This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Big_Mac View Post
    It's hard to say where exactly he went wrong, I'd like to know to Chris.

Without looking it up, all I remember is he was big in the Seattle system and was a major piece in a trade to the White Sox (Freddy Garcia?). Then he went to the Mets and had a rough year last year.

Of all of these minor-league signings the Jays have made, I think Reed has the biggest reward-potential, although I'm sure Met fans would disagree.
    I remember a few years ago when he was in his first (second?) season in the bigs and the colour guy(...I wanna say Buck was doing it then) was talking about his sky high potential.

Comment

I think that signing Delgado makes perfect short-term sense, in that they need someone to put butts in seats, and Delgado would certainly do that as he chases down 500 homers. However, according to a scout who has seen Carlos in Puerto Rico, he has no range at first anymore, which means he would be DH'ing. This means that Lind would have to be moved, and 1B or LF are not out of the question. I have the distinct impression the team wants to get rid of Overbay regardless.

Comment

Delgado won't make a difference in attendance if the team keeps losing. I don't think AA is hellbent to dump Overbay off at any cost like some fans do.

Comment

Originally posted by Defense Counts! View Post
          I think that signing Delgado makes perfect short-term sense, in that they need someone to put butts in seats, and Delgado would certainly do that as he chases down 500 homers.
          I thought that was part of the idea behind bringing Cito in again as manager; It was a publicity stunt. It seemed to work at first, but now it's gone sour. I don't see Blue Jays fans being fooled into coming to games tio watch a player who is well past the prime we remember him in. I'd like to believe that fans would be more willing to come out to see the likes of Lind, Hill, Wallace and so on.

As for Overbay, I've always supported him and always will. I believe he can still contribute quite nicely on a major league team. Having said that, I am in favour of trading him just as long as the trade isn't simply a move that dumps him and gets little in return. I don't think he's a 'must trade' guy and AA won't move him unless he gets a deal to his liking.
          Like Maple Syrup, Canada's evil oozes over the United States.

Comment

Ya, I'm with you Chris. I think Overbay is undervalued by many fans and that he has been misused for the most part in his time here. He's an on-base guy but he's usually batting in the lower half of the order. It just doesn't work because he draws walks when their are runners on base that need to be driven in. I also think he's felt a bit of that pressure and that is why his AVG has been down in past seasons; because he has been batting out of his element and pressuring himself into trying to deliver basehits.

I would really like to see Overbay bat second this year if he stays. I always wanted to see that happen.

Comment

I thought that was part of the idea behind bringing Cito in again as manager; It was a publicity stunt
              But fans don't come to games to see a manager.

Delgado won't make a difference in attendance if the team keeps losing.
              And the team will keep losing for at least a couple of years yet. Having a guy going for 500 HR will keep some casual fans interested. While Delgado may no longer be able to play the field, he might still be good with the bat. Wasn't an oft-injured guy named Paul Molitor about Delgado's age when he came to Toronto? I think it's far too soon to write him off.

Having said that, it's probably a moot point as I suspect he's not coming anyway.

Comment

To stray away from the Delgado talk for a sec:

The Phillies have claimed infielder Brian Bocock off waivers from the Blue Jays, tweets MLB.com's Todd Zolecki. Toronto just claimed Bocock off waivers from the Giants earlier this month.

The 24-year-old appeared in 32 games for the Giants back in 2008, but he hasn't seen the show since. The timing is pretty interesting, because Philadelphia has a higher waiver priority than Toronto for NL players, so they had first crack at claiming Bocock earlier this month.
                I'm glad he's gone. When we first claimed him, I mentioned that I didn't see where he fits in at all even in our minor league system, so I'm just glad he won't take any ABs from our other prospects.

Comment

And the team will keep losing for at least a couple of years yet. Having a guy going for 500 HR will keep some casual fans interested. While Delgado may no longer be able to play the field, he might still be good with the bat. Wasn't an oft-injured guy named Paul Molitor about Delgado's age when he came to Toronto? I think it's far too soon to write him off.

Having said that, it's probably a moot point as I suspect he's not coming anyway.
                  Seriously? I doubt there's any casual fans left, I know I have no interest in watching somebody over the hill chase a milestone just so he can retire instead of a up and coming prospect.
                  Molitor was 36, had played over 150 games in 4 of the previous 5 seasons. Hardly "oft-injured". Delgado will be 38, and while he isn't "oft-injured" he is coming off of hip surgery (fairly major I think).
                  Our '93 team was looking to repeat as WORLD CHAMPIONS. The 2010 model is looking to rebuild. Delgado probably can't play first anymore meaning he's going to be taking AB's away from one of the kids. Delgado coming back makes zero sense.

Comment

Originally posted by vilifyingforce View Post
                    Seriously? I doubt there's any casual fans left, I know I have no interest in watching somebody over the hill chase a milestone just so he can retire instead of a up and coming prospect.
                    Molitor was 36, had played over 150 games in 4 of the previous 5 seasons. Hardly "oft-injured". Delgado will be 38, and while he isn't "oft-injured" he is coming off of hip surgery (fairly major I think).
                    Our '93 team was looking to repeat as WORLD CHAMPIONS. The 2010 model is looking to rebuild. Delgado probably can't play first anymore meaning he's going to be taking AB's away from one of the kids. Delgado coming back makes zero sense.
                    My thoughts exactly. I'd love to see Delgado as a Jay again, but not at the expense of Snider and Wallace.

Comment

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/0...ns-angels.html

3rd story down. The story mentions the Mets, Royals, and Orioles have been watching Delgado play. Glad there' no mention of us in there.

Comment

But fans don't come to games to see a manager.
                        No, but I know there was more than a few people who were reminded of the glory years when Cito was rehired. A lot of people didn't understand why he didn't manage again after his first stint with the Blue Jays, and there was certainly optimism surrounding the start of his second tenure which seemed to be a result of past glory.

On another note, I'm pretty sure Lou Piniella's antics have caused more fans to show up at one point or another.
                        Like Maple Syrup, Canada's evil oozes over the United States.

Comment

The Jays have talked to Damon's agent, according to Jordan Bastian of MLB.com (via Twitter). In a follow up tweet, he quotes GM Alex Anthopoulos who told fans at a Q&A session, "I don't want to get your hopes up." However, Bastian writes that the club has had internal discussions about the veteran slugger, as they have a need at the leadoff spot.
                          What do people think of Damon being our corner OF/lead-off guy?

Comment

365 obp, ops over 800. we could do worse that's for sure. I still don't want to see at bats taken away from our kids though.

Comment

I wouldn't mind it at all actually. Damon would certainly be an improvement over Bautista in the leadoff spot; he been quite impressive and consistent throughout his career as a leadoff man. Defense is a major question mark but you take what you can get I guess.

I don't see how Damon would take away ABs from some of the youngsters, which is a good thing. The OF would align Damon-Wells-Snider with Lind at DH. I guess Wallace could run into some trouble if he has to split with Overbay when he's ready, but I still think the Jays will trade Overbay this offseason; if not whenever Wallace is ready to play.

However, I only give this about a 10% chance of happening. Some team will pony up cash for Damon, I'm sure.

Comment

I don't care how bad the OF defence is as long as Bautista doesn't lead off.
                                WAMCO!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X