Catching for next year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catching for next year

With Barajas and Chavez both UFAs this coming offseason and Arencibia not expected to be ready to start the season with us (and I guess Jeroloman if you ever had any hopes), what would you do this offseason with our 2 catching vacancies?

Personally, I really like Chavez. One of the best defensive catchers we've had in...lord knows how long (especially since that whole Bengie Molina thing didn't quite work out). In less at bats, his average and on base are above Barajas and for some reason I just love his bunting. I would probably re-sign Chavez and have Kyle Phillips battle for the starting job. Good to get the rookie some time before Arencibia gets here and then hopefully he can be a solid back-up.

Id like to see someone else brought in to split time with Chavez if the youngsters are still not ready. Barajas has been ok but his OBP is quite depressing. Raul has been very good defensively, one of the best we have seen in some time as you say, and I think he could be the primary but I would think you could only expect him to catch 90 games or so. If Barrett recovers from his injury, he could be an option until Arachenia is ready.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X