Thoughts on moving Snider?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on moving Snider?

Back on Dec. 16th, Jeff Blair tweeted: "They'll need more pitching. AA's not as a big a fan of Snider as a lot of people .... ".

Today, Daan De Kerpel of TSN.ca asks the question: "Would the Jays consider moving Snider?":
    ...I can't shake the feeling that the club is looking at doing something bigger.

That something would be a deal featuring outfielder Travis Snider.

To be clear, this is pure speculation on my part. I'm not an insider to the Jays 'cone of silence' when it comes to trade talks, but I can't shake the idea that the club is trying to move him.

For me this all comes down to numbers.

Right now, Snider is an outfielder, but it's hard to say how long he'll be able to play acceptable defence there, and that's when the problems could arise.
    Because it looks like Lind/Wallace will fill the DH/1B positions for the forseeable future, de Kerpel speculates that AA might try to move Snider for either a high-ceiling arm or for a speedy OF prospect.

I don't mean this to turn into a thread where people jump in with "OMFGZZ!!! Why would they trade Snider? He's DA BOMB!!" Not that I expect it, but with the way in which some Jays fans react to speculation sometimes, I'm always a little concerned...

But what do you guys think? IMO, it's way too early (especially with Wallace) to say that Snider is blocked at positions where he doesn't even play yet. Sure, he might need to be moved to a position where he presents less of a defensive liability, and those positions might be filled with other players in the organization. But to say that now would be irresponsible I think. Maybe Snider's defense improves, or maybe Wallace tanks this year and Snider all of the sudden becomes our future at 1B. I don't know that any of this will happen, but the fact that there is a chance of it happening makes me think that it would be wise to hang onto a guy who might follow in Lindy's footsteps this year and break out bigtime.

Thoughts?
    WAMCO!

Originally posted by Richmond Hill Phoenix View Post
    Back on Dec. 16th, Jeff Blair tweeted: "They'll need more pitching. AA's not as a big a fan of Snider as a lot of people .... ".

Today, Daan De Kerpel of TSN.ca asks the question: "Would the Jays consider moving Snider?":Because it looks like Lind/Wallace will fill the DH/1B positions for the forseeable future, de Kerpel speculates that AA might try to move Snider for either a high-ceiling arm or for a speedy OF prospect.

I don't mean this to turn into a thread where people jump in with "OMFGZZ!!! Why would they trade Snider? He's DA BOMB!!" Not that I expect it, but with the way in which some Jays fans react to speculation sometimes, I'm always a little concerned...

But what do you guys think? IMO, it's way too early (especially with Wallace) to say that Snider is blocked at positions where he doesn't even play yet. Sure, he might need to be moved to a position where he presents less of a defensive liability, and those positions might be filled with other players in the organization. But to say that now would be irresponsible I think. Maybe Snider's defense improves, or maybe Wallace tanks this year and Snider all of the sudden becomes our future at 1B. I don't know that any of this will happen, but the fact that there is a chance of it happening makes me think that it would be wise to hang onto a guy who might follow in Lindy's footsteps this year and break out bigtime.

Thoughts?
    I don't think anybody should be untouchable on this roster. I would always be looking to make a move which I thought substantially benefited the club. Cant comment if moving Snider would be a good decision without seeing the players coming back in return but I'd keep a dialog open. That said, I like Snider and I think the Jays can find a way to hide his glove in LF by moving Lind over to 1B OR having Snider DH for the time being to see if Dopirak pans out at first base (after trading Overbay); if not Snider could move to LF or 1B, depending on where they think Lind works best.

Comment

I wouldn't consider Snider untouchable but for me to be ok with trading him, you better get at least equal value in return for him. If Snider gets flipped for a young shortstop with similar celings, I would be alright with it but I don't want Toronto to swap him for a few mid-level prospects. I don't regard Snider as highly as some but I still think he can be a major contributor in the ML.

I agree with you RHP, it is too early to tell if Snider is going to be blocked at certain positions. It is hard to say until we know what happens with Overbay and how good Wallace looks early in the season.

Comment

I'm not going to say Snider is untouchable, but for the Blue Jays to trade him would mean that they'd either come out come out of the wrong end of a deal or come out of it just treading water. I don't see them as being in position to win a trade if they're giving up Snider. So I don't really see any rhyme or reason to attempting to trade him.
        Like Maple Syrup, Canada's evil oozes over the United States.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris from NY View Post
          I'm not going to say Snider is untouchable, but for the Blue Jays to trade him would mean that they'd either come out come out of the wrong end of a deal or come out of it just treading water. I don't see them as being in position to win a trade if they're giving up Snider. So I don't really see any rhyme or reason to attempting to trade him.
          I tend to agree with you; I don't see much chance of Jays substantially winning a trade involving Snider. I don't consider his development thus far to be disappointing; on the contrary, he's doing just fine. Great year at Triple AAA last year at 21 years of age. I wouldn't worry as much about the glove as others are at this stage. Heck, the kid hasn't really settled down at one position yet. He'll never be more than adequate at best, but he may not need to be if he has thunder in that bat. Snider is the best insurance the Jays have at the moment for RF/1B/DH or a combination thereof. We still don't have any idea if Wallace or Dopirak are impact major leaguers. And Snider may be the best of the bunch.

Unless overwhelmed, I wouldn't trade Snider until we see how Wallace and Dopirak do at 3B and 1B respectively. If he's truly that bad defensively, perhaps he can rotate field duties Bautista (spelling Lind occasionally) and have him DH at other times. The situation will eventually play itself out. Let's not lose sight of the fact that Snider might be our best hitting prospect.
          Last edited by Greg Maddux's Biggest Fan; 01-03-2010, 09:16 PM.

Comment

Maybe we will trade him for a more athletic player who has similiar upside.

Maybe get a kid who can hit 20HR .300avg with B+ defense?

Other then that, I would rather hold onto him as I believe he is going to be a 30+ HR threat for the better part of his career. I also believe that when you have players of that ability you make room for them. I can honestly say im OK with having 1 subpar defensive outfielder if it means we can plug Snider + Lind + Wallace into the lineup (as they project to be all 30HR-100RBI players)

I do think that it is a reach that we would trade him, simply because AA said he has to earn a spot doesnt mean he doesnt like him. For all we know, it could simply be a motivational technique to get him to kick in that extra gear and do those little things he might be trying to fight?

Comment

No-one is ever untouchable. If someone offers AA a great deal, he'll take it, as he should. Having said that, it's way too early to give up on Snider.

Comment

I would have to be blown away to trade him. For someone with his potential (I believe he was ranked as a top 5 prospect before last season), it's going to be hard to get players that can match those skills. Having said that, if AA sees a package of prospects that he likes, I wouldn't mind it happening since I've been a fan of his 2 trades thus far.

For Dopirak, I think he's pretty old (prospect wise...26? 27?) so I don't know how much of a future he really has with us because by the time he breaks in with us, he'll be in his prime years already. If he does good, he's a guy that I would look to sell high and get some younger guys in.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X