X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jays in Chapman Sweepstakes

http://www.tsn.ca/mlb/story/?id=304312

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4788226

As per TSN and ESPN, the Jays have held a private workout for Chapman, Anthopolous is believed to be prepared to make an offer for his services.
    Last edited by Woodman19; 01-01-2010, 12:25 PM.

Another forum somone made a great point.

Chapman (if he signed with Toronto) would be allowed to go back and visit Cuba and his family would be allowed to visit him due to the travel restrictions for American's and not Canadians.

That might be a key factor in deciding what team he goes to. Finally an advantage the Yankee's and Red Sox dont have!

Comment

Hmm. This would certainly be something to keep my mind off the loss of the Doctor. I can't say that I know anything about this dude, but hopefully AA makes the right decision.
      WAMCO!

Comment

If Chapman's really as promising as I hear he is, I hope AA makes an AGGRESSIVE play for this guy. He's still just a kid and throws 96 MPH, lefthanded & projectable, if not polished; those kinda prospects arn't up for grabs very often. It would be nice if the Jays came out on top for a change when it comes to signing elite International amateur talent. The last big time International prospect we signed that I can think of is Jose Pett out of Brazil a few years back. Unfortunately he didn't pan out but the point is, we never seem to be in the mix. We have yet to make an impact Japanese signing for example - professional or amateur.

And with the shedding of Halladay's big contract and probably Overbay's, and with the unloading of Rios this past summer AND with the non-signing of 3 high round picks this past draft, there's no reason to not have any cash available. Signing Chapman could help negate the disastrous handling of this past draft, when J.P. failed to sign our #1 and #2 pick, as well as #5 I believe. Let's show that Jays Management can be players in the Free Agent market instead of pretenders.

So in essence, the Jays have 2 big reasons to draft Chapman:

A) He's an world-class international picking prospect with high ceiling - can help compensate for a weak 2009 draft.

AND

B) As a statement move in which the Jays make themselves legitimate players again in amateur and free agent arena. We need this kind of assertiveness to become respected and to make this a destination of choice for talent of all kinds.

Comment

Juan C. Rodriguez of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that the Aroldis Chapman sweepstakes may be nearing a close. According to Rodriguez, Chapman is saying that he "expects to sign within the next three or four days." As many as 15 clubs have shown some degree of interest in the Cuban left-hander, including several small-market franchises.

One such team, the Marlins, are particularly taken with Chapman since they hope that South Florida's large Cuban population will tempt the 21-year-old into signing at something of a hometown discount. Rodriguez reports that the Marlins have already made a $13MM contract offer to Chapman and have now raised that offer --- a wise move given that the Red Sox have already offered Chapman $15.5MM.

The Marlins' maneuvering may be all for naught, however. An unnamed source tells Rodriguez that the Angels and Blue Jays seem to be the favorites to sign the Cuban left-hander, and that Chapman will sign with one of the two clubs for "around $21MM."
          I remember a while back reading that the Jays were going to spend $16 million this year in signing bonuses, so this is probably a large portion of that rumored budget.

Comment

At least three teams are out on Chapman: the Astros, Yankees, and Mets (ESPN's Buster Olney via Twitter, and MLB.com's Brian McTaggart).
            Not a big update, just kind of leaves us in the running

Comment

I heard today that the Jay's and Angel's are the remaining two teams in the running with both offering in the neighbourhood of $21 Million.

Edit: didnt see the reply 2 threads up

Comment

Originally posted by babaganoosh View Post
                I remember a while back reading that the Jays were going to spend $16 million this year in signing bonuses, so this is probably a large portion of that rumored budget.
                I believe this would be separate of that budget, theres no way Rogers is going to commit 6 Million over budget and still expect us to make a splash at the draft.

I think all along, that money saved on Halladay and likely Overbay will take the hit for the cost and not the amateur budget.

Comment

I would be happy to see him in a Blue Jays uniform. I understand that Chapman is far from perfect and does need some help with his control, but given the present state of Blue Jays pitching? Assuming Chapman were to sign with Toronto, him and Drabek (if they pan out) would be a very good duo along with Cecil, Marcum, Romero or whoever else may develop.

Comment

It will be interesting to see if the Jays wind up with him. They have never been players for international free agents and while Chapman would need some time in the minors, he certainly has lethal stuff. I am sure things will begin to transpire over the next few days.

Comment

I'm too lazy to go find the source again, but it's being rumoured that the Jays have offered around $23 million to Chapman.

Comment

Originally posted by babaganoosh View Post
                        I'm too lazy to go find the source again, but it's being rumoured that the Jays have offered around $23 million to Chapman.
                        that was MLB.com

Comment

Originally posted by Woodman19 View Post
                          that was MLB.com
                          Oh...I never really check MLB.com. I normally check other websites that compile articles, so I never really know where they come from :P

And another update:
                          [quote]Ken Rosenthal of FoxSports.com tweets that the Reds are in on Chapman, however the Jays remain the favorite. In a second tweet, Rosenthal mentions that Toronto has money to spend after sending Scott Rolen, Alex Rios, and Roy Halladay packing./quote]

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Mac View Post
                            It will be interesting to see if the Jays wind up with him. They have never been players for international free agents and while Chapman would need some time in the minors, he certainly has lethal stuff. I am sure things will begin to transpire over the next few days.
                            BTW why is that? Toronto is the most international city outside of possibly NY. You would think that guys from outside the US would want to go there.

Comment

Originally posted by aqib View Post
                              BTW why is that? Toronto is the most international city outside of possibly NY. You would think that guys from outside the US would want to go there.
                              American Media dont see it that way, if its not American then its no good.

I think that we have many things working in our favor. the fact that he would be comming to a country with such warm relations with Cuba. Like you pointed out, the fact we have a very international community here. Also we have things hes looking for like a quick development period as we are rebuilding and looking for youth. Not to mention Beeston's friends with his Agents the Hendricks brothers.

I think when its all said and done he will end up here, I just dont want to get to excited about it yet so I dont get disappointed if it doesnt happen.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X