Alomar robbed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Big_Mac View Post
    BTW, this will be the last time you will ever seeing my repping Kenny Rosenthal but he hit the nail on the head with the Alomar issue:

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/R...d-in-Hall-vote
    I agree. It sounds like there are a lot of uninformed voters out there, and that perhaps something should be done about it.

At the same time, the right guys USUALLY get into the hall, though it might take a couple of tries. Overall, not something that I get overly worked up about.
    WAMCO!

Comment

Alomar in a Mets uniform projected as a bum for the ages. It wasn't just his skills, which evaporated overnight: he seemed a real malingerer. It would take a lot to convince anyone who saw that phase of his career that he's a Hall of Famer at all, much less a first ballot lock.

What you have is a guy with a 10 year prime that was very, very good, and not much else. No real longevity. And an unappealing character. For anyone to argue that such a player not only deserves election to the HOF, but deserves a first ballot election by acclamation is laughable.

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose View Post
        Alomar in a Mets uniform projected as a bum for the ages. It wasn't just his skills, which evaporated overnight: he seemed a real malingerer. It would take a lot to convince anyone who saw that phase of his career that he's a Hall of Famer at all, much less a first ballot lock.

What you have is a guy with a 10 year prime that was very, very good, and not much else. No real longevity. And an unappealing character. For anyone to argue that such a player not only deserves election to the HOF, but deserves a first ballot election by acclamation is laughable.
        METS PERFORMANCE>anything else one might have done in his career.

To expect anyone to view things with the same tunnel vision as you do is beyond laughable.
        Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
        Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
        Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
        Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
        Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Cold Nose View Post
          METS PERFORMANCE>anything else one might have done in his career.

To expect anyone to view things with the same tunnel vision as you do is beyond laughable.
          No need to put words in my mouth. I can speak for myself.

Look: the guy had a 10 year prime that was excellent. That's it. He didn't have longevity and he didn't have a good character. You can look at the spitting incident, the accusations of his exposing his girlfriend to AIDS through unprotected sex, his malingering in a Mets uniform, the way he bounced from team to team, often leaving a bad taste in people's mouths...

If you want to argue that this guy should be a first ballot Hall of Famer like Ruth, Gehrig, Mays, etc., than go ahead.

I respectfully disagree.

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

Comment

I'll never understand the premium being placed on being a 'first ballot hall of famer.' If a guy is hall worthy, they he should be inducted. Although it sucks that Alomar didn't get voted in this time around, it doesn't break my heart because I think, at the end of the day, his career speaks for itself, and he'll end up in the hall. And if New York Mets fans disagree, then too bad. I guess he just won't be wearing a Mets hat once he makes it.
            Like Maple Syrup, Canada's evil oozes over the United States.

Comment

Yeah, I wish the idea of "1st ballot HOF'er" just went away, and you were either a HOF'er or you weren't. It's not voting for Alomar this time around, with the intention to vote for him on a later ballot that bugs me.

I really try not to get small stuff like this get to me, and since he'll get in eventually it isn't a big deal at all (I wouldn't say that he was 'robbed!!!...."). But the creation by the writers of a upper echelon among HOF'ers is unnecessary IMO.
              WAMCO!

Comment

I was wondering if any Cleveland based writers left Alomar off their ballots. Alomar put up some good numbers with the Indians, but he had an unfortunate tendency to dog it on the field (this was a trait that he shared with his brother). My most vivid memory of Roberto Alomar was watching him look like he was just giving up during the 2001 Division Series against the Mariners. IIRC the Indians got rid of him pretty quickly after this Series ended. I don't remember him being especially popular in Cleveland, and there were reports that him and his brother were toxic in the clubhouse. He was a good player, but he was no Albert Belle or Jim Thome. I can't say I was surprised that he wasn't a first ballot HOFer.

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose View Post
                  He didn't have longevity and he didn't have a good character. You can look at the spitting incident, the accusations of his exposing his girlfriend to AIDS through unprotected sex, his malingering in a Mets uniform, the way he bounced from team to team, often leaving a bad taste in people's mouths...
                  The spitting incident as obviously bad judgement, but if Hirschbeck can look past it and become friends with Robbie, why do you insist on continuing to make it such a big deal?

In terms of the accusations, why does this affect him at all? Someone accuses you of something and you have to be a horrible person? She even withdrew her lawsuit when she didn't have any evidence at all. If I accuse you of giving me AIDS and nothing gets proven, does that mean you have bad character as well?

The way he bounced from team to team is also suppose to be a sign of bad character? He was traded from the Padres in a trade that net them Fernandez and McGriff, so they obviously thought highly of him to trade him for that kind of return. He left Toronto for Baltimore as a FA because Toronto was rebuilding (unless you think Halladay would have bad character for leaving next year too...), then free agency again to Cleveland to play with his brother. Gee, that must've been his fault. And if you're trying to argue the Mets, ChiSox, or D'Backs, he bounced around because of performance issues.

The only "bad taste" seems to only come from the New York Mets media and fans. I don't hear anybody from his other former teams trying to defend the decision to not induct him into the HOF.

Comment

Originally posted by EdTarbusz View Post
                    I was wondering if any Cleveland based writers left Alomar off their ballots. Alomar put up some good numbers with the Indians, but he had an unfortunate tendency to dog it on the field (this was a trait that he shared with his brother). My most vivid memory of Roberto Alomar was watching him look like he was just giving up during the 2001 Division Series against the Mariners. IIRC the Indians got rid of him pretty quickly after this Series ended. I don't remember him being especially popular in Cleveland, and there were reports that him and his brother were toxic in the clubhouse. He was a good player, but he was no Albert Belle or Jim Thome. I can't say I was surprised that he wasn't a first ballot HOFer.
                    Bill Livingston said he would vote for him next year but left him off this year, citing the 2001 series. I am sure there are others who buy into the first ballot being the Hall within a hall.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X