Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's an alright deal I suppose. I think for next year, he probably isn't worth $2.75 guaranteed coming off a bad season and with uncertainty of whether he's even going to close. However, since the Jays hold completely control over both options, I think this ends up being a pretty good deal. If/when Downs & Frasor leave next year and we collect those draft picks, we'll lose all our closer candidates (unless Accardo jumps over a bunch of people), so it's nice to have control over a guy like Gregg.

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Mac View Post
      Any more info on Gregg yet? IMO, I don't know if he would be much of an upgrade over the guys we have but he does have closing experience with Florida and if it's at the right prie, why not?
      He's very probably worse then Downs and Frasor, but, he's coming in pretty cheap and has the potential to leave as a Type A FA if he has a good seaosn.

Comment

Some Jays news:
        ESPN's Jorge Arangure tweets that the Blue Jays, Rockies, and Rangers are the teams most interested in Cuban first baseman Jose Julio Ruiz. Ruiz was recently cleared to sign by the Office of Foreign Asset Control.
        Some indirect Jays news:
        Pat Gillick has returned to the Phillies as a senior advisor to president Dave Montgomery, reports Bob Elliott of The Toronto Sun. Gillick was the team's GM from 2006-2008.
        So I guess he won't be coming back to the Jays...this year :P I'm sure the rumours will start up again next off-season.

And some completely unrelated news:
        Tim tweets that Bobby Kielty is converting to pitching, and that his slider is actually pretty good. The 33-year-old last played in the big leagues back in 2007, when he was still an outfielder of course.

*EDIT*
        Some more Jays news:
        According to a team press release, Toronto has acquired left-hander Dana Eveland from the A's in exchange for a player to be named later or cash considerations. Eveland was DFA'd by Oakland on Monday.

In nine starts for the Athletics last season, the 26-year-old posted a 7.16 ERA with 4.5 K/9 and 5.3 BB/9. However, Eveland had a strong 2008 - posting a 4.34 ERA with 6.3 K/9 and 4.1 BB/9 in 29 starts.
        I'm not that big on Eveland. Before his strong 2008 season, he was pretty piss-poor every year before that at the major league level. I see him starting at AAA with maybe a couple spot starts here and there when needed.
        Last edited by babaganoosh; 02-06-2010, 02:53 PM.

Comment

I'm uneasy about the back of our bullpen. Gregg is pretty shaky, especially closing games. His stuff isn't dominating enough to get easy saves or holds when his control takes a holiday, which is frequently. His fastball is usually in the 92-94 MPH range but its straight, and he nibbles too much because he knows it will get hit. He's also prone to the gopher ball. His breaking pitch is decent but its of little value if he's getting behind in the count. I don't really like this signing, as we are at a considerable disadvantage compared to the Bosox & Yankees if we throw Gregg out there compared to their 8th or 9th inning guy. Same thing goes for Frasor even though he had 1 good year last year. I have a feeling he could easy revert to mediocre form from yesteryear as well. His big key was his mastering of the strike zone and pitching quality strikes on the corners, so Im less worried about him vis a vis to Gregg. Maybe I'm wrong and Gregg could find the control within the zone to step his game up another level like Frasor did last year? Their stats are pretty similar through their first 5 years.

Comment

Originally posted by babaganoosh View Post
            I'm not that big on Eveland. Before his strong 2008 season, he was pretty piss-poor every year before that at the major league level. I see him starting at AAA with maybe a couple spot starts here and there when needed.
            Eveland is out of options. I think he'll start in the bigs and have to play his way off the roster. Might not take long though.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Maddux's Biggest Fan View Post
              I'm uneasy about the back of our bullpen. Gregg is pretty shaky, especially closing games. His stuff isn't dominating enough to get easy saves or holds when his control takes a holiday, which is frequently. His fastball is usually in the 92-94 MPH range but its straight, and he nibbles too much because he knows it will get hit. He's also prone to the gopher ball. His breaking pitch is decent but its of little value if he's getting behind in the count. I don't really like this signing, as we are at a considerable disadvantage compared to the Bosox & Yankees if we throw Gregg out there compared to their 8th or 9th inning guy. Same thing goes for Frasor even though he had 1 good year last year. I have a feeling he could easy revert to mediocre form from yesteryear as well. His big key was his mastering of the strike zone and pitching quality strikes on the corners, so Im less worried about him vis a vis to Gregg. Maybe I'm wrong and Gregg could find the control within the zone to step his game up another level like Frasor did last year? Their stats are pretty similar through their first 5 years.
              Didn't Frasor develop a new pitch last season? I thought that was why he got better. Could be way off. Half asleep. heh

Comment

^^Yeah, he added a change-up.

I believe the person who taught it to him was the same guy that helped Johan Santana master his change-up. Don't quote me on the Santana thing though.

Comment

Originally posted by vilifyingforce View Post
                  Didn't Frasor develop a new pitch last season? I thought that was why he got better. Could be way off. Half asleep. heh
                  I watched quite a few Jays games last year, and I don't recall seeing Frasor use that pitch. If he did, it wasn't frequently. The one thing he did do last year was get away from his curveball, which tended to roll (hang), and stick with his slider, which has way more bite and depth to it. I believe his biggest key to success was A) going with his slider exclusively as his breaking pitch and B) obtaining better control by both walking fewer hitters and throwing more quality strikes within the zone.

Gregg will need more success with B) or it will be more of the same: mediocrity.

Comment

From what I remember, Frasor used his change-up quite a bit, especially as a strike-out pitch. He may have even used it more than his slider from the games I went to. I'm no good with all these baseball statistic websites and stuff, but I believe that there is probably information about what % of the time he throws each pitch?

Comment

http://www.fangraphs.com/pitchfx.asp...906&position=P

FanGraphs is awesome.
                      WAMCO!

Comment

Originally posted by Richmond Hill Phoenix View Post
                        Thanks for the link.

Not quite more than the slider as I had suspected, but still a nice percentage for that change-up.

Comment

Originally posted by Richmond Hill Phoenix View Post
                          Well, the proof is in the pudding I suppose. Frasor used his changeup 14.8% of the time, up from 5.9% in 2007 and 4.1% in 2008. Looks like this higher percentage came at the expense of his fastball, which he threw noticably less. Thankfully, he stopped throwing that damn cement-mixer curveball, which seemed to get hammered on a consistent basis. Still, I would maintain his much improved control was the biggest reason for his improvement, but the changeup contributed no doubt and the diminished use of the curveball.

Comment

Thought I would pass some links along, most from the awesome MLBTR:

The Jays are among two teams (other being the Indians) who have shown interest in Russell Braynan. Dude has power but like Delgado, I really don't see where he fits in, although I don't know where exactly he is position-wise anymore.
                            http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/M...on-buzz-012010

Too many links to post but it appears Damon and the Jays won't happen. The Tigers and Braves seem to be making a hard push for Damon but the interesting part is the offer from Atlanta, which is only a one-year, $4 million dollar contract. Wow, it appears Boras really overestimated the market value for his client when he turned down that deal from the Yankees early on.

According to this guys twitter, the Jays are no longer interested in Carlos Delgado. Now it appears Carlos might be considering retirement.
                            http://twitter.com/nyp_joelsherman/status/8686658452

And finally, a look at the Jays closer situation from a fantasy perspective.
                            http://www.rotoauthority.com/2010/02...blue-jays.html

Comment

Branyan is interesting, not sure I want to give up the defense Overbay brings for the power bump. His ops+ is only 6 points higher then Overbay. As a DH it wouldn't be too bad. Lind is a better statistical fielder then Branyan. We'd still need a leadoff guy. Could let Gathright do it for a bit if Snider doesn't tear the cover off the ball in camp. Otherwise it's Bowtista leading off. Which is what disappoints me about Damon. And thank god no Delgado. Branyan over Delgado easily. In the end I don't want Wallace/Snider or any kid pushing to be blocked this season though.

And that fantasy report....I can't take anything that refers to Richard Griffin with any serious interest. Griffin is a raging moron.

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Mac View Post
                                Thought I would pass some links along, most from the awesome MLBTR:

The Jays are among two teams (other being the Indians) who have shown interest in Russell Braynan. Dude has power but like Delgado, I really don't see where he fits in, although I don't know where exactly he is position-wise anymore.
                                http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/M...on-buzz-012010

Too many links to post but it appears Damon and the Jays won't happen. The Tigers and Braves seem to be making a hard push for Damon but the interesting part is the offer from Atlanta, which is only a one-year, $4 million dollar contract. Wow, it appears Boras really overestimated the market value for his client when he turned down that deal from the Yankees early on.

According to this guys twitter, the Jays are no longer interested in Carlos Delgado. Now it appears Carlos might be considering retirement.
                                http://twitter.com/nyp_joelsherman/status/8686658452

And finally, a look at the Jays closer situation from a fantasy perspective.
                                http://www.rotoauthority.com/2010/02...blue-jays.html
                                I don't really support any FA signing now since we're not winning for at least 2 years. It makes no sense to me whatsoever to plug up the DH/1B spot and take AB's away from one of our young, developing players. Do I like Russell Branyan, especially if I could get him cheap? Sure, but not in a rebuilding year. Keep the roster the way it is, trade Overbay to clear up space at 1B for Wallace/Dopirak or Snider, and just give these guys as many AB's as possible. Let's see how close we are next year before spending out dollars on the FA market.

I sincerely hope AA COMMITS to the development process instead of half-assing the way Riccardi did. Bringing in a FA like Damon or Branyan would be doing just that; it may get us 3 or 4 more wins, but we'll still be 15 games out and they won't be around when (hopefully) were ready to compete again.
                                Last edited by Greg Maddux's Biggest Fan; 02-13-2010, 04:15 PM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X