BBF Blue Jays Hall of Fame - December 2009 Vote

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BBF Blue Jays Hall of Fame - December 2009 Vote

Well, it certainly has been a while since we have had one of these so maybe it is time to do another one. Here are the rules:

Welcome to the Toronto Blue Jay Hall of Fame

Everyone is allowed to vote but please only vote if you have some knowledge about the Jays franchise and history. In the BBFHoF, there is two sections, one for contributors and one for players. We might as well follow the same guidelines as that.

Eligbility - Players must be at least retired one full season and contributors must be at least 60 years of age or retired. Special circumstances will be allowed (see Roy Halladay rule). Players must have played with the Toronto Blue Jays 5 seasons.

Ballot Size - The ballot will consist of 10 players and for 3 contributors

Deadline - I will say January 1st but we will see how many votes we have been then.

Induction - 75% of the ballot will be need to be inducted.
    The Roy Halladay Rule was suggested about 15 minutes ago by our beloved mod, Richmond Hill Phoenix;
    "If any Jays player gives his heart and soul to the team for his entire career, and is traded due to circumstances outside anyone's control (other than the old GM who was a bum and couldn't build a winner around the best pitcher Toronto has ever seen, even with a 5...6...7...8.. year plan), and in the press conference where he is introduced to his new team where he'll have a shot at the WS, he first and foremost thanks his former organization for all the support they gave him, even if that support consisted of getting screwed around at the previous trade deadline, and the remainder of the press conference leads you to empty a full box of kleenex, then the Roy Halladay clause will be invoked. A voting period of 7 days will commence to determine whether said player should immediately be enshrined in the Toronto Blue Jays BBF HOF."
    Basically, you can vote for Roy Halladay on this ballot.

You can view the current inductees here.

Happy voting!

My ballot:

Roy Halladay
    Devon White
    Duane Ward
    Ernie Whitt
    George Bell
    Jimmy Key
    Bobby Mattick
    Jerry Howarth
    Last edited by Big_Mac; 01-12-2010, 08:38 PM.

Comment

Roy Halladay
      Jimmy Key
      Ernie Whitt
      Shawn Green
      Duane Ward
      Jerry Howarth
      Bobby Mattick
      Like Maple Syrup, Canada's evil oozes over the United States.

Comment

Roy Halladay
        Devon White
        Jimmy Key
        Ernie Whitt
        Shawn Green

Bobby Mattick
        Paul Beeston
        J.P. Ricciardi

AHAHAHAHA!!! Sorry...had to do it...you know who to take off my ballot.

Comment

Players:

Roger Clemens

I have to pick Clemens. The two years he spent here were Halladay-esque (haha). I mean:
          • Sustained a WHIP around 1.06ish over an average of 250 IP
          • 2 Cy Youngs
          • Led the league in K's both years, averaging ~280
          • Led the league in ERA (2.05 and 2.65)
          • 9 CG's in 1997
          I'm wondering whether Clemens may have had an impact on a young Halladay in 1998, concerning work ethic and such...

Since I'm basing my rankings almost entirely on time spent with the Jays, I have to put Clemens on my ballot.

Jimmy Key

Had decent longevity with the Jays, and a FILTHY 1987. Glad he was on the team in 1992.

Fred McGriff

Gotta put in a vote for ol' Freddy. A great 1989 with decent production in other years gets him in for me.

Duane Ward

5 years of 100+ IP, with a WHIP of 1.085 from '90-'93, while he was setting up the Terminator, and performed beautifully in 1993 when he got his chance to shine. Converted almost 90% of his saves for a total of 45. He had a WHIP of 1.033 in 1993, which is Mariano Rivera territory.

Roy Halladay

No justification necessary.

Contributors:

Jerry Howarth

How can you not put this man in? 63 years old, been doing his job since 1980. He has been a Canadian citizen for 15 years now and does great work in the community. Him and Alan Ashby are a treat to listen to, and kind of remind me of Tom and Jerry (although Ashby is too modest to ever acknowledge that he's even close to Cheek).

Being born in 1989 and thus not remembering all that much of Cheek, Jerry is my voice of summer.

"And the Blue Jays are in flight!!!"

Bobby Mattick

Not all that sure about what he did for the club, but it seems like a lot. I haven't really been convinced that he's deserving, but I never found anything that dissuaded me from voting for him. So he's in.

Not making the cut...

Devon White: Sorry, but simply not good enough. He OBP's .340 twice, but other than those seasons he wasn't a great leadoff hitter IMO. Sure, great defence and a speedy guy, but his success seems to be more based on the guys hitting behind him than his own talents alone.

Ernie Whitt: I dunno, just not convinced really. Average player, mediocre coach. I could potentially be convinced though...

Pat Borders: His '92 WS just isn't enough for me. Same situation as Whitt though, could maybe be convinced.

Paul Beeston: We'll see how he does this time around... His book's been re-opened, let's hope the new chapter is a good one.

Note:
          I propose that it be specified that Cito is in the BBFBJHOF for his contributions to the team from 1982-1997. I have a feeling that Cito Gaston of recent years will be hampered in his efforts to get in, in large part due to his obsession with Kevin Millar.
          Last edited by Richmond Hill Phoenix; 12-17-2009, 04:20 PM.
          WAMCO!

Comment

great note on cito. I'll put an asterik besides his name.

interesting case for clemens too.

Comment

I can't justify Clemens with just two years of service, no matter how good he was in those two years.

I'll go with:

Ernie Whitt, mainly for his long service with the team,

and

Paul Beeston, for his importance in building the original team.

Comment

Originally posted by Richmond Hill Phoenix View Post
                Bobby Mattick

Not all that sure about what he did for the club, but it seems like a lot. I haven't really been convinced that he's deserving, but I never found anything that dissuaded me from voting for him. So he's in.
                Well he's regarded as one of the best scouting and player development people in baseball and I think he worked something like 30 years before coming to the Jays. With us, he was part of the scouting team that drafted was key in our expansion draft. He eventually played roles with the Jays as the director of scouting, he headed the PD department, managed for us, worked as VP of baseball operations, and probably more that I don't know of. He's basically done it all for us.

Comment

!

Just reminding everyone to get their votes in for this winter's ballot!
                  WAMCO!

Comment

Originally posted by Richmond Hill Phoenix View Post
                    Just reminding everyone to get their votes in for this winter's ballot!
                    I hereby propose a clause wherein I am allowed to vote twice on account of how awesome I am.

Comment

My Ballot

Players:

George Bell
                      Duane Ward
                      Jimmy Key
                      Roy Halladay

Contrib:

Bobby Mattick
                      Paul Beeston
                      Jerry Howarth
                      Last edited by MarinersOrJays; 01-05-2010, 01:39 PM. Reason: add mattick

Comment

I'll leave this open for one more week. Get your votes in everyone!

Originally posted by Chris from NY View Post
                        I hereby propose a clause wherein I am allowed to vote twice on account of how awesome I am.
                        Well, I won't disagree with your awesomeness but I don't know if we can allow that. I'll bring it up with the HoF board members

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Mac View Post
                          Well, I won't disagree with your awesomeness but I don't know if we can allow that. I'll bring it up with the HoF board members
                          I thought me, you and Geoff were the HoF board, and I had three votes to your guys' one. Seems fairly cut and dry.
                          Last edited by Chris from NY; 01-12-2010, 12:10 AM. Reason: Jesus told me to.

Comment

Tripling my vote might be the only way Clemens ever makes it...
                            WAMCO!

Comment

I'm fairly new here. Am I missing something? George Bell?

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X