm actually very pleased with Downs closing. He's shown over the past couple seasons he's a top reliever in baseball, has performed admirably against both lefties and righties, set-up and closing, and has tremendous movement on his pitches. So even if he loses a couple MPH like BJ Ryan did, his stuff more than makes up for it and I think he'd be a safe bet to close in the future.

Comment

The Cardinals are reportedly willing to offer a few top prospects for Halladay and are "working hard" to get a deal done.

Comment

A Phillies deal could send prospects Kyle Drabek, Michael Taylor, and Dominic Brown to Toronto for Halladay, according to one of my sources.

Comment

The Dodgers have expressed interest in Halladay and would create a package around Clayton Kershaw to send to the Blu Jays.

Comment

I wouldn't like a Kershaw for Halladay deal.
                              No one can make you
                              Do what they want to
                              You know you're stronger
                              Than the lies
                              That they tell you

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X