Jays make staff changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jays make staff changes

TORONTO -- Alex Anthopoulos continued his makeover of the Toronto Blue Jays' front office by luring Dana Brown from the Washington Nationals to serve as a special assistant to the general manager.

The hiring, which is expected to be announced Tuesday, was confirmed Monday by a source requesting anonymity to The Canadian Press.

Brown mentored Anthopoulos while both were with the Montreal Expos at the start of the decade, but remained with the club as it moved to Washington, serving as its director of amateur scouting.

Anthopoulos, a Montreal native, joined the Blue Jays after the 2003 season, climbing up the organization until he was named general manager in place of the fired J.P. Ricciardi a week and a half ago.

Brown was hired as Expos scouting director in 2002 after working eight years in scouting for the Pittsburgh Pirates. Players drafted under his watch include all-star third baseman Ryan Zimmerman, Chad Cordero, Chris Marrero, Ross Detwiler and, this past summer, Stephen Strasburg.

His hiring comes on the heels of a major shuffle of the scouting and player development departments announced Friday.

That shakeup led to the firing of farm director Dick Scott, one of Ricciardi's first hires, Pacific Rim scouting head Rob Ducey and triple-A Las Vegas 51s manager Mike Basso.

It also put player development under the guidance of Tony LaCava, another Ricciardi holdover, who remains assistant general manager but is now the No. 2 man under Anthopoulos.

More changes are expected in the coming weeks as Anthopoulos continues a methodical review of the entire operation.
    I'm luke-warm on adding Brown when I take a look at the organizations he's done his scouting under and how underwhelming their success has been.

As for more moves to be made, I think it's definitely a given. My guess would be that we obviously need a new manager for the LV 51s, but also someone to take over Charlie Wilson's spot and maybe a scout or two, most likely coming in the amateur department under Andrew Tinnish and I would hope someone will replace Rob in the Pacific Rim because I don't think we'll completely close off ties now that we've started to develop some.

Just some random follow-up stuff:

Ducey recently submitted a $350,000 budget to scout Japan. The Jays approved roughly $40,000.
    Anthopoulos explained the Ducey move, stating the Jays are focusing their efforts on Latin America, pro scouting and amateur scouting. As a result, the club will be pulling back from international efforts in Europe and the Pacific Rim until further notice.
    "I've cut up my primary goals from here to the end of the World Series on a week-to-week basis," said Anthopoulos. "I hope each week to have something new to announce, potential changes to be added, potential improvement to be made and so on. To comment from a public standpoint probably wouldn't be fair to the employees that are here and to our players."
    And this just out:
    RYAN MITTLEMAN has been appointed to the position of coordinator, Amateur Scouting. The Providence, Rhode Island native spent the past four seasons as a coordinator in the scouting department. The 32-year old, won silver medals for Team USA on the Under 17 & 18 hockey teams and went on to play collegiate hockey at Boston College, prior to commencing a career with the Blue Jays.

HARRY EINBINDER has been appointed to the position of coordinator, Professional Scouting. The New York, New York native first joined the Blue Jays in the ticket department in 2005, and was recently an assistant in Baseball Research. Einbinder also spent part of 2007 working for the Mexican Baseball Academy.
    Last edited by babaganoosh; 10-13-2009, 12:15 PM.

Comment

And 2 more additions to PD:

The TORONTO BLUE JAYS have named both MEL DIDIER and MEL QUEEN to the positions of Senior Advisor, Player Development.

DIDIER brings 56 years of baseball scouting experience to the organization after seven seasons as Senior Advisor to the General Manager for the Texas Rangers. The Phoenix, Arizona resident began his career in 1954 with Detroit, before going to work for the Milwaukee Brewers. He has also worked for Montreal (1969-75), Los Angeles Dodgers (1976, 1982-96), Seattle (1977-78), Cleveland (1979-80, 2002), Arizona (1997-2000), and Baltimore (2001) prior to joining the Rangers in 2003. Didier held a variety of positions from Senior Assistant to the General Manager with Arizona, to Director of Scouting and Baseball Operations with Montreal and Seattle as well as being a West Coast Scouting Supervisor for Cleveland and a Major League and Special Assignment Ccout for the Dodgers. He played football and baseball at LSU and is a member of the Louisiana Sports Hall of Fame.

QUEEN returned to the organization in 2008 as a Roving Minor League Coach and has 31 years experience as a coach, manager or administrator, primarily in the Blue Jays organization. The Morro Bay, California resident first joined the Blue Jays organization in 1986 and spent the next 17 seasons in various capacities, most notably as the Director of Player Development from 1990-95. He also served as pitching coach from 1996-99. In his first three seasons as pitching coach, a member of the Blue Jays staff captured the Cy Young Award (Hentgen 1996, Clemens 1997 & 1998). Queen played 13 seasons as both a position player and then switched to pitching over his final seven seasons with Cincinnati and California.

Comment

This actually happened a couple days ago, but forgot to post it.

The TORONTO BLUE JAYS announce the appointment of MIKE MORDECAI to the position of Roving Minor League Infield Instructor.

MORDECAI, 41 has been coaching at Houston Academy in Dothan, Alabama for the past four seasons, leading the club to a 61-46 record and being named Small Schools Coach of the Year in 2007. The Birmingham, Alabama native spent 12 seasons in the major leagues with Atlanta (1994-97), Montreal (1998-2002) and Florida (2002-05). The right-handed hitting infielder batted .244 with 24 home runs and 132 RBI, winning World Series with Atlanta in 1995 and Florida in 2003. Mordecai will be assisting each minor league club with the development of the system’s infielders.

Comment

A little more on Mordecai:

Mike Mordecai, hired as the Jays' new roving minor-league instructor, replaces ex-Jay Mike Bordick. Bordick, a good friend of farm director Dick Scott who was let go, decided not to return out of loyalty to Scott

Comment

He was lured away from the Washington Nationals? Isn't that on par with luring someone away from the Titanic?

Beefing up the scouting in Latin America is music to my ears! This is something that should have been done a long time ago. Our ability to scout in Latin America has seemed to be lacking for too much long.
            Like Maple Syrup, Canada's evil oozes over the United States.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X