Bradley to Toronto...for Overbay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bradley to Toronto...for Overbay?

The Chicago Cubs still want to send Milton Bradley to the Blue Jays.

The latest is a three-team deal in which the Blue Jays send first baseman Lyle Overbay to the New York Mets, the Mets send second baseman Luis Castillo to the Cubs and the Jays wind up with Bradley.

The Jays will give a player a second chance, but not a fifth or sixth or whatever chance Bradley is working on, much similar to when they turned down free-agent lefty reliever Steve Howe years ago.

The Cubs have zero interest in adding centre fielder Vernon Wells.
    I wonder, if the Jays didn't want Bradley, why wouldn't they just do Overbay for Castillo straight-up and move Castillo to short and have him lead-off? It seems like these rumours have us wanting Bradley, which might not be too surprising considering Perry Minasian came over from Texas where Bradley tore the cover off the ball.

Why would the Jays trade Overbay and end up getting Bradley...? That trade doesn't make sense. We would be getting rid of $7 million in salary and then take on $20 million with Bradley. We should only take Bradley off the Cubs hands if we could get the Cubs to get rid of one of our big contracts. Unfortunately, Vernon's contract is too much...
    http://www.blackbetsy.com/movies/joeatbat.mpg

Comment

Originally posted by History Of Baseball Fan View Post
      Why would the Jays trade Overbay and end up getting Bradley...? That trade doesn't make sense. We would be getting rid of $7 million in salary and then take on $20 million with Bradley. We should only take Bradley off the Cubs hands if we could get the Cubs to get rid of one of our big contracts. Unfortunately, Vernon's contract is too much...
      Well, If Chicago was willing to pickup most of Bradley's contract (and rumours say they are) then it would make sense.

Lets assume for a moment they pick up all but $5 Million of his remaining contract. We then have a Right Fielder who can hit, we move Lind to the vacant 1B position, then we have LF open for Snyder, all the while either no money lost or even some saved.

In that scenario, if Bradley becomes a problem or not is not as big of a deal, however if they dont pick up the majority of his contract we dont make the deal.

Comment

I'll take Woodman's scenario.

Comment

Originally posted by babaganoosh View Post
          I wonder, if the Jays didn't want Bradley, why wouldn't they just do Overbay for Castillo straight-up and move Castillo to short and have him lead-off? It seems like these rumours have us wanting Bradley, which might not be too surprising considering Perry Minasian came over from Texas where Bradley tore the cover off the ball.
          Do you honestly think Castillo could handle shortstop?

Comment

Originally posted by tearforamariner View Post
            Do you honestly think Castillo could handle shortstop?
            If you're going to struggle at 2B anyways, why not struggle at SS and at least fill a hole. Better than moving a solid Hill over to SS and possibly messing him up too.

Comment

If you're going to struggle at 2B anyways, why not struggle at SS and at least fill a hole. Better than moving a solid Hill over to SS and possibly messing him up too.
              Wouldn't it just make more sense to keep Scutaro and play him at SS? Am I missing something? I mean, Scutaro is more valuable than Castillo at a much better price. And he's a good defender.

Comment

Well with Scutaro expecting a huge payraise, it's hard to say how cheap he'll come. Also, the main reason I wouldn't bring back Scutaro (and I do really like him), is because he's a Type A free agent. The Jays are essentially doubling their scouting team, then add on that we have 3 additional picks in the first 3 rounds from unsigned draftees this year, and with Scutaro and Barajas gone, we get 3 more picks between the first and second round. That's 9 picks in the first 3 rounds for a scouting team that's going to be the largest in the majors. I just think that the 2 picks from losing Scutaro fit into our future plans much better at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by Woodman19 View Post
                  Well, If Chicago was willing to pickup most of Bradley's contract (and rumours say they are) then it would make sense.

Lets assume for a moment they pick up all but $5 Million of his remaining contract. We then have a Right Fielder who can hit, we move Lind to the vacant 1B position, then we have LF open for Snyder, all the while either no money lost or even some saved.

In that scenario, if Bradley becomes a problem or not is not as big of a deal, however if they dont pick up the majority of his contract we dont make the deal.
                  If Bradley becomes a problem? He's been on six teams in the last eight years, why do you suppose that is?
                  They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

Well with Scutaro expecting a huge payraise, it's hard to say how cheap he'll come. Also, the main reason I wouldn't bring back Scutaro (and I do really like him), is because he's a Type A free agent. The Jays are essentially doubling their scouting team, then add on that we have 3 additional picks in the first 3 rounds from unsigned draftees this year, and with Scutaro and Barajas gone, we get 3 more picks between the first and second round. That's 9 picks in the first 3 rounds for a scouting team that's going to be the largest in the majors. I just think that the 2 picks from losing Scutaro fit into our future plans much better at this point.
                    If Boras represents these future players, its safe to say that we aren't getting any of those potential 9 picks...
                    http://www.blackbetsy.com/movies/joeatbat.mpg

Comment

Well some teams avoid Boras clients altogether (Yankees being the obvious exception), so I wouldn't be surprised if for at least the 3 compensation picks from this year's draft that we skip Boras clients and go for the next best players.

Comment

Milton Bradley the new Shea Hillenbrand

Personally, I do not think the Blue Jays should go after Milton Bradley.
                        I think his attitude will become a problem during the season.
                        There are better players out there. I would raid the talent of the Rangers and the Mets. Both clubs are broke and I am sure deals can be had.

Comment

I am sick and tired of hearing about Milton Bradley. The guy would cause nothing but problems in the clubhouse. With the dissention and problems in the clubhouse last year, Bradley's solid, but unspectacular play is not enough for me personally to risk having him around.
                          Like Maple Syrup, Canada's evil oozes over the United States.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X