Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rolen Deal

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Rolen Deal

    The Cincinnati Enquirer is reporting that the Reds will send third-baseman Edwin Encarnacion, reliever Josh Roenicke and pitching prospect Zach Stewart to Toronto in exchange for the 34-year old Rolen.
    http://www.tsn.ca/mlb/story/?id=286351


    I am very excited about Encarnacion moving to DH and focus solely on hitting, as well as Roenicke in the Pen, Both which should help out team this year.

    The 11.8 Million saved on his contract next year is also worth its weight in gold.

    Big win for Toronto!

  • #2
    I like the trade. It frees up salary for next year, we get 2 solid arms in return (I believe one is a sub-3 ERA guy and the other is a sub-2 ERA guy). I'm not quite sure whether Encanarcion will really ever reach the potential that he had a few years back, but in the overall, I like the trade.

    Comment


    • #3
      Blue Jay fans have to like this deal. Unloading a player who is oft-injured and something malcontent, even if productive, and saving a ton of money is quite a feat. Not sure how well Encarnacion will transition to the AL>
      Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

      Comment


      • #4
        Complete steal for the Jays. Every now and then JP actually pulls something off.
        This is decadent. And I once went to Miami with Darryl Strawberry.

        Comment


        • #5
          The thing I like about Encarnacion is, He has lots of power and by all accounts looks to be a fairly patient hitter drawing 60 walks a few seasons in a row.

          I think his problem is his defense takes away alot of his concentration. I think sticking him at DH and let him focus entirely on hitting might do him good. I think he has the upside potential of somone like Ortiz when he signed with the Twins in 03. (not saying he is as good) I mean that in, he is a hitter with lots of power potential who hasnt established himself. If he does that here, it could go a long way of paving a strong middle of the order going forward with Lind and Hill. :crossfingers:


          The 2 good young arms and the economic freedom this trade made is indeed what tips this deal in the Jays favor!

          Comment


          • #6
            I'm all or this trade. I've seen quite a bit of Blue jays fans complaining about this trade, but that seems stupid to me! I really like Scott Rolen and I admire the way he plays the game, but there's ot a lot of point to keeping him around right now. No one wants to see JP fired more than me, but I like this deal. I actually pretty much just have to agree with what babaganoosh said.
            Like Maple Syrup, Canada's evil oozes over the United States.

            Comment


            • #7
              I enjoyed watching Rolen this year, but its nice to get rid of his $12 or so million next year. I don't know how much Encarnacion and Roenicke are making, but hopefully Encarnacion still has some power left for us Now, if we could only get rid of Wells and Overbay...
              http://www.blackbetsy.com/movies/joeatbat.mpg

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by History Of Baseball Fan View Post
                I enjoyed watching Rolen this year, but its nice to get rid of his $12 or so million next year. I don't know how much Encarnacion and Roenicke are making, but hopefully Encarnacion still has some power left for us Now, if we could only get rid of Wells and Overbay...
                I think Scutaro and maybe even Overbay will be traded before August 30th



                and today I was having a conversation with a buddy about Wells and upon closer inspection there might actually be a market for him this offseason.

                Johnny Damon and Hedeki Matsui are both Free Agents this offseason and both over 35 years of age. While there are players like Guerrero and Holliday that are unsigned, I do think they will be before they hit the open market. All that being said I think the Yankee's might be interested in Wells as he is slated to make as much as Damon was and all his struggling aside, is still a better defensive player then either of them.

                Allthough im probably succumbing to wishfull thinking, I think the logic of it has meritt :crossfingers:

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Woodman19 View Post
                  I think Scutaro and maybe even Overbay will be traded before August 30th



                  and today I was having a conversation with a buddy about Wells and upon closer inspection there might actually be a market for him this offseason.

                  Johnny Damon and Hedeki Matsui are both Free Agents this offseason and both over 35 years of age. While there are players like Guerrero and Holliday that are unsigned, I do think they will be before they hit the open market. All that being said I think the Yankee's might be interested in Wells as he is slated to make as much as Damon was and all his struggling aside, is still a better defensive player then either of them.

                  Allthough im probably succumbing to wishfull thinking, I think the logic of it has meritt :crossfingers:
                  Scutaro has played great this year and I hope this year wasn't a "fluke" season for him. I'd hate to have him signed for 3 or 4 years and end up like Overbay. I also can't see Wells being traded since his contract is back loaded, making what, like $22 million a season for 4 or 5 more years ? I think Damon is making $13 million a year and he is still hitting better than Wells. I guess his stats might be a little inflated since he plays at the new HR launching pad that is New Yankee Stadium. The only thing we can hope for is Wells to end this season very strong and start next season and into the trade deadline playing great baseball if we ever hope to get rid of him. If he was hitting on or about .300 with 30 or so HR and roughly 100 RBI I wouldn't complain about him so much !
                  http://www.blackbetsy.com/movies/joeatbat.mpg

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Along with the impressive numbers, the scouting reports on Stewart are excellent as well. He has good command over a heavy, sinking fastball that sits in the 92-to-96 MPH range. The pitch is a real worm burner, helping him to generate a ton of ground ball outs. He also mixes in a plus slider, which he can consistently locate, and an average-but-improving change-up.

                    The kid is real good. Indeed, according to Gray, he would be the numbers two prospect in the Cincinnati farm system today had he not switched organizations. Giving up that many years of his services will sting down the road.”

                    Great news for Jays fans if Stewart can keep improving. Gray, today, wrote that he wouldn’t be surprised to see the kid win a Cy Young in Toronto. I’ve never seen him pitch, but my reaction is “wow.”
                    http://torontosportsmedia.com/tag/zach-stewart/

                    Interesting Article, and im hoping he is definately right!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I have to say that I am also happy with this trade. Several months ago I think I said something along the lines of: "If he ever has trade value, get rid of him before he hurts himself again". So I would be a hypocrite to go against this deal anyway.

                      Woodman, where did you hear that Encarnacion will be a DH? I can see this working if Lind becomes the permanent LF and Bautista takes over 3B. But I would like to see if Butterfield can improve E's defence. That being said, maybe we'll sign a DH in the offseason, and then put Lind in LF, E at 3B and ditch Bautista. Who knows... there are lots of possibilities.

                      One other thing, slightly off-topic. HoBF, what's the problem with Lyle Overbay? Sure he had a crap year last season, but who didn't? This year he's OPS'ing at a comparable rate to Scott Rolen and Mark Teixeira, and is on pace for about 40 doubles and 20 HR's. I'm fine with shelling out $7 million for a performance like that, not to mention his great defense. Just wondering what the hate is for...
                      WAMCO!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Richmond Hill Phoenix View Post
                        I have to say that I am also happy with this trade. Several months ago I think I said something along the lines of: "If he ever has trade value, get rid of him before he hurts himself again". So I would be a hypocrite to go against this deal anyway.

                        Woodman, where did you hear that Encarnacion will be a DH? I can see this working if Lind becomes the permanent LF and Bautista takes over 3B. But I would like to see if Butterfield can improve E's defence. That being said, maybe we'll sign a DH in the offseason, and then put Lind in LF, E at 3B and ditch Bautista. Who knows... there are lots of possibilities.

                        One other thing, slightly off-topic. HoBF, what's the problem with Lyle Overbay? Sure he had a crap year last season, but who didn't? This year he's OPS'ing at a comparable rate to Scott Rolen and Mark Teixeira, and is on pace for about 40 doubles and 20 HR's. I'm fine with shelling out $7 million for a performance like that, not to mention his great defense. Just wondering what the hate is for...
                        Some people expect a HR every at bat.

                        Its not like Overbay is a typical 1B, but. He has more speed, much better defense. Solid player to have on the team.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Richmond Hill Phoenix View Post
                          I have to say that I am also happy with this trade. Several months ago I think I said something along the lines of: "If he ever has trade value, get rid of him before he hurts himself again". So I would be a hypocrite to go against this deal anyway.

                          Woodman, where did you hear that Encarnacion will be a DH? I can see this working if Lind becomes the permanent LF and Bautista takes over 3B. But I would like to see if Butterfield can improve E's defence. That being said, maybe we'll sign a DH in the offseason, and then put Lind in LF, E at 3B and ditch Bautista. Who knows... there are lots of possibilities.

                          One other thing, slightly off-topic. HoBF, what's the problem with Lyle Overbay? Sure he had a crap year last season, but who didn't? This year he's OPS'ing at a comparable rate to Scott Rolen and Mark Teixeira, and is on pace for about 40 doubles and 20 HR's. I'm fine with shelling out $7 million for a performance like that, not to mention his great defense. Just wondering what the hate is for...
                          I agree Overbays HR and RBI total in fine for the amount of at bats hes had, hes just had too many long stretches where he basically invisible out there. He can't hit left handed pitching and hes only recorded an RBI in 3 out of his last 33 games. He just seems to go up to bat looking for a walk half the time... I get tired of him standing there with the bat on shoulders time and time again taking some half arsed swings like Wells and Rios. When hes actually aggressive at the plate, hes fine, but for the most part, hes not. I hope that makes some sense because its late and I'm tired lol
                          http://www.blackbetsy.com/movies/joeatbat.mpg

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I have no problems with Lyle Overbay right now. Sure he's not quite the same player this season as he was in 2006, but he's alot closer than he was in 207 and 2008. I've always been an Overbay fan and hoped he;d be able to turn things around.
                            Like Maple Syrup, Canada's evil oozes over the United States.

                            Comment

                            Ad Widget

                            Collapse
                            Working...
                            X