Toronto Blue Jays - May 2010 Game Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toronto Blue Jays - May 2010 Game Discussion

Thought maybe we could make a discussion thread per every month of the season to prevent a season one from getting overcrowded. The game threads weren't used enough to justify making a new one for each series so I will just post series info for each series in here, starting after this one.

Opening Day is here! Gametime is 2 EST on Sportsnet, on every channel as well!

Lineups for Game #1:

JAYS
    1. Jose Bautista - RF
    2. Aaron Hill - 2B
    3. Adam Lind - DH
    4. Vernon Wells - CF
    5. Lyle Overbay - 1B
    6. John Buck - C
    7. Edwin Encarnacion - 3B
    8. Alex Gonzalez - SS
    9. Travis Snider - LF
    PITCHER - Shaun Marcum

RANGERS
    1. Julio Borbon - CF
    2. Michael Young - 3B
    3. Josh Hamilton - LF
    4. Vlad Guerrero - DH
    5. Nelson Cruz - RF
    6. Chris Davis - 1B
    7. Jarrod Saltalamacchia - C
    8. Andres Blanco - 2B
    9. Elvis Andrus - SS
    PITCHER - Scott Feldman

Too hard to analyze opening day, so let's just sit back and enjoy the first game of baseball this season!

TORONTO BLUE JAYS @ TEXAS RANGERS (April 5th, 7th, 8th and the Ballpark in Arlington)

Probables
    Game 1: Shaun Marcum (2009 Stats: N/A) @ Scott Feldman (2009 Stats: 17-8, 4.08)
    Game 2: Brian Tallet (2009 Stats: 7-9, 5.32) @ Rich Harden (2009 Stats: 9-9, 4.09)
    Game 3: Ricky Romero (2009 Stats: 13-9, 4.30) @ C.J. Wilson (2009 Stats: 5-6, 2.81)

Injuries
    TOR - SP Dustin McGowan (Arm, 15-Day DL); 3B Edwin Encarnacion (Wrist, Day-to-Day)

TEX - 2B Ian Kinsler (Ankle, 15-Day DL); OF Nelson Cruz (Thumb, Day-to-Day)

2009 Leaders
    STAT..............TOR................TEX
    AVG................Lind (.305)........Young (.322)
    HR..................Hill (36)............Cruz (33)
    RBI.................Lind (114).........Byrd (86)
    Wins...............Halladay (17)....Feldman (17)
    Saves.............Frasor (11).......Francisco (25)
    SB..................Rios (19)..........Andrus (33)

TV and Radio Schedule
    Game 1, 2, 3: All games are on Sportsnet (National) and FAN590.

Comment

Just from those line-ups, I'm a little surprised Buck is hitting in front of Encarnacion and the same goes for Gonzo/Snider.

And on a rather sad note, I have no tv where I'm living and no radio...so no Blue Jays baseball for me for a while Unless I sit in my car for 3 hours during the game :P

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Mac View Post
        Opening Day is here! Gametime is 2 EST on Sportsnet, on every channel as well!
        Sweet! That really bugged melast year! They didn't have the game on sportsnet west. I sent an email to Sportsnet to complain. They replied by telling me to subscribe to all the channels, and I wouldn't have that problem. Jerks.

Too hard to analyze opening day, so let's just sit back and enjoy the first game of baseball this season!
        Well said. I like watching opening day. it sounds cliched, but everyone is in first place, and the crushing truths we all must face about a season of dissappointment are placed out of mind, to be fretted over at a later date.
        Like Maple Syrup, Canada's evil oozes over the United States.

Comment

Originally posted by babaganoosh View Post
          Just from those line-ups, I'm a little surprised Buck is hitting in front of Encarnacion and the same goes for Gonzo/Snider.

And on a rather sad note, I have no tv where I'm living and no radio...so no Blue Jays baseball for me for a while Unless I sit in my car for 3 hours during the game :P
          Me too. I hope Cito eventually moves Snider up in the order. It makes no sense to me and actually kind of bothers me. Buck is not anymore deserving of batting 6th then Encarnacion and Snider. Although I don`t mind this lineup as much as I thought. And don`t worry, the boys at BBF will keep you aprised of all Jays related info!

Originally posted by Chris from NY View Post
          Sweet! That really bugged melast year! They didn't have the game on sportsnet west. I sent an email to Sportsnet to complain. They replied by telling me to subscribe to all the channels, and I wouldn't have that problem. Jerks.
          Oh, did that bug the hell outta me to. The worst was when the cut out the Twins tiebreaker game over here because the Flames were on TV. I flipped out on the person on the phone. The one bad thing about living here in Canada as a baseball fan: Hockey is first and has priority over everything else.

Comment

Couple of early thoughts from the first inning:

Booya Vernon! Great job to temporarily (for an inning anyway) silence your detractors! He should just keep doing that, and I'll be happy.

And boy do I ever miss Shaun Marcum's change up. I love that pitch and it's great to see it again.

Comment

Geez, Marcum has a no-hitter through six; that's quite an impressive comeback! As for the hitting, it's basically following the script of what to expect this season: 3-4-5 hitter gets on base/gets XBH/goes deep - rest of lineup does nothing. Only it will be Hill in the mix much more often than Wells.

Comment

Tough break on the loss today. You're right about the line-up; the top of the order can only do so much without the help from everyone else. We saw that today. You can't win just by getting home runs and extra base hits, the bottom has to produce a bit too and manufacture a run or two. Snider and Encarnacion should help that if they hit well.

Anyone else think it might have been better to put Ruiz in for Overbay when Oliver came out of the bullpen? I know Overbay's solid D is important in the later innings, but that was a costly strike out?

Comment

I agree with you Chris. I really like Overbay but he's pretty putrid against lefties. If you played the numbers, Ruiz would probably be the better option. Hard to say what Ruiz would be like off the bench, hard to say. I've said this many times, but I think Overbay would be much better suited as a #2 hitter. I would probably have a lineup like this:

1. Bautista
                  2. Overbay
                  3. Hill
                  4. Lind
                  5. Wells
                  6. Encarnacion

Overbay batting higher in the order would allow an extra guy to get on-base before Hill and Lind get up. I think it would help the offense, but I'll try not to go around and rewrite the script after one game.

Excellent game by Marcum. I really thought we were going to see that no-hitter today, he was absolutely dominate through six. That change-up is sick and he didn't look out of form. Then it appeared he just ran out of gas in the 7th, although it is hard to fault him for Cruz's HR, which was just sheer power from Cruz to take it yard. Nice to see good games from Wells and Lind. Hopefully Wells continues this up, that HR pitch was one he used to roll over on last year. Hate to start getting excited after one game, but it is promising.

Comment

Didn't catch the game last night but saw the afternoon manitee today and despite not giving Romero the win he deserved, that ninth inning was quite impressive.

Don't know what to say about Vernon. Wow. His swing looked much more compact this year and as Sportsnet was showing, he is using alot more upper-body. He looked real good at the plate right now and hopefully, he can keep somewhat up.

As I said before, solid performance from Romero. Real good, gutsy efforts by both starters today. Jannsen looked good in the 8th too. Frasor is giving me the dizzies watching him close but I guess I will get used to it. I still believe he is the Jays best option to close.

I know it's only three games in, but the Buck-Molina duo behind the plate looks like it might produce the most anemic offensive season by any catcher duo in the last little bit. Molina not being able to get the bunt down is really unexcusable. Free Raul Chavez! And Snider looked baaaaad this series. I know it's early and he is young, but I'm not going to **** on Cito for batting him ninth now, not for a while anyways.

McCoy left a good first impression today too.

Comment

Wells is exciting me. Let's hope he stays confident and keeps up this pace.

Not sure what to make of Snider. I'm not about to push the panic button on him, but I'm glad he's hitting 9th.

I'm starting to get a Miguel Batista vibe from Frasor. I'd still prefer him as the closer over Down or Gregg though. Not because I don't like Downs, but because I like Downs to be free to be used whenever as opposed to just the 9th.

Comment

TORONTO BLUE JAYS (2-1) @ BALTIMORE ORIOLES (1-2) (April 9th, 10th, 11th at Camden Yards)

Probables
                        Game 1 (3:05 EST): Brandon Morrow (2009 Stats: 2-4, 4.39) @ Brad Bergesen (2009 Stats: 7-5, 3.43)
                        Game 2 (7:05 EST): Dana Eveland (2009 Stats: 2-4, 7.16) @ David Hernandez (2009 Stats: 4-10, 5.48)
                        Game 3 (1:05 EST): Shaun Marcum (0-0, 3.86) @ Kevin Millwood (0-0, 3.60)

Injuries
                        TOR - SP Dustin McGowan (Arm, 15-Day DL); 2B Aaron Hill (Groin, Day-to-Day)
                        BAL - SP Koji Uehara (Hamstring, 15-Day DL); OF Felix Pie (Rotator Cuff, Day-to-Day); RP Jim Johnson (Arm, Day-to-Day)

2009 Leaders
                        STAT..............TOR................BAL
                        AVG................Lind (.305)........Markakis (.293)
                        HR..................Hill (36)............Scott (25)
                        RBI.................Lind (114).........Markakis (101)
                        Wins...............Halladay (17)....Guthrie (10)
                        Saves.............Frasor (11).......Sherrill (20)
                        SB..................Rios (19)..........Roberts (30)

TV and Radio Schedule
                        Game 1, 2, 3: All games are on Sportsnet (National) and FAN590.

Comment

I agree with you Chris. I really like Overbay but he's pretty putrid against lefties. If you played the numbers, Ruiz would probably be the better option. Hard to say what Ruiz would be like off the bench, hard to say. I've said this many times, but I think Overbay would be much better suited as a #2 hitter. I would probably have a lineup like this:

1. Bautista
                          2. Overbay
                          3. Hill
                          4. Lind
                          5. Wells
                          6. Encarnacion

Overbay batting higher in the order would allow an extra guy to get on-base before Hill and Lind get up. I think it would help the offense, but I'll try not to go around and rewrite the script after one game.

Excellent game by Marcum. I really thought we were going to see that no-hitter today, he was absolutely dominate through six. That change-up is sick and he didn't look out of form. Then it appeared he just ran out of gas in the 7th, although it is hard to fault him for Cruz's HR, which was just sheer power from Cruz to take it yard. Nice to see good games from Wells and Lind. Hopefully Wells continues this up, that HR pitch was one he used to roll over on last year. Hate to start getting excited after one game, but it is promising.
                          Overbay can't hit a beach ball and he shouldn't be hitting 5th in the order. Just think of who we could have signed with the $7 million hes making this year...

I would rather have two sparkplugs in the 1-2 spot with high OBP and move Hill, Lind and Wells to the 3-4-5 spots eventually.
                          http://www.blackbetsy.com/movies/joeatbat.mpg

Comment

The thing is, Overbay DOES have a high on-base percentage.

I really don't understand the hatred for Overbay by some fans. Last season, he had a better OBP than both Hill and Lind at .372; which placed him second on the team amongst regulars. I don't find him to be the greatest run-producer, so I would much rather have him batting second, where he can use his plate discipline and eye at the plate to help the club win. He isn't the best against left-handers but he hit .282 against right-handers last season. I certainly wouldn't say he couldn't hit a beach ball.

Anyways, decent game today and they once against came back to collect the victory. Morrow definatley has the stuff to succeed, he just didn't locate early today and it hurt him. Good game by the bullpen again today, two straight good appearances by Gregg to start the season.

Comment

The thing is, Overbay DOES have a high on-base percentage.

I really don't understand the hatred for Overbay by some fans. Last season, he had a better OBP than both Hill and Lind at .372; which placed him second on the team amongst regulars. I don't find him to be the greatest run-producer, so I would much rather have him batting second, where he can use his plate discipline and eye at the plate to help the club win. He isn't the best against left-handers but he hit .282 against right-handers last season. I certainly wouldn't say he couldn't hit a beach ball.

Anyways, decent game today and they once against came back to collect the victory. Morrow definatley has the stuff to succeed, he just didn't locate early today and it hurt him. Good game by the bullpen again today, two straight good appearances by Gregg to start the season.
                              I don't have the stats infront of me, but I'm sure if you compare his stats for other everyday first basemen in the league, he will most likely be at the bottom of the list in terms of HR, RBI for starters. His AVG isn't bad, but he never gets that clutch hit when you need it. I'm also betting his AVG with RISP is very low too. I don't think he has "great plate discipline" because he seems to stand there with the bat on shoulder and looks afraid to swing the bat. I'm just tired of seeing him hitting so high in the order and doing nothing. It seems like the only time he reaches base is from walks! He stands there with the bat on shoulder and hits measly little pop ups or groundballs when he actually makes contact. To top it all off, hes making $7 million a year! $7 million a year and all he's done for us is get roughly 15 HR and 60-70 RBI?? That is not getting bang for the buck. i probably repeated myself in that rant, but its late and im tired!
                              http://www.blackbetsy.com/movies/joeatbat.mpg

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X