Who do you want as a new GM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who do you want as a new GM?

Assuming JP is fired (and I think he will be)

Who do you want as our new GM and be realistic about it. Not GM's who will be under contract.

Personally I would like to get Paul Depodesta. When he was with the Dodgers he made good moves and was much more efficient with his money then JP has been. He let JD Drew and Adrian Beltre walk for money and he was right on both counts. He also was a part of the Oakland A's front office with Billy Bean making those competetive A's clubs of the late 90's and has been recognized by several publications including Baseball Prospectus and Fortune Magazine, which named him as one of the Top 10 innovators under the age of 40. He is currently the Special Assistant for Baseball operations with the Padres.

Tony LaCava would be my second choice as he has a keen eye for young players and is already within the organization.

Originally posted by Woodman19 View Post
    Assuming JP is fired (and I think he will be)

Who do you want as our new GM and be realistic about it. Not GM's who will be under contract.

Personally I would like to get Paul Depodesta. When he was with the Dodgers he made good moves and was much more efficient with his money then JP has been. He let JD Drew and Adrian Beltre walk for money and he was right on both counts. He also was a part of the Oakland A's front office with Billy Bean making those competetive A's clubs of the late 90's and has been recognized by several publications including Baseball Prospectus and Fortune Magazine, which named him as one of the Top 10 innovators under the age of 40. He is currently the Special Assistant for Baseball operations with the Padres.

Tony LaCava would be my second choice as he has a keen eye for young players and is already within the organization.
    That really is a good question. It's hard to have an opinion about this when you dont know who's really out there. Those two choices sound good to me right now.

Comment

oh, I also forgot to add one person to that list of good GM candidates.

Me!

I would rule that team with an iron fist and I am always a team first guy!

Also I love my young players and development, things I think we need in a new GM.

Paul Depodesta though would be my ideal choice

Comment

No on Paul D. One of Billy Beane right hand people? I have seen this movie before and it doesn't end well.

He is from the same mold as JP and I know you think JP is good but the win-loss record says otherwise. I would try to get John Hart former Indians and Rangers GM who is a consultant with the Rangers now. Of course I would lob in a call to Gillick to see if he can be talked out of retirement one more time.

Comment

Gillick would be nice, but he wouldn't have a big budget like he had during the World Series era, so who knows what would happen.
          http://www.blackbetsy.com/movies/joeatbat.mpg

Comment

Originally posted by aqib View Post
            No on Paul D. One of Billy Beane right hand people? I have seen this movie before and it doesn't end well.

He is from the same mold as JP and I know you think JP is good but the win-loss record says otherwise. I would try to get John Hart former Indians and Rangers GM who is a consultant with the Rangers now. Of course I would lob in a call to Gillick to see if he can be talked out of retirement one more time.
            Its not the system thats wrong, its the man running it. look at the moves made by Paul Depodesta with the dodgers to get a good understanding of how effective he is vs JP. I think its a good fit because of the availibility as well as the fact our organization is already built in that mannor, so its not like we would experience the house cleaning like we did when JP got here and sent players like Felipe Lopez packing.

Comment

Originally posted by Woodman19 View Post
              Its not the system thats wrong, its the man running it. look at the moves made by Paul Depodesta with the dodgers to get a good understanding of how effective he is vs JP. I think its a good fit because of the availibility as well as the fact our organization is already built in that mannor, so its not like we would experience the house cleaning like we did when JP got here and sent players like Felipe Lopez packing.
              Yeah he got fired becuase he went 71-91 in his second season. The Moneyball system works fine in the AL West, not when you got to go up against the Yanks and Red Sox 38 times a year.

Comment

Yeah he got fired becuase he went 71-91 in his second season. The Moneyball system works fine in the AL West, not when you got to go up against the Yanks and Red Sox 38 times a year.
                Heres a shocker for you, The Red Sox are a moneyball team.

The whole point of Moneyball is to spend your money wisely and not to overpay for things that have traditionally been sought after. Such as speed and size. Moneyball mainly articulates that you should be spending your money on a player regardless of his physical attributes on skill and talent. Things the Jays need to do. Spending mega bucks on typically tradtional players like Wells and Rios is the exact opposite of moneyball principals and what JP did wrong in the first place.

DePodesta's moves on the otherhand were much better. He let Adrian Beltre and JD Drew leave because the money they were asking was to much for him. He moved Paul LoDuca (A fan favorite) to make room for Russel Martin. He aquired Brad Penny who went on to be a great pitcher in his time in LA.

Comment

The Red Sox arent a pure Moneyball team in the sense of the As and if you go back and read the book a lot of the guys that the As were fawning over in the draft never made it. Yeah I know that the book covers the 2002 draft so according to your "logic" we have to wait until 2012 so show that draft wasn't very good.

Comment

The Red Sox arent a pure Moneyball team in the sense of the As and if you go back and read the book a lot of the guys that the As were fawning over in the draft never made it. Yeah I know that the book covers the 2002 draft so according to your "logic" we have to wait until 2012 so show that draft wasn't very good.
                    Hey buddy whats with all the hate?

I try to talk about points and bring up examples and statistics, you respond with anger and name calling. Grow up.

I have read moneyball three times and fully understand what it is all about. Of course your not going to have 100% success at the draft no matter who you are and what your philosphy is. The points behind moneyball are definately more soudn then anything I have heard you mention.

The Sox are in a sense a moneyball team as they have applied the lessons of Sabremetrics basball into its purest form. They have the resources to aquire and hold onto the best players possible while the Oakland A's have to look spefically for Gems.

I await your next name calling anger written post to reply to with an attempt at giving some points and reasons.

Comment

What I got from Moneyball, was that it's basically a strategy to enable a team to compete on a reduced budget. I think the team being a smaller-market with a lower budget than the Red Sox, Yankees etc... is the #1 requirement of a team being a "Moneyball" team. When you can't afford to sign Jason Giambi, you go out and get David Justice, Scott Hatteberg and Jeremy Giambi to replace the production that Ja. Giambi provided. But if you had had the money in the first place, you would have just signed Giambi.

So, I don't think you can call the Red Sox a "Moneyball" team, at least in the way that I believe that term should be applied. The Dodgers neither. Sure, their GM's came from a background of Moneyball, and this definitley leads them to value OPS more than RBI's and maybe look at some more advanced metrics (or hire Bill James to do it...) but you can't say that JD Drew was a good Moneyball signing. The Red Sox '04 team (called "The Idiots" right?) might have been a little "Moneyball", but the Red Sox of today definitley are not.
                      WAMCO!

Comment

Originally posted by Richmond Hill Phoenix View Post
                        What I got from Moneyball, was that it's basically a strategy to enable a team to compete on a reduced budget. I think the team being a smaller-market with a lower budget than the Red Sox, Yankees etc... is the #1 requirement of a team being a "Moneyball" team. When you can't afford to sign Jason Giambi, you go out and get David Justice, Scott Hatteberg and Jeremy Giambi to replace the production that Ja. Giambi provided. But if you had had the money in the first place, you would have just signed Giambi.

So, I don't think you can call the Red Sox a "Moneyball" team, at least in the way that I believe that term should be applied. The Dodgers neither. Sure, their GM's came from a background of Moneyball, and this definitley leads them to value OPS more than RBI's and maybe look at some more advanced metrics (or hire Bill James to do it...) but you can't say that JD Drew was a good Moneyball signing. The Red Sox '04 team (called "The Idiots" right?) might have been a little "Moneyball", but the Red Sox of today definitley are not.
                        Agree'd the term "Moneyball" is liberally referred to anything that has had connection with the A's and what they found and was established in the book. The Red Sox and as well as many other big name clubs simply took lessons learned from the moneyball discoveries (Sabermetrics) and applied them with unlimited budgets.

I would say that because of the book it sprung 2 separate camps. Those who look for value while others neglect it and those who found the statistical and mathamatical truths about baseball and try to apply the maximum efficiency with it which I call Saberfiles. JP's downfall was that he was in the middle of moneyball and saberfile as well as inheriting a team and system littered with more of the "old school" types of players. Vernon Wells, Felipe Lopez and Alex Rios were part of the "mistake's" because he could not apply the rules properly to them. Rios and Wells specifically were traditional "5 tool" players that the market overvalued and he fell victim to this.

I think we need a guy who is either very conservative or very aggresive (by nature I prefere conservative) as we dont have the ability to compete otherwise.
                        Last edited by Woodman19; 08-12-2009, 01:22 PM.

Comment

Personally, I'd welcome Paul DePodesta. Remember that we only got Ricciardi because DePodesta turned us down in the first place. (And he knows better than to pay a closer $10 million a year.)

Comment

Originally posted by gojays View Post
                            Personally, I'd welcome Paul DePodesta. Remember that we only got Ricciardi because DePodesta turned us down in the first place. (And he knows better than to pay a closer $10 million a year.)
                            Definately

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X