Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Blue Jays claimed shortstop Brian Bocock off waivers, according to a tweet from Andrew Baggarly of the San Jose Mercury News. The 24-year-old appeared in 32 games for the 2008 Giants, but hasn't appeared in the majors since.

He doesn't have much of a bat, as his .228/.301/.311 line suggests. The sample size is limited, but UZR/150 suggests Bocock's 227 innings at short were above-average.
    Weak weak hitter in every level of the minors. I'm not quite sure what we're expecting to get out of him.

Comment

From Parkes at DJF:

Bocock makes John McDonald look like Honus Wagner

Comment

Originally posted by babaganoosh View Post
        Weak weak hitter in every level of the minors. I'm not quite sure what we're expecting to get out of him.
        Quite simply this move is for a possible replacement of McDonald in a year or two. McDonald is after all 35 years old. One thing'f for certain though: Bocock has zero chance of ever becoming a starting position player on the Jays or any other ML team. But he may be our next good defensive utility man in waiting.

Comment

At least McDonald had some years in the minor hitting like .270 or .300 and I don't believe Bocock has ever hit above .250 in any year at any level. While I haven't seen his defensive play, I would probably still guess that Mac is better than him in that aspect as well. If J-Mac hits .230 in the majors and barely plays, Bocock would probably hit .180 and pretty much never play.

Best case scenario with this signing in my mind is we just got a back-up shortstop for AA. Even guys like Campbell or Emaus are probably closer to the majors and they had down years last year.

Comment

MLB.com's Jordan Bastian writes that the Blue Jays signed pitcher Willie Collazo, infielder Jesus Merchan, and outfielder Jorge Padilla to minor league deals.
            Both Jesus and Jorge have hit at about .300 fairly consistantly over the pass few years in the minors all the way up to AAA, which is a little exciting. The last time I saw the Jays sign one of these guys who hit well all around the minors and were a little bit older and had a good feeling about, Randy Ruiz tore it up in our system. While they don't have the power Ruiz does, maybe one of them can be a lead-off hitter for us down the line (or even this coming season).

Comment

I've gotta think that these are just guys to play at AAA... Not likely any of them make it IMO.
              WAMCO!

Comment

Originally posted by Richmond Hill Phoenix View Post
                I've gotta think that these are just guys to play at AAA... Not likely any of them make it IMO.
                I agree, Anthopolous probably wants to build up the organization at the higher level's to be very competitive to teach the young players coming up how to play in a winning environment when things are on the line.

Comment

Blue Jays Do Not Sign Carlos Delgado

4:05pm: GM Alex Anthopoulos denied the report when contacted by the FAN 590 in Toronto .

3:37pm: Word out of Puerto Rico is that the Blue Jays have signed free agent Carlos Delgado, according to MLB.com's Noah Coslov (via Twitter).

The signing would be a return back to where it all started for Delgado, who holds a place in the top three of basically every significant offensive statistic in team history. Just last week we heard that Delgado wasn't a fit for Toronto, however things can always change.

Story from mlbtraderumors.com

What do you guys think if this was to happen?
                  "I see no reason why a small-market team like the Twins or Expos can't continue to remain competitive, just because it lacks players," Selig said.

Comment

Taking a risk on Delgado means probably giving Overbay away, who despite the hatred, is a solid player. I wouldn't do it.

Comment

I wouldn't do it. Cito was brought back for nostalgic purposes too, and it wasn't exactly a fantastic move. I don't see how adding Delgado fits in with the team's plans for the future.
                      Like Maple Syrup, Canada's evil oozes over the United States.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris from NY View Post
                        I wouldn't do it. Cito was brought back for nostalgic purposes too, and it wasn't exactly a fantastic move. I don't see how adding Delgado fits in with the team's plans for the future.
                        Not to mention the treatment Cito would likely give Delgado.

I love Delgado and I think him returning would be great under certain circumstances. But, I got a feeling Cito would be playing Delgado 100+ games and take ABs away from guys like Snider and Wallace this year. If you add Delgado in the mix this year, you have five guys battling in essentially three spots.

Overbay/Delgado/Lind/Snider/Wallace playing 1B/DH/LF. Not to mention Ruiz and Doporiak potentially needing ABs this year as well.

If they sign Delgado, the only reasonable move is to ship out Overbay. Still, I really don't get the signing, if it all happens.

But as a fan, I would love to see Carlos back in a Jays uni.
                        Last edited by Big_Mac; 01-19-2010, 07:58 PM.

Comment

BTW, it appears the Jays have added OF Jeremy Reed to their collection of 'flamed out former stud prospects'.

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Mac View Post
                            BTW, it appears the Jays have added OF Jeremy Reed to their collection of 'flamed out former stud prospects'.
                            I'm a litle curious to look back and see where exactly this guy went wrong. I'm not really expecting much of a turnaround from him, but I'll be pleseantly surprised if that's what we get.
                            Like Maple Syrup, Canada's evil oozes over the United States.

Comment

It's hard to say where exactly he went wrong, I'd like to know to Chris.

Without looking it up, all I remember is he was big in the Seattle system and was a major piece in a trade to the White Sox (Freddy Garcia?). Then he went to the Mets and had a rough year last year.

Of all of these minor-league signings the Jays have made, I think Reed has the biggest reward-potential, although I'm sure Met fans would disagree.

Comment

Along with Reed, they signed Steven Register as well.

http://tsn.ca/mlb/transactions/

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X