Brawl In New York

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brawl In New York

NEW YORK – As soon as Jorge Posada bumped Toronto reliever Jesse Carlson after crossing home plate, almost everyone at Yankee Stadium knew a fight was coming.

Posada and Carlson got into a scrap near the New York dugout, leading to a frenzied, bench-clearing brawl during the Blue Jays' 10-4 victory over the Yankees on Tuesday night.

"It got pretty heavy and pretty thick pretty quickly," New York slugger Alex Rodriguez said. "I think we're all fortunate and glad no one got hurt.''
    http://www.thestar.com/article/696405

What a game last night. Cito said this morning that the Yankee pitchers had hit the Blue Jays 9 times this season.

Originally posted by Armster View Post
    [url]Cito said this morning that the Yankee pitchers had hit the Blue Jays 9 times this season.
    I wonder if he knows that Blue Jays pitchers have hit 9 Yankees!

Comment

Originally posted by ipitch View Post
      I wonder if he knows that Blue Jays pitchers have hit 9 Yankees!
      I wonder how many of those were retaliatory, if any?

Comment

Random things:

Eight Jays hitters have been hit by Yankee pitchers in the previous five games between the two teams.

Among those 8 hitters was Randy Ruiz who got hit in the face by Josh Towers.

In the past 20 games the Jays have been hit 15 times. The next closest team is Boston with 6.

One of those hit batters was Marco Scutaro who took a fastball from Josh Beckett off his head.

Edwin Encarnacion (first hit batter last night) was hit the at-bat immediately following his mammoth home run.

Aaron Hill (second hit batter last night), the Blue Jays all-star, was hit with 2 outs when the game was getting out of hand already.

During the fight, Shelley Duncan was gripping and pulling on the straps of Barajas' chest guard. When Cito tried to get him off, he stopped and looked at Cito, all while still holding firmly to Barajas' straps. Barajas also mentioned someone choking him.

Joyce, the umpire last night said, "As he ran past Carlson, he gave him a little shove with his elbow," Joyce said. "It was very unsportsmanlike. The pitcher wasn't looking for anything like that and he ran past him, didn't say anything and just gave him a shove with his elbow. It was a cheap shot."

3rd base ump Derryl Cousins was hit in the knee by a bottle of soda thrown by some [email protected]@ss in the stands.

So when it's all said and done, thank you Jesse Carlson.

Comment

I say good for the Jays!

They shouldn't have to take this kind of crap from anyone, least of all the Yankee's. If I am Cito, I would have targets on Jeter and Teixera so if they did anything at all to provoke, I would try and knock some of that high price talent for the playoffs.

We have nothing to lose, they on the other hand do.

Comment

You never know how things will turn out. And this whole who hit who the most thing is just so overblown. If Posada just goes on about his business this whole mess never occurs. But, he goes for the mini-cheap shot and its away we go.

Everybody has to defend their manhood.
            Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

sorry old news but i thought id throw my two cents in.

the thing that bothered me the most was that it wasn't a heat of the moment reaction. if he charged, fine, thats a split second decision he made. but he had time to think about what he did and it was pre-meditated. lost all my respect for posada after that.

how awesome was it when cito glared down that yankee reliever (ramirez?). i was laughing, never seen him so imitating.

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Mac View Post
                how awesome was it when cito glared down that yankee reliever (ramirez?). i was laughing, never seen him so imitating.
                Do you mean the guy that was pulling Rod by his straps? I believe that was Duncan.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X