No announcement yet.

Jays Outlook for 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, if we get Frank Thomas 2.0 at a contract that makes a lot more sense than Frank Thomas 1.0 then we can talk. And I don't think that 2.0 will be as much of a slow starter as 1.0. Well, I guess I'm really saying that I hope he won't.

If the choices are Russel Branyan and Carlos Delgado, I would be willing to pay a little more for Carlos, assuming that his hip checks out after this most recent injury and that he is willing to take a 1-year contract (no vesting or player options either, only team options). If I see that him getting offers for 3 years $15 million, then drop it like it's hot. But if the market is showing that there isn't much demand for aging sluggers, then throw him 1 year $5 million and see if he bites.
    WAMCO!

Comment

The problem for 2010 as I see it right now is that we have enough pieces presently that management might be tempted to sign a couple of FA's and make a run in 2010, delaying the necessary rebuild (or mini-rebuild) we think is necessary. Now matter how much I try envisioning the Jays competing in 2010, I just don't see how that's possible at the present time. Too many things would have to go right, presuming Scutaro resigns and other 2 FA pick-ups pan out. To compete we also must assume the lineup remains basically injury-free (depth in an issue) and Ruiz surpises and another surprise or 2 is forthcoming. It also assumes the young pitching all comes together right away. I just can't see that happening.

The more I think about it, the more I agree with Woodman in that we should conduct a mini-rebuild through 2011. This would serve multiple purposes.

1. Gives ample time to see who are contenders or pretenders in the starting rotation. They need more developmental time at the BL level. I still contend it's mostly pretenders, but 2 maybe 3 pitchers may be effective rotation material.

2. Bring in a new GM by this offseason who can implement his own impression on the team. Obviously this will take a couple years.

3. Hopefully trade Halladay this offseason and bring in a least 2 stud prospects and give them time to develop by start of 2012.

It just makes more sense to me to save some funds, trade Halladay, acquire a fresh GM, and try to compete when the odds are much better in 2012. I just see too many holes to think we can compete next year, even in offseasons acquisitions fall into place.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Maddux's Biggest Fan View Post
        The problem for 2010 as I see it right now is that we have enough pieces presently that management might be tempted to sign a couple of FA's and make a run in 2010, delaying the necessary rebuild (or mini-rebuild) we think is necessary. Now matter how much I try envisioning the Jays competing in 2010, I just don't see how that's possible at the present time. Too many things would have to go right, presuming Scutaro resigns and other 2 FA pick-ups pan out. To compete we also must assume the lineup remains basically injury-free (depth in an issue) and Ruiz surpises and another surprise or 2 is forthcoming. It also assumes the young pitching all comes together right away. I just can't see that happening.

The more I think about it, the more I agree with Woodman in that we should conduct a mini-rebuild through 2011. This would serve multiple purposes.

1. Gives ample time to see who are contenders or pretenders in the starting rotation. They need more developmental time at the BL level. I still contend it's mostly pretenders, but 2 maybe 3 pitchers may be effective rotation material.

2. Bring in a new GM by this offseason who can implement his own impression on the team. Obviously this will take a couple years.

3. Hopefully trade Halladay this offseason and bring in a least 2 stud prospects and give them time to develop by start of 2012.

It just makes more sense to me to save some funds, trade Halladay, acquire a fresh GM, and try to compete when the odds are much better in 2012. I just see too many holes to think we can compete next year, even in offseasons acquisitions fall into place.
        Agreed on all counts.

Also you have to consider that the aging Yankee's cant hold up to much longer, Yes I know they can buy a team. But if the pieces arent there can they really compete? Damon, Matsui, Jeter, Rodriguez, Rivera, Posada... Even the yankees cant replace all that can they? They are all aging and will show more signs over the next couple of years. Who knows, maybe by 2012 the Yankee's dramatically drop off and pay for a decade of trading prospects?

Comment

Originally posted by Woodman19 View Post
          Agreed on all counts.

Also you have to consider that the aging Yankee's cant hold up to much longer, Yes I know they can buy a team. But if the pieces arent there can they really compete? Damon, Matsui, Jeter, Rodriguez, Rivera, Posada... Even the yankees cant replace all that can they? They are all aging and will show more signs over the next couple of years. Who knows, maybe by 2012 the Yankee's dramatically drop off and pay for a decade of trading prospects?
          Not too much of a concern there because they aren't all being replaced on the same year. The Yankees can bring in players as the go. But yeah, besides a few younger players much of the nucleus is getting older. Perhaps in a couple years they won't be as formidable if their replacements arn't up to task.

Comment

Not too much of a concern there because they aren't all being replaced on the same year. The Yankees can bring in players as the go. But yeah, besides a few younger players much of the nucleus is getting older. Perhaps in a couple years they won't be as formidable if their replacements arn't up to task.
            Do you know what kind of players will be Free Agents in the comming years?

I have to imagine New York going hard after Carl Crawford this offseason as he could anchor a new outfield for them going forward.

Comment

Originally posted by Woodman19 View Post
              Do you know what kind of players will be Free Agents in the comming years?

I have to imagine New York going hard after Carl Crawford this offseason as he could anchor a new outfield for them going forward.
              Yup, I think the Yankees will be all over that. Of course, Damon is set to become a free agent as well, and a Crawford signing would basically mean the end for him - unless Damon was retained at DH.

Comment

Yup, I think the Yankees will be all over that. Of course, Damon is set to become a free agent as well, and a Crawford signing would basically mean the end for him - unless Damon was retained at DH.
                both Mastui and Damon are free agents, I dont think that Melky Cabrera is really a long term option in Center. I would bet they put Crawford in CF then move Cabrera into LF, probably look for a B type Right Fielder or possibly go with Austin Jackson (although I think he needs another year)

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X