Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I`d be more interested in having Damon than having Delgado. Damon doesn`t really block anyone else`s at bats, and a lead off hitter would be nice. If Overbay were to go, It would be nice to have another left handed bat to go along with Lind and Snider.
    Like Maple Syrup, Canada's evil oozes over the United States.

Comment

I don't know if the Damon talk is heating up or not, but I though I would pass on a couple links, although I am sure some of you have already come across them.

Jordan Bastian penned this piece over at MLB.com discussing a possible Damon move to Toronto. It is filled with quotes and discusses potential scenarios if Damon was to come:
      http://toronto.bluejays.mlb.com/news...=.jsp&c_id=tor

Over at DJF, Parkes discusses the moves while slamming Cito pretty good. NSFW language.
      http://www.drunkjaysfans.com/2010/01...franchise.html

Although, he might not come in the price range we would hope. According to reports, he turned down a 1 year, 6 million dollar contract from the Yanks before they signed Winn. That would probably be the offer from the Jays ends of things so it is possible there are bigger bucks on the table somewhere. Stay tuned.

Comment

There's a thread in CE on looming labour unrest. In the article posted there, Jayson Stark of ESPN states that the Jays are reported to be one of a half-dozen teams receiving $35-$40 million in revenue sharing.

Have I been in a cave or something? Is this common knowledge??
        WAMCO!

Comment

Originally posted by babaganoosh View Post
          What do people think of Damon being our corner OF/lead-off guy?
          Im not for it because the Jays won't be competing for the next couple of years so spending the money on an older player like Damon makes no sense. He can only really play LF so either he DH's or replaces Lind, which isn't happening. If Damon DH's, then he takes AB's away from Wallace or Dopirak/Ruiz. Damon would help insofar as we have a desperate need for a leadoff hitter, but I just wouldn't sign him unless we were closer to legitimately competing for the division and/or wildcard. He would actually be a good fit in that instance, but not now when we need roster spots open for player development.

Damon's a better fit for a team like the Nationals who could use a leadoff/#2 hitter. Since they lost Nick Johnson to Free Agency they could move Josh Willingham to 1B. But I guess they decided to move Dunn to 1B when they traded Johnson, so signing Damon means 3 dead weight defensive players in the lineup. Poor Damon can't seem to find a team which has a fit for him.
          Last edited by Greg Maddux's Biggest Fan; 01-30-2010, 12:16 PM.

Comment

I'm pretty sure that I want Damon here.

First off, I would be able to deal with the terrible OF defense that would result, since it would only be for one year. Secondly, I like him a whole lot better than Bautista at the lead-off spot (which is where Cito has said that Bautista will play every day). And thirdly and most importantly, I think we need a guy like Damon.

Sure, I'd love to see Ruiz, Doripak and the rest of the AAAA players get their hacks. But I'm just not optimistic that any of them will show us anything special over a large sample size. So I'm not concerned about Damon 'blocking' those guys. And having a guy like Damon might provide some leadership/veteran tutelage/voodoo-team-chemistry to this young squad.

And c'mon, what's $7 million to Rogers?
            WAMCO!

Comment

Originally posted by Richmond Hill Phoenix View Post
              I'm pretty sure that I want Damon here.

First off, I would be able to deal with the terrible OF defense that would result, since it would only be for one year. Secondly, I like him a whole lot better than Bautista at the lead-off spot (which is where Cito has said that Bautista will play every day). And thirdly and most importantly, I think we need a guy like Damon.

Sure, I'd love to see Ruiz, Doripak and the rest of the AAAA players get their hacks. But I'm just not optimistic that any of them will show us anything special over a large sample size. So I'm not concerned about Damon 'blocking' those guys. And having a guy like Damon might provide some leadership/veteran tutelage/voodoo-team-chemistry to this young squad.

And c'mon, what's $7 million to Rogers?
              Agree to disagree here. I like Damon and think he would make a really good piece if we were closer to contending, but this isn't the case. I'm not sure if Dopirak is a legitimate ML hitter, but we should take this year while we our out of contention to find out. Same thing with Wallace and Snider. Giving Damon 550 AB's means some or all of the aforementioned won't have the chance to fully audition for a full time spot. What point is giving Damon 1 year/$7M when we're finishing no better than third in the division, and possibly last. Should we in position to battle for the wildcard I would say yes.

That said seeing Bautista lead off scares me. But Damon filling in for 1 or 2 years won't make us make the playoffs.

Comment

Won't get us in the playoffs, but, let's look at the lineup. I'm too lazy to list by priority depth btw so don't get bothered by Wallace being at the end of a list....

Lf-Damon/Snider/Lind/Ruiz/Reed/Gathright
                Cf-Wells/Reed/Gathright
                Rf-Snider/Bautista/Reed/Gathright

1b-Overbay/Damon/Lind/Ruiz/Dopirak/Wallace
                2b-Hill
                3b-Bautista/Encarnacion
                SS-Gonzalez/MacDonald
                DH-Lind
                Having Damon in LF would work for me with Bautista/Snider in RF. We only have Lind/Snider for outfield prospects. Reed/Gathright can fight for time as 4th OF. I'd like to see Overbay platoon with somebody who mashes RHP. Damon as DH makes no sense to me though. Maybe Lind/Overbay platoon at 1b with Lind taking the rest of his starts at DH? Gathright has a better OBP against lefties(career .340).....I wish we had a more sabermetric Manager....Gaston isn't going to platoon anybody....

Comment

I am in the minority here but I would like to see us dump Lyle Overpaid and pick up Delgado. Every team needs a veteran leader in the clubhouse. He had 38 HRs in 2008, if he can bounce back he can take a lot of pressure off the kids.

Comment

Originally posted by aqib View Post
                    I am in the minority here but I would like to see us dump Lyle Overpaid and pick up Delgado. Every team needs a veteran leader in the clubhouse. He had 38 HRs in 2008, if he can bounce back he can take a lot of pressure off the kids.
                    Overbay's defence at first would far outweigh Delgado's. I don't see Delgado as being anything more than a DH at this point, and with Lind already there, there's just not enough room for Carlos.
                    Like Maple Syrup, Canada's evil oozes over the United States.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris from NY View Post
                      Overbay's defence at first would far outweigh Delgado's. I don't see Delgado as being anything more than a DH at this point, and with Lind already there, there's just not enough room for Carlos.
                      Not only that, but, Overbay isn't overpaid. He's a solid 1b who just happened ot have a higher slugging% then Hill. Overbay is being misused batting anywhere's but 2nd in my opinion. It'll never happen, but, I'd like to see:

Damon
                      Overbay
                      Hill
                      Lind
                      Snider
                      Bautista
                      Wells
                      Buck
                      Gonzalez

Comment

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/M...on-buzz-012010
                        http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Kevin Gregg rumoured close to be signing with the Jays(to be a closer). I'm not sure he's an upgrade over Downs or Frasor, but, if somebody wanted one of them and was offering a real good price I'd probably do it and sign Gregg.

Comment

They signed minor league pitcher Bob Zimmermann.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/?p=7481

Comment

Why? Zimmermann is 26 and has never made it past AA. And he sucked in AA. Maybe he sucked in AA(for a deal)? Oh well. Minor league deal for somebody we'll probably never see in the bigs.

Comment

Originally posted by vilifyingforce View Post
                              http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/M...on-buzz-012010
                              http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Kevin Gregg rumoured close to be signing with the Jays(to be a closer). I'm not sure he's an upgrade over Downs or Frasor, but, if somebody wanted one of them and was offering a real good price I'd probably do it and sign Gregg.
                              Any more info on Gregg yet? IMO, I don't know if he would be much of an upgrade over the guys we have but he does have closing experience with Florida and if it's at the right prie, why not?

Comment

Answering my own question, Gregg has signed a deal today with the Jays. It's a one year, $2.75 million dollar contract.

http://tsn.ca/mlb/story/?id=309041

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X