Alomar robbed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alomar robbed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This was insane. He should have been over 80%.

Originally posted by aqib View Post
    This was insane. He should have been over 80%.
    Actually, he should have been over 85%. He's probably the 6th to 8th best second baseman to ever play the game, a 2-time WS champion and stellar defensive player. The writers are a bunch of douches.

Comment

While you can definitely make a case that he should've been inducted in his first year of eligibility, that whole spitting thing and how fast his career declined could be the reason behind him not getting it.

If it makes you feel any better, I think he's a lock to make it next year.

Comment

It doesn't make me feel better. I know this sounds lame but Alomar gave me some of the best moments of my late teens and I have been looking forward to seeing him ge inducted, and its bs that I have to wait another year.

Comment

It doesn't make me feel better. I know this sounds lame but Alomar gave me some of the best moments of my late teens and I have been looking forward to seeing him ge inducted, and its bs that I have to wait another year.
          It does sound lame LOL.

But seriously Alomar was probably the most exciting player the Blue Jays ever had - and the biggest contributor to those back-to-back WS teams. We might not have won it in 1992 had he not hit that clutch 9th inning HR off Eckersley!

Comment

Alomar is a cinch for 2011 election to the Hall along with Blyleven.
            That he barely missed election yesterday is nothing to cry about. Over 73 1/2 per cent is a damn good first time showing. He's an "automatic/shoe-in/sure thing/no-brainer/certainty/lead pipe cinch" for next year.

Comment

Yeah he will get in next year. There are at least 8 no first ballot types, I am disappointed I have to wait another year to see it.

Comment

Some All-Time Greats Were'nt Elected To HOF On Their First Try

Yeah he will get in next year. There are at least 8 no first ballot types, I am disappointed I have to wait another year to see it.
                I still say it's not a major cause for alarm that Alomar barely missed getting elected on his first try. Carlton Fisk , Whitey Ford and no less than Joe Di Maggio are among those who were elected on their second attempt.

Yesterday, Alomar was on a conference call discussing the election results. He was philosophical and upbeat that he did as well as he did. His remarks were drowned out at times by his very disppointed son's crying over the fact that his father didn't make the Hall Of Fame. Like his son, many of Alomar's biggest fans are more upset over yesterday's vote totals than Robby is. He's a lock for 2011. Some writers, have a strange operating procedure. They will withhold their vote for a player in his first election, unless they are absolutely convinced that the player is one of the greatest who's ever lived. Yet, they'll give the player their vote the next year. It's a strange way to operate, but it's a fact of life. With those first ballot withholders giving Alomar their vote next year, Robbie should get elected by a wide margin. Historically speaking, no one has ever come as close as Alomar and Blyleven, getting over 70 per cent of the vote but less than the electable 75% and who had at least one year of remaining eligibility, who was not elected the following year. Robin Roberts and Tony Perez also fall in the near-miss, but elected the following year category.
                Last edited by philliesfiend55; 01-07-2010, 10:43 AM.

Comment

I was pretty upset with Roberto Alomar not making it into the HOF this year, but quickly realized that only forty-four players have made it into the HOF on their instance on the ballot. Robbie's peer at 2B in the time period Ryne Sandberg also took a couple of years to make it too. I have no doubt that he will be there eventually.

However, I was watching Off the Record (for those who don't know: a revolving panel discusses sports topics) and Michael Landsberg had Jack McCaffery of the Delaware County Times (or something like that). Mr. McCaffery did not vote for Robbie because of the spitting incident, but had voted for Mark McGwire despite the controversy surrounding him. The entire interview made me quite angry as I could not understand this man's logic.

I read somewhere that the New York writers might have it out for Alomar because he struggled when he came to the Mets. I won't comment further on that until I see proof that the majority of NY writers did not vote for him.

Comment

jaysfan, I too was watching OTR and it was interesting to hear McCaffery's logic. While I disagreed vehemetly and felt his explanations were a little out there (no to Alomar but yes to McGwire, Clemens?), I got the feeling he wasn't not voting for Alomar just to be different. He had his reasons and as wrong as they were, at least he had a reason. I get the feeling some HoF voters won't vote for a guy just to skewer the results.

He will get in next year, no doubt, so we will just have to wait an extra year to see him get in. I have to say, despite being a Jays fan, I wanted Blyleven to get in more than Alomar this year. Hopefully they are both enshrined next year and IMO, they both deserve to be. Congrats to former Expo Andre Dawson, I hope he goes in with a Montreal hat.

BTW, this will be the last time you will ever seeing my repping Kenny Rosenthal but he hit the nail on the head with the Alomar issue:

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/R...d-in-Hall-vote

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Maddux's Biggest Fan View Post
                      Actually, he should have been over 85%. He's probably the 6th to 8th best second baseman to ever play the game, a 2-time WS champion and stellar defensive player. The writers are a bunch of douches.
                      Who are the six or seven better?
                      "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
                      Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Originally posted by runningshoes View Post
                        Who are the six or seven better?
                        According to the baseball page, which I agree with in players and rank:

1. Eddie Collins
                        2. Joe Morgan
                        3. Rogers Hornsby
                        4. Nap Lajoie
                        5. Charlie Gehringer
                        6. Jackie Robinson
                        7. Frankie Frisch
                        8. Roberto Alomar

You could have Alomar as high as 6 if you don't give Robinson the Negro League credit and rank him just above Frisch. But either way, this list looks about right to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Philly-brownsfan View Post
                          I still say it's not a major cause for alarm that Alomar barely missed getting elected on his first try. Carlton Fisk , Whitey Ford and no less than Joe Di Maggio are among those who were elected on their second attempt.
                          I understand all that and the history of guys not getting in on the first try. Like I said earlier in this thread Alomar is at the center of some of my best memories of my late teens. Like a lot of guys, baseball was the one thing that kept me and my dad close when we had nothing else in common. My dad turns 70 this year and isn't the healthiest guy in the world, we have never really been able to reconnect in the way we want, and I want to take him to Cooperstown when Alomar goes in. I hope he has another year.

Comment

This election was not a shining moment for the BBWAA. To elect Dawson and pass on Alomar, Raines, Blyleven, Larkin and Trammell was pretty poor.

Sometimes you have to accept that the writers are human and that 75% approval is a mighty high bar to clear. It didn't help Alomar that he went into such a dramatic decline went he went to NY.
                            Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

Originally posted by KCGHOST View Post
                              This election was not a shining moment for the BBWAA. To elect Dawson and pass on Alomar, Raines, Blyleven, Larkin and Trammell was pretty poor.

Sometimes you have to accept that the writers are human and that 75% approval is a mighty high bar to clear. It didn't help Alomar that he went into such a dramatic decline went he went to NY.
                              Passing on Trammell was one of their correct decisions.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X