X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vilifyingforce
    replied
    Damon signed with Detroit. Time for Lopez?

Barajas signed with the Mets. We get a sandwich pick (#41) for him.

Leave a comment:

• Cowtipper
    replied
    The Blue Jays re-signed Jonah Bayliss, who hasn't pitched in the majors since 2007, when he was with Pittsburgh.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/...7527#more-7527

Leave a comment:

• Greg Maddux's Biggest Fan
    replied
    Originally posted by Richmond Hill Phoenix View Post
    The only thing that I worry about is having these players develop in a losing atmosphere. I have no real idea how much of an impact this might have, but I suspect that there's at least a little truth to it. I remember reading something on the Leafs, saying that Brian Burke had no choice but to trade Matt Stajan. Even though he could have been a decent 2nd line centre, whoever was writing this article basically said that Stajan had developed under a 'culture of losing' (think about the Leafs over the past 5 years).

Again, I'm not sure where I read this, but it's always sorta stuck with me when talking about "blowing things up" and giving all the young guys a chance to get some big-league experience. What balance do you want to strike? I think that (to go back to hockey references again) the Leafs are on the right track with Phaneuf and Kessel being long-term anchors to a core of youngsters.

MLB's a different ballgame (pardon the pun haha), but I think that having an anchor at the lead-off spot (Damon?) might be helpful.

EDIT: On second thought, comparing a 1-year Damon contract to the 5/6-year contracts to 'anchors' Kessel and Phaneuf was stupid. So do we think we should sign a solid lead-off guy to a multi-year deal? That's clearly off the table this year, but maybe next off-season?
    Of course, the big difference is the length of the contracts. Kessel and Phaneuf will be around a long time, and have a chance to steer the team well beyond the lean years. Signing a Damon or Branyan will not accomplish much in those regards. An extra 3 or 4 wins (if that) that they provide is not the difference between a culture of winning and a culture of losing. Lets save some extra money and make a run at that new 'big thing' 19 year old Cuban SS prospect (if he is indeed as good as people believe). Perhaps an extra 5M not forked over to Damon can make the difference of overpaying a little to get a future stud:

Adeiny Hechevarria, a 19-year-old Cuban shortstop that ESPN's Jorge Arangure has dubbed "the next big thing out of Cuba," is generating a lot of interest. Six teams recently watched Hechevarria, who could receive an offer in excess of $10MM.

Leave a comment:

• Richmond Hill Phoenix
    replied
    The only thing that I worry about is having these players develop in a losing atmosphere. I have no real idea how much of an impact this might have, but I suspect that there's at least a little truth to it. I remember reading something on the Leafs, saying that Brian Burke had no choice but to trade Matt Stajan. Even though he could have been a decent 2nd line centre, whoever was writing this article basically said that Stajan had developed under a 'culture of losing' (think about the Leafs over the past 5 years).

Again, I'm not sure where I read this, but it's always sorta stuck with me when talking about "blowing things up" and giving all the young guys a chance to get some big-league experience. What balance do you want to strike? I think that (to go back to hockey references again) the Leafs are on the right track with Phaneuf and Kessel being long-term anchors to a core of youngsters.

MLB's a different ballgame (pardon the pun haha), but I think that having an anchor at the lead-off spot (Damon?) might be helpful.

EDIT: On second thought, comparing a 1-year Damon contract to the 5/6-year contracts to 'anchors' Kessel and Phaneuf was stupid. So do we think we should sign a solid lead-off guy to a multi-year deal? That's clearly off the table this year, but maybe next off-season?
    Last edited by Richmond Hill Phoenix; 02-15-2010, 01:11 PM.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by babaganoosh View Post
    You have to remember though that these are short-term (i.e. 1 or 2 year signings). If they can continue their play and then leave via FA, we potentially could have just bought a few more high draft picks or we could trade them mid-season for prospects since the other teams would only be on the hook for whatever pro-rated amount is left. I wouldn't throw 4 or 5 year deals at them, but I wouldn't be upset with anything 2 or less.

While Wallace's bat may be major league ready, his future with us lies at 1B and I would like to see him play an entire year at 1B first and only get the call if we have injuries or during September. If they have to come up and deal with the hitting change, I'd want them to not have to worry about learning a new position at the same time.
    Call me skeptical. A Damon or Branyan may be only be worth a Type 2 pick, which is the round between the 1st & 2nd in the draft. Thats crap shoot territory up there. Furthermore, I doubt either of those guys fetch anything better than B-level prospect status at the deadline. You must remember: all other 30 teams are aware a Damon or Branyan can fetch a trade deadline prospect or sandwich pick as well yet continue to pass on the guys. Holding onto these assets seems attractive in principle, but the reality is different or many other teams would have made an offer already. These guys aren't going to command high level prospects.

Again, I'd rather throw the young guys out there in a rebuilding year. Maybe Dopirak rakes at the ML level? Maybe Wallace's bat and defense are big league ready and he can challenge for ROY? Maybe Snider's best defensive position is actually 1B, where he gets comfortable and starts raking on offense because of this comfortability? These are all questions we should be finding out this year. We can't know if Dopirak and/or Wallance are on the farm if Branyan occupies first. We can't advance Snider's offensive capabilities if he's shuffled in/out of the lineup with Damon taking most of the DH AB's. Let's see what these guys can do in a year we're losing probably 90 games.

Leave a comment:

• babaganoosh
    replied
    Originally posted by Greg Maddux's Biggest Fan View Post
    I sincerely hope AA COMMITS to the development process instead of half-assing the way Riccardi did. Bringing in a FA like Damon or Branyan would be doing just that; it may get us 3 or 4 more wins, but we'll still be 15 games out and they won't be around when (hopefully) were ready to compete again.
    You have to remember though that these are short-term (i.e. 1 or 2 year signings). If they can continue their play and then leave via FA, we potentially could have just bought a few more high draft picks or we could trade them mid-season for prospects since the other teams would only be on the hook for whatever pro-rated amount is left. I wouldn't throw 4 or 5 year deals at them, but I wouldn't be upset with anything 2 or less.

While Wallace's bat may be major league ready, his future with us lies at 1B and I would like to see him play an entire year at 1B first and only get the call if we have injuries or during September. If they have to come up and deal with the hitting change, I'd want them to not have to worry about learning a new position at the same time.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by Big_Mac View Post
    Thought I would pass some links along, most from the awesome MLBTR:

The Jays are among two teams (other being the Indians) who have shown interest in Russell Braynan. Dude has power but like Delgado, I really don't see where he fits in, although I don't know where exactly he is position-wise anymore.
    http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/M...on-buzz-012010

Too many links to post but it appears Damon and the Jays won't happen. The Tigers and Braves seem to be making a hard push for Damon but the interesting part is the offer from Atlanta, which is only a one-year, $4 million dollar contract. Wow, it appears Boras really overestimated the market value for his client when he turned down that deal from the Yankees early on.

According to this guys twitter, the Jays are no longer interested in Carlos Delgado. Now it appears Carlos might be considering retirement.
    http://twitter.com/nyp_joelsherman/status/8686658452

And finally, a look at the Jays closer situation from a fantasy perspective.
    http://www.rotoauthority.com/2010/02...blue-jays.html
    I don't really support any FA signing now since we're not winning for at least 2 years. It makes no sense to me whatsoever to plug up the DH/1B spot and take AB's away from one of our young, developing players. Do I like Russell Branyan, especially if I could get him cheap? Sure, but not in a rebuilding year. Keep the roster the way it is, trade Overbay to clear up space at 1B for Wallace/Dopirak or Snider, and just give these guys as many AB's as possible. Let's see how close we are next year before spending out dollars on the FA market.

I sincerely hope AA COMMITS to the development process instead of half-assing the way Riccardi did. Bringing in a FA like Damon or Branyan would be doing just that; it may get us 3 or 4 more wins, but we'll still be 15 games out and they won't be around when (hopefully) were ready to compete again.
    Last edited by Greg Maddux's Biggest Fan; 02-13-2010, 04:15 PM.

Leave a comment:

• vilifyingforce
    replied
    Branyan is interesting, not sure I want to give up the defense Overbay brings for the power bump. His ops+ is only 6 points higher then Overbay. As a DH it wouldn't be too bad. Lind is a better statistical fielder then Branyan. We'd still need a leadoff guy. Could let Gathright do it for a bit if Snider doesn't tear the cover off the ball in camp. Otherwise it's Bowtista leading off. Which is what disappoints me about Damon. And thank god no Delgado. Branyan over Delgado easily. In the end I don't want Wallace/Snider or any kid pushing to be blocked this season though.

And that fantasy report....I can't take anything that refers to Richard Griffin with any serious interest. Griffin is a raging moron.

Leave a comment:

• Big_Mac
    replied
    Thought I would pass some links along, most from the awesome MLBTR:

The Jays are among two teams (other being the Indians) who have shown interest in Russell Braynan. Dude has power but like Delgado, I really don't see where he fits in, although I don't know where exactly he is position-wise anymore.
    http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/M...on-buzz-012010

Too many links to post but it appears Damon and the Jays won't happen. The Tigers and Braves seem to be making a hard push for Damon but the interesting part is the offer from Atlanta, which is only a one-year, $4 million dollar contract. Wow, it appears Boras really overestimated the market value for his client when he turned down that deal from the Yankees early on.

According to this guys twitter, the Jays are no longer interested in Carlos Delgado. Now it appears Carlos might be considering retirement.
    http://twitter.com/nyp_joelsherman/status/8686658452

And finally, a look at the Jays closer situation from a fantasy perspective.
    http://www.rotoauthority.com/2010/02...blue-jays.html

Leave a comment:

replied
    Well, the proof is in the pudding I suppose. Frasor used his changeup 14.8% of the time, up from 5.9% in 2007 and 4.1% in 2008. Looks like this higher percentage came at the expense of his fastball, which he threw noticably less. Thankfully, he stopped throwing that damn cement-mixer curveball, which seemed to get hammered on a consistent basis. Still, I would maintain his much improved control was the biggest reason for his improvement, but the changeup contributed no doubt and the diminished use of the curveball.

Leave a comment:

• babaganoosh
    replied
    Thanks for the link.

Not quite more than the slider as I had suspected, but still a nice percentage for that change-up.

Leave a comment:

• Richmond Hill Phoenix
    replied
    http://www.fangraphs.com/pitchfx.asp...906&position=P

FanGraphs is awesome.

Leave a comment:

• babaganoosh
    replied
    From what I remember, Frasor used his change-up quite a bit, especially as a strike-out pitch. He may have even used it more than his slider from the games I went to. I'm no good with all these baseball statistic websites and stuff, but I believe that there is probably information about what % of the time he throws each pitch?

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by vilifyingforce View Post
    Didn't Frasor develop a new pitch last season? I thought that was why he got better. Could be way off. Half asleep. heh
    I watched quite a few Jays games last year, and I don't recall seeing Frasor use that pitch. If he did, it wasn't frequently. The one thing he did do last year was get away from his curveball, which tended to roll (hang), and stick with his slider, which has way more bite and depth to it. I believe his biggest key to success was A) going with his slider exclusively as his breaking pitch and B) obtaining better control by both walking fewer hitters and throwing more quality strikes within the zone.

Gregg will need more success with B) or it will be more of the same: mediocrity.

Leave a comment:

• babaganoosh
    replied
    ^^Yeah, he added a change-up.

I believe the person who taught it to him was the same guy that helped Johan Santana master his change-up. Don't quote me on the Santana thing though.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X