This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Big_Mac View Post
    I think AA could sell to a team what Overbay could do for an offense.
    And that's without mentioning his not too shabby defensive play.
    Like Maple Syrup, Canada's evil oozes over the United States.

Comment

Ok...so I just jizzed my pants...but here it is:

The Blue Jays and Mariners reached a tentative agreement on a swap that will send Brandon Morrow to the Blue Jays for Brandon League and a prospect, tweets Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports. Presumably it'd take a solid prospect to balance out the deal.

Morrow, 25, has a 3.96 ERA, 9.3 K/9, and 5.7 BB/9 in his 197.6-inning big league career. The hard-throwing righty was drafted fifth overall by the Mariners in '06. He made the team's Opening Day roster in '07 as a reliever, and stayed in that role to open the '08 season due to the Erik Bedard acquisition. He dealt with a shoulder injury that year. In August of '08 he transitioned to starting. Elbow issues surfaced in the spring of '09, but once healthy Morrow was back in the 'pen. He was sidelined by biceps tendinitis shortly thereafter, and it was back to starting in June. Morrow has a pretty serious injury history in his big league career; it's difficult to determine if the frequent role-switching was the cause or the effect. He is not yet arbitration-eligible and is under team control through 2013.

League, 27 in March, has a 4.09 ERA, 6.9 K/9, and 3.2 BB/9 in 202.3 career relief innings. League also throws in the mid-90s, and has a strong career groundball rate of 62%. He's had an up-and-down career, oddly posting his best peripherals in '09 (3.6 K/BB) alongside a 4.58 ERA. League had a shoulder injury that cost him most of '07. He's under team control through 2012.

Comment

Depending on who the prospect is, this has the potential to be a good deal for the Blue Jays. I actually read someone say that Snider is the prospect. I had a good chuckle at that. Arencibia is another one I hear that might make sense.

The thing I`m curious about is whether Morrow will be in the bullpen or the rotation.

Comment

I'm pretty sure he'll be put into the rotation, that's kind of where we need it more. It's always easier to convert a starter to a reliever than the other way around, so I think he should be starting unless he really starts to fail at it. Guys like Janssen moved to the bullpen and had success, Downs did the same, and then you look at the reverse and what Tallet did. He gave us innings in the rotation, but really wasn't all that impressive when you look at the final numbers.

It'll be interesting if it's Arencibia though because D'Armound is probably at least a year away, so we'll need to find another stop-gap next year as well for the starting C spot.

Comment

Originally posted by babaganoosh View Post
            The Blue Jays and Mariners reached a tentative agreement on a swap that will send Brandon Morrow to the Blue Jays for Brandon League and a prospect, tweets Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports. Presumably it'd take a solid prospect to balance out the deal.

Morrow, 25, has a 3.96 ERA, 9.3 K/9, and 5.7 BB/9 in his 197.6-inning big league career. The hard-throwing righty was drafted fifth overall by the Mariners in '06. He made the team's Opening Day roster in '07 as a reliever, and stayed in that role to open the '08 season due to the Erik Bedard acquisition. He dealt with a shoulder injury that year. In August of '08 he transitioned to starting. Elbow issues surfaced in the spring of '09, but once healthy Morrow was back in the 'pen. He was sidelined by biceps tendinitis shortly thereafter, and it was back to starting in June. Morrow has a pretty serious injury history in his big league career; it's difficult to determine if the frequent role-switching was the cause or the effect. He is not yet arbitration-eligible and is under team control through 2013.

League, 27 in March, has a 4.09 ERA, 6.9 K/9, and 3.2 BB/9 in 202.3 career relief innings. League also throws in the mid-90s, and has a strong career groundball rate of 62%. He's had an up-and-down career, oddly posting his best peripherals in '09 (3.6 K/BB) alongside a 4.58 ERA. League had a shoulder injury that cost him most of '07. He's under team control through 2012.
            I look at this as kind of a neutral deal (favouring the Jays since Morrow is potential starter material vs. relief). Both pitchers have TREMENDOUS stuff, yet both pitchers have the exact same problems: they can't locate. They've become more hittable than they should be given the velocity they throw at; both guys have hit 100 MPH in the past.

Im actually very disappointed that League hasn't taken the next step to elitism. I always thought he had dominating stuff; I mean how many guys have that much sink on a mid 90's fastball? But like Morrow, he falls behind in the count to much and only has 1 other secondary pitch, a splitter which is very good when it's on but gets hit hard when it hangs, which is too often. I wouldn't be at all surprised if League still develops into a front line closer - his stuff is that good.

Morrow's throws a little harder more consistently but his fastball is STRAIGHT. He's got tremendous stuff but until he gets ahead in the count more often and can use his secondary stuff more, he's going to get hit. ML hitters can turn around a 98 MPH fastball when it's straight and when they know its coming. There's no question he has #1 starter stuff though if he pulls it together. But since the Mariners are giving up on him at age 25, and as a starter vs. a reliever in League, makes me think they've lost confidence that he can ever harness his stuff.

A change of scenery may help both guys.
            Last edited by Greg Maddux's Biggest Fan; 12-22-2009, 11:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Maddux's Biggest Fan View Post
              A change of scenery may help both guys.
              That my thought on this deal. Both guys seem to have a lot of raw talent that they can't quite harness. I think some people are starting to run out of patience with Brandon League though. It's tough at this point to say whether or not he'll become the pitcher everyone thought he would, and this seems to work out for everyone.

Comment

It'll be interesting if it's Arencibia though because D'Armound is probably at least a year away, so we'll need to find another stop-gap next year as well for the starting C spot.
                I've also heard either Purcey or Zach Stewart. I'm a little less willing to give up Stewart over Purcey, but I also haven't quite given up on him the way some people seem to have. I'd still rather see him go than Arecibia or Stewart.

Comment

I wouldn't like Stewart going because he's really the gem we pulled out of Cinci. I'm lukewarm on trading Arencibia, but if that's what it takes, I'd be willing to part with him.

There's talks about the 2 teams discussing Brian Jeroloman, but nobody knows if those talks actually led to this current deal or not. I would not mind AT ALL if Jeroloman goes. Great defense, can't hit, and will probably end up being a Kevin Cash at best. People are really high on him for some reason...maybe I'm not seeing something.

Comment

I like the trade. I have given up on League, he is very frustrating to watch here. Hopefully Seattle can turn him around, he does have tremendous stuff. Morrow is a good pitcher and I would be excited to get him.

Comment

And the prospect seems to be...

Jordan Bastian tweets that minor league outfielder Johermyn Chavez will go to the Mariners in the trade.

Comment

That would be a fantastic trade

We trade a reliever who will likely not reach his potential and a prospect that is a longshot to make it for a Pitcher who is highly touted and possibly a top of the rotation starter for us who can start this season.

I love everything Anthopolous is doing thus far.

Comment

Just reading some of the comments in the MLBTradeRumors.com blog, it seems all the Canadian guys think we FLEECED Mariners GM Jac Z. in this trade. I don't share that opinion. League has some nice peripheral statistics which go beyond simple ERA and finished the season strong. I really think he has a chance to break through as either a top setup man or closer. His stuff is just filthy. Apparently, he bulked up to much a couple of seasons ago on some bad advice and became muscle-bound, which made his mechanics erratic (thats what a couple of people are saying over there anyway).

Morrow also has a chance to bust threw if he can dramatically improve his control, but thats a big if. He's also injury prone and apparently is a diabetic, according to the rumors in MTR.com. This could be why he keeps getting shuffled from starter to bullpen since stamina could be an issue.

I'd have to say I like the deal for the Jays mainly because Morrow has starter potential, but it could go either way. Morrow's future might actually be in the bullpen if injuries, which he has a history of, or stamina become issues. If so, its unclear which guy would be the better reliever, even forgetting the fact the Jays threw in a promising prospect in the deal.

Comment

The thing with League is that when he’s on, he’s on. But when he’s not on the top of his game, he’s not a “bend but don’t break” guy. He completely melts down. If you take a quick look at his game log, you’ll see a bunch of good games and then you’ll find an absolutely horrible one. If you have those horrible games as a closer, you’re going to blow a lot of victories for your team. If he gave up a run here and there all the time, this wouldn’t be the case, but League just has a tendency to lose control of games.

Onto Morrow, I don’t believe his stamina was an issue (though I never really paid attention to him much before). I believe he was just switching back and forth because of the team’s needs. Just looking at last season, he was in between SP and CP in spring training and the team was short a CP, so he closed for them. He went down with an injury and Aardsma stepped in and was lights out. Once he got back, they didn’t need him as a CP anymore, so they didn’t bother even keeping him as a RP and opted to move him back to being a SP. I think with a more defined role with the Jays, he could definitely reach some of that potential.

Also, Dustin McGowan was a diabetic too and I haven’t really seen any stamina issues with him.

Remember too that League is arbitration eligible. He could be gone in 3 years (I know, it’s still a while, but this is a long-term project we’re doing here). Morrow I believe is under team control for 2 more years compared to League. So not only do we have control over Morrow for 2 additional years, we’d also be paying him less for the foreseeable future as well.
                            Last edited by babaganoosh; 12-23-2009, 09:20 AM.

Comment

The thing with League is that when he’s on, he’s on. But when he’s not on the top of his game, he’s not a “bend but don’t break” guy. He completely melts down. If you take a quick look at his game log, you’ll see a bunch of good games and then you’ll find an absolutely horrible one. If you have those horrible games as a closer, you’re going to blow a lot of victories for your team. If he gave up a run here and there all the time, this wouldn’t be the case, but League just has a tendency to lose control of games.

Onto Morrow, I don’t believe his stamina was an issue (though I never really paid attention to him much before). I believe he was just switching back and forth because of the team’s needs. Just looking at last season, he was in between SP and CP in spring training and the team was short a CP, so he closed for them. He went down with an injury and Aardsma stepped in and was lights out. Once he got back, they didn’t need him as a CP anymore, so they didn’t bother even keeping him as a RP and opted to move him back to being a SP. I think with a more defined role with the Jays, he could definitely reach some of that potential.

Also, Dustin McGowan was a diabetic too and I haven’t really seen any stamina issues with him.

Remember too that League is arbitration eligible. He could be gone in 3 years (I know, it’s still a while, but this is a long-term project we’re doing here). Morrow I believe is under team control for 2 more years compared to League. So not only do we have control over Morrow for 2 additional years, we’d also be paying him less for the foreseeable future as well.
                              All good points here, and like I said earlier I like the deal, but I believe its fair for both sides. Again, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see League break out as a elite closer/set-up man as pitching near that thicker coastal air will make his nasty sinker even 'heavier'. I also like the fact that League, with that sinker, doesn't have to throw 96 MPH to be effective; he could lose some velocity down the road and still get hitters out. I've always been, and still am, high on League and sorry to see him go, despite his inconsistencies.

That said there's too much upside with Morrow, who has #1 starter stuff (yes #1) to pass up for 'only' League and a Low Class A guy. However, it concerns me that Morrow has been injured on more than a couple of occasions AND has not shown any consistency with control 3 years running. He also has a propensity to give up the long ball, which is probably due, to a great extent, with having to throw a straight fastball behind in the count. His HR/IP ratio will improve if his walk rate improves though.

At the end of the day, this is a risk worth taking IMO since the price tag is relatively reasonable for a guy with his pure stuff. Rarely do GM's have the chance to acquire pitchers with genuine #1 stuff - even unpolished ones. But the ultimate winner of this trade is FAR from certain. In that regard, I think both teams won in this transaction. Hopefully Morrow can avoid injury and significantly harness his control to make this worthwhile (BIG IF).
                              Last edited by Greg Maddux's Biggest Fan; 12-23-2009, 01:52 PM.

Comment

Back on December 14th, ESPN's Jorge Arangure Jr. tweeted that the Blue Jays signed catcher Ramon Castro to a one-year deal worth nearly $1MM. The move seemed unnecessary, with John Buck and Raul Chavez already in the fold.

Today, The Fan 590's Mike Wilner says the Jays never signed Castro:

It turns out that the power-hitting back-up catcher who everyone reported that the Blue Jays had signed earlier this month is still a free agent. The Jays never did sign him, despite getting involved in negotiations with him. I’m not sure how or why it fell through, or if it even got close enough to reach the point where one can even accurately say that it 'fell through', but it didn’t happen.

So, Castro heads back to the free agent backup catcher pool, where guys like Toby Hall, Jose Molina, and Mike Redmond continue to wait.
                                Good news from my end I liked Chavez over Castro anyways. If Castro came in on a minor league deal, then I wouldn't mind it.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X