Jamie Campbell out as Sportsnet Play-by-Play

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jamie Campbell out as Sportsnet Play-by-Play

He will be replaced by former color man Buck Martinez, who will take on the challenge of being the play-by-play guy for the first time in his career.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/200...martinez_jays/

I can't wipe the smile off my face

Jamie Campbell is finally gone!

Comment

i could hardly contain myself either.

although it will be interesting to see how Martinez handles the play-by-play duties. I loved him as an analyst while Shulman did the PbP but I'm sure he'll do fine.

Comment

Jamie Campbell has shown a lot of improvement over these past 5 years. It's a shame to see him go, because he had potential to be really good. How are you going to build tradition if you have such a high turnover of commentators?

Comment

Unfortunately, Campbell may have been building a negative tradition and the majority of people are happy he's gone. He's a good guy it seems, a solid baseball person, but he's just a horrible commentator IMO.

Comment

I can't say I shared the same intense dislike for Campbell as most everyone else. He wasn't great, but I didn't find him awful. I loved the combination of Schulman and Martinez, so I'm curious to see Buck take on play by play.
            Like Maple Syrup, Canada's evil oozes over the United States.

Comment

As a Jays fan since I was a little kid, I've listened to all broadcasters from Tom and Jerry, Don Chevrier, Tommy Hutton, Tony Kubek, Jim Hughson, Buck Martinez, Rod Black, to Jamie Campbell et al. Although Campbell may not have been perfect, he was far from the worst we've had. BY FAR the worst is Black. It got to the point last season where I'd turn off the tv. Terrible voice for baseball, knows little in terms of the Jays or their history, and can't judge a home run ball to save his life. (Saw two fly balls die short of the track in the same inning last year. He had set them up as if they were gone. Terrible.) Thanks Jamie Campbell for at least providing a solid effort. You will be missed. Now if we could just get Black and Jesse Barfield to drop off the face of the earth......

Comment

I never though Campbell was that bad. His knowledge of the game was alright, although my knowledge is extremely high so I don't need anybody else explaining to me what's going on. More than anything, he was just kinda dull - no pizazz and his voice was monotone. He really ever got fired up about anything and his on-air personally was the equivalent of dry toast. I would prefer announcers like the Diamondbacks have - Darren Sutton (son of Don Sutton) and Mark Grace are not only extremely knowledgeable, especially with the less obvious intricacies of the game, but are very funny and work well together as a tandem.

If anything, I dislike Pat Tabler because he always feels the need to explain obvious point in the game every telecast. Tabler/Mulliniks & Campbell together made for a great couch hypnotherapy session
                Last edited by Greg Maddux's Biggest Fan; 12-16-2009, 05:02 PM.

Comment

I've gotta agree with JaysExpos. They'll never build tradition with this turnover. That being said, I'm not sure I would want a tradition built on Jamie Campbell...

He wasn't bad, but he made his fair share of mistakes on LONG FLY BALLS TO THE TRACK AND... caught for an easy out. But I liked his home run calls for the most part, he seemed to be genuinely excited about it which was nice. His baseball knowledge was pretty slim, but that's not really the duty of the play-by-play guy... When Darren Fletcher was with him I found it to be really entertaining. You didn't have the colour guy in your ear every 2 seconds like you do when Rance is on the broadcast.

Someone said that this move is part of the never-ending flashback Fridays that seem to be happening under Beeston, and I tend to agree. I want them to get someone good and young, and let him develop into the new voice of the Jays... Kind of like what they should do with the players.
                  WAMCO!

Comment

Rod Black is by far the worst. I didn't hate Campbell as much as others and I didn't find him to be awful, but he was certainly subpar. I always wished that Jim Hughson could do the entire schedule, I was always fond of his style. Although I'm sure CBC would never let him do that with his hockey contractual obligations.

Comment

I could enjoy listening to Hughson talk about paint drying. Rod Black, on the other hand, jsut gets on my nerves. He's no good calling baseball and he's even worse calling football.
                      Like Maple Syrup, Canada's evil oozes over the United States.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris from NY View Post
                        I could enjoy listening to Hughson talk about paint drying. Rod Black, on the other hand, jsut gets on my nerves. He's no good calling baseball and he's even worse calling football.
                        Nicely said, Hughson has a unique voice doesnt he

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X