Jays sign Broadway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jays sign Broadway

The Blue Jays signed righty Lance Broadway to a minor league deal, tweets Shi Davidi of the Canadian Press. Broadway had been non-tendered by the Mets on Saturday night. The 26-year-old posted a 5.87 ERA, 5.3 K/9, and 4.4 BB/9 in 30.6 innings for the Mets and White Sox this year, plus 100.6 innings of 6.17 ball at the Triple A level.
    Not really important...don't know if he'll even stick with Las Vegas this year judging by those numbers :P

Was he once considered a pretty good prospect or do I have him confused with someone else?
    Like Maple Syrup, Canada's evil oozes over the United States.

Comment

You had me curious Chris so I looked it up and he was the White Sox first round pick in 2005, same year as the Jays picked Romero. Someone saw potential in him at one point but if two teams have already dumped him, I'm not sure. Worth the chance I guess.

Comment

Victor Zambrano and his pals John Thomson and Tomo Ohka say hello.
        WAMCO!

Comment

Originally posted by Richmond Hill Phoenix View Post
          Victor Zambrano and his pals John Thomson and Tomo Ohka say hello.
          Matt Clement demands he be included in the club!

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Mac View Post
            Matt Clement demands he be included in the club!
            Let's not forget about Mike Sirotka. Although that was slightly different circumstances.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris from NY View Post
              Let's not forget about Mike Sirotka. Although that was slightly different circumstances.
              Ouch, that one still hurts me inside.

Speaking of awful deals for David Wells, Stoeten who writes for DJF also writes a blog on TheScore and he posted a link the other day that had the Yankees going after Wells when he pitched for the Reds in the 90s. Jim Bowden, who was the GM of the Reds, wouldnt budge and even declined an offer from Steinbrenner that would see both Rivera and Posada go to Cincinnati.

Comment

awww comon guys lol

Its a no risk aquisition, we throw him out at training camp and see if he can be worked into the rotation (even at AAA) if he is good enough to stick iwth the big club or AAA, its a legitimate player heading forward.

Who knows, crazier things have happend. I am sure it wouldnt be a first for a team to sign a young player who other teams have given up on then turn around and become even a contributing fringe major leaguer?

Comment

Ya, its a good point. No risk with a potential decent reward in return. Someone saw something in him once so he could eventually develop into something. We were just more making fun of the no risk hasbeens JP trotted to the mound in the last few years.

Comment

A memento of his appearance at the old Yankee Stadium while with the White Sox...

(Photo taken September 18, 2008. © Gary Dunaier. Link to upload on Flickr.com: here.)

Unfortunately, I have no similar scoreboard shots from his short tenure with the Mets in 2009...
                    X

Comment

Hopefully we do not see those numbers on the Rogers Center scoreboard if this experiment gets this far.

Comment

I guess the thing he has going for him over Okha, Thompson and the rest is that he's only 26. So technically he's not a has been yet.

Comment

Completely agree Woodman, not hating on AA for this one.

Just can't help but get some digs in on JP - he made how many "no-risk" signings?

I guess they turned out. There was no risk of any of them lasting more than a few weeks with the big club.
                          WAMCO!

Comment

This kid reminds me of Doug Davis for some reason.

I will be happy if we can get a #5 starter out of this.

Comment

I saw Broadway pitch and at least that day, he had less than stellar stuff. His fastball was at 88 and his slider was flat. This guy isn't and never was a power pitch; I don't see any plus secondary pitches either. I'm 95% positive this guy will never see significant PT in the big leagues. He's not a youngster anymore either & he's righthanded so his fate is destined for a permanent place in Triple AAA.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X