This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Greg Maddux's Biggest Fan View Post
    I sincerely hope AA COMMITS to the development process instead of half-assing the way Riccardi did. Bringing in a FA like Damon or Branyan would be doing just that; it may get us 3 or 4 more wins, but we'll still be 15 games out and they won't be around when (hopefully) were ready to compete again.
    You have to remember though that these are short-term (i.e. 1 or 2 year signings). If they can continue their play and then leave via FA, we potentially could have just bought a few more high draft picks or we could trade them mid-season for prospects since the other teams would only be on the hook for whatever pro-rated amount is left. I wouldn't throw 4 or 5 year deals at them, but I wouldn't be upset with anything 2 or less.

While Wallace's bat may be major league ready, his future with us lies at 1B and I would like to see him play an entire year at 1B first and only get the call if we have injuries or during September. If they have to come up and deal with the hitting change, I'd want them to not have to worry about learning a new position at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by babaganoosh View Post
      You have to remember though that these are short-term (i.e. 1 or 2 year signings). If they can continue their play and then leave via FA, we potentially could have just bought a few more high draft picks or we could trade them mid-season for prospects since the other teams would only be on the hook for whatever pro-rated amount is left. I wouldn't throw 4 or 5 year deals at them, but I wouldn't be upset with anything 2 or less.

While Wallace's bat may be major league ready, his future with us lies at 1B and I would like to see him play an entire year at 1B first and only get the call if we have injuries or during September. If they have to come up and deal with the hitting change, I'd want them to not have to worry about learning a new position at the same time.
      Call me skeptical. A Damon or Branyan may be only be worth a Type 2 pick, which is the round between the 1st & 2nd in the draft. Thats crap shoot territory up there. Furthermore, I doubt either of those guys fetch anything better than B-level prospect status at the deadline. You must remember: all other 30 teams are aware a Damon or Branyan can fetch a trade deadline prospect or sandwich pick as well yet continue to pass on the guys. Holding onto these assets seems attractive in principle, but the reality is different or many other teams would have made an offer already. These guys aren't going to command high level prospects.

Again, I'd rather throw the young guys out there in a rebuilding year. Maybe Dopirak rakes at the ML level? Maybe Wallace's bat and defense are big league ready and he can challenge for ROY? Maybe Snider's best defensive position is actually 1B, where he gets comfortable and starts raking on offense because of this comfortability? These are all questions we should be finding out this year. We can't know if Dopirak and/or Wallance are on the farm if Branyan occupies first. We can't advance Snider's offensive capabilities if he's shuffled in/out of the lineup with Damon taking most of the DH AB's. Let's see what these guys can do in a year we're losing probably 90 games.

Comment

The only thing that I worry about is having these players develop in a losing atmosphere. I have no real idea how much of an impact this might have, but I suspect that there's at least a little truth to it. I remember reading something on the Leafs, saying that Brian Burke had no choice but to trade Matt Stajan. Even though he could have been a decent 2nd line centre, whoever was writing this article basically said that Stajan had developed under a 'culture of losing' (think about the Leafs over the past 5 years).

Again, I'm not sure where I read this, but it's always sorta stuck with me when talking about "blowing things up" and giving all the young guys a chance to get some big-league experience. What balance do you want to strike? I think that (to go back to hockey references again) the Leafs are on the right track with Phaneuf and Kessel being long-term anchors to a core of youngsters.

MLB's a different ballgame (pardon the pun haha), but I think that having an anchor at the lead-off spot (Damon?) might be helpful.

EDIT: On second thought, comparing a 1-year Damon contract to the 5/6-year contracts to 'anchors' Kessel and Phaneuf was stupid. So do we think we should sign a solid lead-off guy to a multi-year deal? That's clearly off the table this year, but maybe next off-season?
        Last edited by Richmond Hill Phoenix; 02-15-2010, 12:11 PM.
        WAMCO!

Comment

Originally posted by Richmond Hill Phoenix View Post
          The only thing that I worry about is having these players develop in a losing atmosphere. I have no real idea how much of an impact this might have, but I suspect that there's at least a little truth to it. I remember reading something on the Leafs, saying that Brian Burke had no choice but to trade Matt Stajan. Even though he could have been a decent 2nd line centre, whoever was writing this article basically said that Stajan had developed under a 'culture of losing' (think about the Leafs over the past 5 years).

Again, I'm not sure where I read this, but it's always sorta stuck with me when talking about "blowing things up" and giving all the young guys a chance to get some big-league experience. What balance do you want to strike? I think that (to go back to hockey references again) the Leafs are on the right track with Phaneuf and Kessel being long-term anchors to a core of youngsters.

MLB's a different ballgame (pardon the pun haha), but I think that having an anchor at the lead-off spot (Damon?) might be helpful.

EDIT: On second thought, comparing a 1-year Damon contract to the 5/6-year contracts to 'anchors' Kessel and Phaneuf was stupid. So do we think we should sign a solid lead-off guy to a multi-year deal? That's clearly off the table this year, but maybe next off-season?
          Of course, the big difference is the length of the contracts. Kessel and Phaneuf will be around a long time, and have a chance to steer the team well beyond the lean years. Signing a Damon or Branyan will not accomplish much in those regards. An extra 3 or 4 wins (if that) that they provide is not the difference between a culture of winning and a culture of losing. Lets save some extra money and make a run at that new 'big thing' 19 year old Cuban SS prospect (if he is indeed as good as people believe). Perhaps an extra 5M not forked over to Damon can make the difference of overpaying a little to get a future stud:

Adeiny Hechevarria, a 19-year-old Cuban shortstop that ESPN's Jorge Arangure has dubbed "the next big thing out of Cuba," is generating a lot of interest. Six teams recently watched Hechevarria, who could receive an offer in excess of $10MM.

Comment

The Blue Jays re-signed Jonah Bayliss, who hasn't pitched in the majors since 2007, when he was with Pittsburgh.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/...7527#more-7527

Comment

Damon signed with Detroit. Time for Lopez?

Barajas signed with the Mets. We get a sandwich pick (#41) for him.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X