Jays sign Lind to extension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jays sign Lind to extension

The Blue Jays have signed Adam Lind to a four year deal worth $18MM, tweets MLB.com's Jordan Bastian. Jon Paul Morosi of FoxSports.com tweets that the deal also includes three club options for 2014, 2015, and 2016.

Lind was entering his final pre-arbitration season in 2010, and wasn't scheduled to become a free agent until after the 2013 season. The deal buys out all three years of arbitration eligibility, and gives the team options for three free agent years.

The 26-year-old Lind broke out in a big way last season, hitting .305/.370/.562 with 46 doubles and 35 homeruns. Even though he's mostly a leftfielder and designated hitter, Toronto appears to get a tremendous bargain here. For comparison's sake, Nick Markakis will earn $20.455MM for the same chunk of his career, and that doesn't include the options.
    I love Anthopoulos (no homo...ok maybe a little after this deal). If I recall correctly, this is very similar to the Aaron Hill deal where we lock him up for his arbitration years and then get 3 club options afterwards. If Lind can even turn out the same production he did last year without any improvement over the course of this contract, this will be a steal.

Originally posted by babaganoosh View Post
    I love Anthopoulos (no homo...ok maybe a little after this deal). If I recall correctly, this is very similar to the Aaron Hill deal where we lock him up for his arbitration years and then get 3 club options afterwards. If Lind can even turn out the same production he did last year without any improvement over the course of this contract, this will be a steal.
    I'm surprised Lind came so cheaply. Sure, the security is great. But surely Lind could have received more money than this during his arbitration years, especially if he kept producing like last year. Throw in the club options and its great for the Jays.

Comment

Great deal for this club both short and longterm. I enjoyed this deal even before I heard of the club options, which is even better. This is a real friendly contract for the Jays and I am happy Lind decided to stay in Toronto for a long period of time. I hope him and Hill continue their success and make it easier for this team to rebuild back up into some better years.

Comment

Great deal, term and dollars
        Looks like AA has a real plan which would be nice to see for once after JP's fiasco

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X