Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blue Jays re-sign John McDonald

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Blue Jays re-sign John McDonald

    The Toronto Blue Jays announced on Wednesday that shortstop John McDonald would be returning, signed to a two-year contract worth $3 million US.

    McDonald, who earned $3.8 million US on a just completed two-year pact, has been a fan favourite during his four-plus seasons in Toronto because of his spectacular play in the field and all-out hustle.

    Offensive limitations have prevented the New London, Ct., native from gaining full-time employment. The 35-year-old had a .258 batting average in 73 games last season with four home runs and 13 runs batted in.

    Free agent Marco Scutaro played 143 games at shortstop for Toronto in 2009. Indications are the Blue Jays would rather get compensatory draft picks than re-sign him.

    McDonald has also started a number of games at third and second base during his time in Toronto. He also played for Detroit and Cleveland in a 737-game major league career.

    Meanwhile, Toronto made several new additions to its minor-league coaching staff:

    * Dan Rohn takes over as manager of AAA Las Vegas.
    * Former Montreal Expo Luis Rivera is the new manager of AA New Hampshire.
    * Clayton McCullough will manage advanced-A Dunedin.
    * Former Blue Jays catcher Sal Fasano is the manager at low-A Lansing.

    Former Blue Jays pitcher Pete Walker, Anthony Iapoce and Rich Miller join the organization as roving coaches, while Ralph Dickenson (hitting, New Hampshire), John Tamargo Jr. (hitting, Lansing) and Kenny Graham (hitting, Auburn) will work with specific teams.

    Hap Hudson is the new athletic training and rehab co-ordinator, taking over from Mike Frostad, who was promoted to major-league assistant trainer.

    http://www.cbc.ca/sports/baseball/st...d-pursuit.html

  • #2
    Jays sign another SS: Alex Gonzalez

    The TORONTO BLUE JAYS have signed shortstop ALEX GONZALEZ to a one year contract worth $2.75 million dollars for the 2010 season, with a club option for $2.5 million in 2011.

    GONZALEZ, 32, split last season between Cincinnati and Boston, posting a .238 average with eight home runs and 41 RBI. The Cagua, Venezuela native has 11 major league seasons to his credit, accumulating a career high 23 home runs and 79 RBI with the Marlins in 2004 & recording more than 10 home runs on four occasions. The right-handed hitting shortstop has played for Florida (1998-2005), Boston (2006 & 2009) and Cincinnati (2007 & 2009), winning a World Series with the Marlins in 2003. Is a career .247 hitter with 114 home runs and 521 RBI.
    I'd like to chalk this signing up as us trying to get a guy that will be Type B next year and we'll just let him walk and get our pick. I'd be interested to see whether he's a .280 hitter for us next year, or just a .220 type guy.

    *EDIT*
    Awww crap...I thought I was making a new thread again. *sigh* I guess...comment in here about Gonzalez as well...unless a mod can split this post and make it a topic on its own.

    Comment


    • #3
      Coming off a career year in terms of home runs and slugghing, it's great to see him back with the Jays

      Comment


      • #4
        Blue Jays re-sign John McDonald... YAWN

        The Alex Gonzalez signing is a real yawner as well.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by babaganoosh View Post
          Coming off a career year in terms of home runs and slugghing, it's great to see him back with the Jays
          Wrong Alex :noidea

          Comment


          • #6
            Erf? That home run and slugging comment was about J-Mac. I know it's confusing because I completely messed up the thread But yeah.

            Comment


            • #7
              Royce Clayton, David Eckstein, Scutaro (before he got awesome) and now Gonzalez...

              Does anyone else see a pattern here?

              Comment


              • #8
                ^^And Chris Gomez, Mike Bordick, Ray Olmedo, Chris Woodward, and if you wanted to reach a little, Russ Adams (who was projected to be full-time, but didn't really work).

                Another interesting way to look at these signings and us losing Scutaro is this (assuming Scutaro signs a deal larger than Jack Wilson got, which seems likely):

                Trade to another team:
                Marco Scutaro

                Trade to the Jays:
                Alex Gonzalez
                John McDonald
                1 Conditional Draft Pick (dependent on the team, could be as high as 1st rounder)
                1 Sandwich Pick (greater value than 2nd round)
                Cash

                I think if you look at it like that, signing Gonzo and Mac and in the process letting Marco go was a no brainer.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by babaganoosh View Post
                  ^^And Chris Gomez, Mike Bordick, Ray Olmedo, Chris Woodward, and if you wanted to reach a little, Russ Adams (who was projected to be full-time, but didn't really work).

                  Another interesting way to look at these signings and us losing Scutaro is this (assuming Scutaro signs a deal larger than Jack Wilson got, which seems likely):

                  Trade to another team:
                  Marco Scutaro

                  Trade to the Jays:
                  Alex Gonzalez
                  John McDonald
                  1 Conditional Draft Pick (dependent on the team, could be as high as 1st rounder)
                  1 Sandwich Pick (greater value than 2nd round)
                  Cash

                  I think if you look at it like that, signing Gonzo and Mac and in the process letting Marco go was a no brainer.
                  I guess...I'm just tired of not having a real shortstop for more than a year. It's getting old. These one-year contracts do not work in general.

                  Here's a fun fact: Clayton, Eckstein, Scutaro and Gonzalez have been in the majors for a combined 45 seasons. The number of years in which any of them posted a OPS+ over 100 (league average) is...

                  Two. One was Scutaro (last year) and the other was Eckstein's incredible 101 back in '02.

                  I swear we will sign Neifi Perez next year.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by gojays View Post
                    I guess...I'm just tired of not having a real shortstop for more than a year. It's getting old. These one-year contracts do not work in general.

                    Here's a fun fact: Clayton, Eckstein, Scutaro and Gonzalez have been in the majors for a combined 45 seasons. The number of years in which any of them posted a OPS+ over 100 (league average) is...

                    Two. One was Scutaro (last year) and the other was Eckstein's incredible 101 back in '02.

                    I swear we will sign Neifi Perez next year.
                    let's not forget Mike Bordick in 2003. That was a real classic.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by gojays View Post
                      I guess...I'm just tired of not having a real shortstop for more than a year.
                      And who exactly do you have in mind for next season? Which of the abundance of franchise shortstops available right now do you suggest we aquire?

                      Facts are, there's not alot out there right now that fits what the Blue Jays need in order to be successful. A team cannot be successful without a top flight shortstop. This is a team buliding for the future. I'm happy with competent stopgaps at short until the right player can be drafted, or acquired through trade (part of a Roy Halladay deal perhaps) and properly groomed to be the shortstop of the future.
                      Like Maple Syrup, Canada's evil oozes over the United States.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Chris from NY View Post
                        A team cannot be successful without a top flight shortstop.
                        The Boston Red Sox would like to respectfully disagree.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by babaganoosh View Post
                          The Boston Red Sox would like to respectfully disagree.
                          Good point, but they've been going about it the wrong way. They've yet to find they're answer at short and I'm sure they'll start to tire of their methods soon enough.
                          Like Maple Syrup, Canada's evil oozes over the United States.

                          Comment

                          Ad Widget

                          Collapse
                          Working...
                          X